Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Bench Racers Journal
Chapter 76

As much as I wanted to stay at the fence and watch them make laps, there were more pressing things to get done. My objective was to focus on Franks kart and try to fix everything he had worked on. Hopefully I can make some serious changes quick enough before they run out of gas on the track. Or someone ends up on their head. But I am staying positive at the moment.

Back at Franks pit I give his kart a complete once over. Everything dad had tried to beat in my head was now clicking away. I see many of the same mistakes me and Steve had made every time over and over when first assembling my kart and even later on his kart.

At first I was overwhelmed. Every nut and bolt had some issue that needed to be addressed. I just started at the very front and preceded to work my way to the back bumper. I cant believe all the small crap Frank did that ended up jacking his kart up so much.

One thing I really cant believe he spent the time doing. He had shimmed up both the pedals with washers. This did take the slop out of them, but also would not allow free movement either. You push the brake pedal down and it would just stay there before slowly releasing.

The same would have happened for his gas pedal if it wasnt stuck under the tie-rod. Frank ended up swapping the short tie-rod from the right to the left side. This now allowed the top of his gas pedal to push against the long tie rod and get stuck underneath. He pushed it down far enough right under that tie-rod and it stayed there.

These pedals are the short cast aluminum ones that were used on all of the earlier models of Darts. Up until the new A-Bone which had just come out recently. That one has 3/8 round stock bent sort of in the shape of a modified Z. They are taller and easier to maneuver with your feet.

The older cast pedals are perfect to get stuck under the tie-rod if things are just right. Or just wrong in this case. Wrong as in not adjusted correctly. Seems Frank has that down to a science. I also realized Frank must have panicked while out there. His kart still has the smaller 1/2 inch steering shaft. The Cates had a beefier 5/8 shaft. So much difference that it doesnt flex at all like this one. Frank had managed to twist his steering shaft. The wheel is not only rotated off center, but also bent to one side.

I needed a bar to use as leverage to fix this somehow. Looking around the pits, there was an old fence post sitting on the far side by the gate. With some luck, I managed to twist the steering shaft back centered and straight. Well close enough for now.

It would be wise of Frank to replace this shaft with the larger one. As in real soon. Frank should also replace this smaller quarter midget style cast aluminum steering wheel with one of the new wheels from Azusa or like the new A-bone has.

Doesnt surprise me to find the kingpin bolts so tight the steering wheel is difficult to turn. I tried to turn the wheel. It finally budged, but stayed where I had stopped turning it. I had to force it back to center. At first I thought maybe the steering shaft was put into a major bind, but now realize that is not the case. Soon as I backed off those large bolts the steering freed up like it used to be. Before Frank fixed it that is.

Doing the best I could, the toe-in was set in under 1/16th of an inch. I remember that is what Frank told me it was originally set to. Maybe with Franks eagle eye vision it could have been set perfectly. Ha-ha. If there is a problem, then an easy fix since the tie-rod ends have right and left hand threads. After adjusting the brake and throttle linkage, I was getting more confident this job could be done soon.

I was not sure how to fix the axle bearings. Frank had pulled back the seals and stuffed them full of some type of high temp aircraft grease. They were tight. Well they had some serious drag. The axle was also in a bind from all of those locking collars. With some patience, I knocked them loose and then only tightened the set screws on the motor mount. On the frame I left them locked, but not so much as they were before. Then also made sure the set screws were good and tight.

In my parts and tools stash, there is a squirt can of solvent. Really just dirty paint thinner from the parts washer. It sometimes helps with cleanup on things. This time it was used to wash out as much of that grease as I could manage. After several tries, the axle was now rotating a lot easier. But still tighter than I would have settled for on my kart.

Franks super fast Dart proto kart does have dual motor mounts. These are not all chrome plated and nice looking like on the new model A-bone. But just welded together plates to form the same shape as comes on the new model. But with these two mounts means there are also a total of six axle bearings rotating. Or in this case dragging. So I decided to remove the extra motor mount and secure those two bearings together with a single bolt.

The flangettes had been hammered on to tighten around the axle bearing so it could not freely self-align when frame flexed. For this I had little choice but to shim them apart. After digging in a trash can I found a foil wrapping that still had a partially eaten hotdog that was dried out and shriveled up.

There was a colony of ants claiming its territory in the wrapping. Folding over the foil several layers ended up working out well for making a shim. I did manage to get these axle bearings loosened up a lot more. It looked messy, but now I was more confident the kart would handle much better.

The chain was still running close to being true. Finally something that I didnt have to fix. Instead a small adjustment snugging it up just a little bit more since it had made one very erratic first lap. Another quick once over and I thought Franks kart might survive for a second lap. With the kart still sitting up on this short barrel, I started his engine. It still sounded way too lean. The engine would not idle down and had a hollow raspy sound.

I backed off the idle screw and richened up the low speed needle. That seemed to fix the problem. Now the engine would act like it was loading up and start to die if sitting for more than a few seconds idling. But that is where I had my carburetor set. It seemed to have a lot more punch out of the turns this way. Time to oil all of the moving parts and get this kart ready for a trial run.

I went out to the fence to see how our new student was doing. Frank was still following Steve. There is no way he would pass Steve and be able to pull away. That is impossible with the way my engine is running with Steve driving and Franks extra dead weight on Steves kart. Steve was going at a fairly fast pace by now. Frank did seem to stay close to him in the faster turns. Not so much his old driving style either. The kart would get jerky in some turns, but Frank would get back off the brake pedal quick enough not to loose too much ground on Steve.

Overall I think Frank could be trained and maybe learn how to drive. He said his driving style was what it took to get that Sears kart around the track fast. Maybe I should steer clear of those karts if one ever shows up. At the tracks edge, I motioned for Steve to speed it up. He acknowledged me and pushed down the gas pedal not holding anything back.

Now was the moment to see how bad Frank is set in his ways. For his first lap, Frank is keeping himself smooth. Not parking it in the turns like before. But soon as Steve pulled away another kart length, I started to see Franks instincts kick back in and do the drag race style driving like before.

Oh well, some improvement is better than nothing. At least I know Frank might be able to hang with someone driving their line. That is until there is enough distance for Frank not to use the other kart to help him actually drive a good line around.

It was about time to bring them in. I am ready to get some more laps in today. Looking down at myself, there is dirt and grease from top to bottom, after the precision surgical operation I had just performed on Franks super duper Dart kart. I wave my hands and Steve raises his and takes the exit off the track. He had an expression between a smile and a smirk. Dint know what to think just then about that.

For some reason Frank chose to stay out on the track. OK, Steve isnt going to like this at all. Steve gets out of my kart and walks over to me by the fence. I was watching Frank to see how his driving is out there alone. Steve then finally speaks up. I hope that was worth it to you. YOU owe me big time too. So what was this great idea I would be all in for anyway?

All in due time Steve. Dont try to hurry it up too much, it may still backfire on us. So how was it out there Steve?

Hah!, I guess you didnt watch us at all or wouldnt be asking. Am I right to think that? Well the first few laps I was just about to take that jerk out. I dont know if your rear bumper is bent or not, but I now would say that now it is.

After about half dozen laps he started to calm down. I was at my wits end with him. But bid my time, in case an opportunity came to send him off into the weeds. He eventually started running a lot smoother. I could tell early on he was driving like the last time we were out here. All drag race and no drive. But that started to change. He seemed to instinctively keep trying to brake hard, but began to let off each time. Then I could tell he was running closer to me.

Another dozen laps I was running a little bit faster. It took him time to adjust again. Back to the brake slam technique for a lap of two. Then started running with me again. A little too jerky sometimes, but seemed to correct himself quick enough not to loose much ground.

Each time I sped up too much it was easy to tell he was back to old habits, so decided just to keep at a steady pace and let him follow close as possible. It is amazing what you can see out there when not trying to keep up with the kart ahead or having someone pushing too hard behind.

So maybe it wasnt so bad having to put up with him out there. He isnt that scary on the track. Just when he starts barking at me that makes my skin crawl. Did everything go like you wanted? Is his kart fixed or has this just a waste of an afternoon?

Waste? Steve didnt you just tell me about seeing things you never noticed before driving the track? That is something that helps a lot after we start racing for real. You can better pick your braking points and adjust as needed in different driving situations. That doesnt sound like a waste to me at all.

Yea, well if you say so. It was still a whole lot of laps made that were not under more of a favorable race condition. So I dont see it helping so much. Call me skeptical.

After a few laps it seemed Frank was definitely resorting back to his old habits. But now he might actually be aware of the problem with his driving. So I thought or maybe just being hopeful. It is about time he is pulling in off the track. Takes his time getting out of Steves kart. But finally gets up and removes that new McHals helmet he is so proud of.

Well that was a fun little ride. Cant say it did much good. I managed to take a much closer look at the track. For what advantage it was, I dont know. Those puny bushing motors are like riding a lawn mower. Just sitting there sipping on a cold beer and cruise around the yard all day.

So what was the reason for my driving lesson kiddo? I did get a better handle on the track layout. Cant say that it will do much to drop my lap times any better than they already are. Well maybe after I figure what is up with my kart, then really give this track something to brag about.

Steve looks over at me and just smirks. Not holding it back just for me to see either. I thought he was going to just let go and rip Frank a new one. I have to admit, that would be something I could see me or him doing after the way Frank was acting. But I am not giving up just yet.

Something else in my head is working on a way to either improve Franks driving or at least hear him admit he totally sucks. I cant understand him being so blind to what is obvious to me and Steve right now.

Steve pushes his kart off from the impound area and heads it back to our pits. Without even caring, he runs right over Franks foot. He never acknowledges it or nods his awareness of obviously doing so. I sure cant blame him right now. Frank seems to be in a world of his own. Sometimes he comes across with a real acute sense of awareness. But other times he is stuck in his own little bubble. That legend in his own mind syndrome.

This was something dad had explained to me one time about different types of people. I didnt really understand it until much later. Now I see it first hand and got a good grip on it this time around. It also makes more sense thinking back about that same talk from grandpa several years ago. I bottled it all up to save for when I could understand better. Now it is seeping out of storage and I am getting a full dose today.

Frank doesnt go around being a boastful braggart about himself all the time. Just mentions certain things that keeps you reminded of how he thinks about himself. Especially his driving ability. I thought today he might realize some of the deficiencies in that ability. I might have bitten off more than I can chew this time with him. Wow how cliche sounding. Where did I read that one from?

So kid, I felt really smooth on that old Cratchet kart copy of your buds out there. Different than my Dart, but not in a bad way. I bet with some help from me, we can get this kart really hauling the ace. Just a couple of things I see that might present a problem. Nothing major mind you, just a few tweaks here and there. So what did you do while we were running those laps?

Franks sometimes you are so full of.......I mean sometimes its cool to see you so focused on certain stuff. Then try to make a difference. But....I was able to fix a few things that might have caused problems with your kart handling. Maybe since you are so layed back and relaxed now, take it out for a few laps and see if she works for you.

No kid, I can tell you with absolute certainty that chassis is sprung or jacked hard. I am not positively sure what just yet, but will figure out eventually. Those laps gave me time to focus on the chassis in detail. I went over everything in my mind that was fixed. There is not much other it can be except a defective frame.

I am seriously thinking about giving Mick a call next week and discuss options after him selling me damaged goods. He is a fair person. Doesnt want bad talk going around about his karts. I am sure he will make things right. It just makes good business sense.

Frank sometimes I really want to speak out, but it is better to just keep quiet. Frank looked at me with a completely blank look on his face. Just out with it kid. That is the easiest way to confront the problem, if there is one. I dont know what you are concerned with, but nothing like getting it out in the open.

I was about to just let it all out on the table. Dang it another cliche phrase. Gotta cut down on those. Using too many of them I could end up plagiarizing thousands of people going back for centuries. OK, just get it out in the open. Frank!

Uh, Frank. I was uh, just uh, you know thinking. Would you mind so much if I took your kart for a quick test spin? Just to get an idea of what trouble you were having to deal with earlier? OK that is not what I had expected to come out of my mouth, but fits in with what was busy grinding gears in the back of my head earlier.

Kid I dont think that is a smart idea. You show good promise, especially with those slow bushing engines. Really good so far. But stepping up to such a faster engine like my Westbend, may be more than you can handle. Besides I know the chassis is messed up bad. If you got hurt, well sure dont want to tangle with your mom. She sounded serious last time. No need crossing that bridge if I dont have to.

Frank I am serious. I checked over your kart while you were out there driving Steves kart. I was surprised he didnt completely object to you driving his kart either. We have a ton of time and he has invested a small fortune in building it. For him to allow somebody to drive his kart says a lot. If you are getting my meaning?

But if you think your kart is too much for me, well I dont see it that way at all. I wont push it too hard. Just would like to learn about what problem you have with it. Me and Steve have done a bunch in a short time to get our karts up to speed. Well so far as handling. I think we are close to being there. If I promise to be really careful, just a few laps to get an idea of the problems. That is all.

Frank if you think I am in over my head out there, just wave me off and I will come in immediately. You can stand out there in the infield and watch up close. I can see you from just about any point on the track. So if I botch a turn, then in the pits I come. I took a big chance on you taking Steves kart out, so put some trust in me right now.

Kid its not about what you are capable of or not. The kart is not right. I could not keep it pointed straight when I tried earlier. That kart is so unsafe, even with me driving it. I cant justify you taking it out in this condition. It just doesnt make good sense.

Frank, let me take it out on the front straight. If I have any problems, then its over. I dont even make it to the first turn. This way is more than being safe with me. Just let me try before you tear it all apart again. I need to know for myself what the problem feels like.

Kid you sure try to drive it in hard. The first moment you show any out of control situation I am waving you off. Like immediately. Dont try anything to fool me either.I got eagle eyes and will be watching every movement you make trying to get this hearse around the track.

Dont think you are going to get what you want without me allowing it. If you make the short straight and if I feel comfortable, then will wave you on for a single lap. But dont expect the kart to respond to anything. I know what I am talking about. Too many years driving experience. The kart is jacked up and is not safe to drive at any speed.

Now after I get it figured out and fixed, then maybe let you drive it at reduced speed. But today I dont feel good about risking your life out there. So the first sign of trouble and you are done. Period. Understand?

Hey that sounds fair enough Frank. Lets do it.

While we got Franks kart ready for the track, I thought about another edge to throw at him. Frank, how about you follow me in my kart. It is a lot faster than Steves. You would like it more than his anyway. That way you can watch what your kart is doing from behind and get a first hand idea of the problem. I dont think you can get any better of a close up evaluation with your kart than seeing it in action.

OK that might not be a bad idea. But I want your buddy to be out there in case I decide to wave you off. Especially if the kart looks as evil at it was handling earlier.

Great idea Frank! Hey Steve, I need some help! You got a minute?

I quietly went over my plans with Steve. He didnt seem that interested, considering how big of a jerk Frank was acting earlier. Not much reason for him just to stand out there and watch. Just trust me Steve, Frank is about to break. Lets do this.

Me and Frank finally get suited up and about to pull out on the track. I am in his kart and can barely reach the pedals. But I will manage, especially for all the time it took me to get this far. Lets go Frank. I ease out on the track still expecting his kart to not handle very well. I am still not for sure what I fixed on Franks kart will do all that much. A lot is riding on this right now.

Out on the track I give the kart a quick right left. I told Frank not to freak out if he sees me do that. I just wanted to get an idea of how the kart is going to respond. He understood and threatened me that it better be the only time the kart does any jerking around or I am completely done for the day.

Not exactly sure what I was expecting, but the kart felt smooth, and fast. Or at least responded really well to throttle. I wanted to romp down on the gas and give it everything it has, but didnt chance making for a short stint on his kart. Down the front straight the kart responded more or less to what I expected a decent handling one should do.

The front end was not as positive as mine or Steves Cates, but very predictable. This small steering wheel really sucks. It has to go. The new style wheel on the A-Bone is larger, padded, full round, and nice looking. How could Frank go wrong with one of them?

I guess Frank is some where behind me white knuckling my steering wheel. Scared to death I am going to crash his defunct ill-handling proto kart or get hurt. Watching him try to get this kart around earlier would have caused the same reaction if I was following him right now. So far this Dart kart is driving more like it should be or more like it did before Frank fixed everything and made it perfect.

I see Steve standing there in the infield watching with little interest. He does motion for me to speed up more. Then gives me a sign that Frank is only inches behind. His Westbend engine is a lot louder than the Clintons. It is hard to tell how close someone is behind me right now. I ease down on the gas and start to actually drive the kart. Not just easily coast around thru the turns.

Finally I make a whole complete lap, not including the partial lap getting on the track. Franks kart feels good and easily manageable. Steve again is motioning me to pick up the speed. So I go down on the gas and start pushing it a lot harder. Another lap down and I am starting to enjoy the extra power and predictable nature of this kart. So far Frank has not made any attempt to stop me from driving. I had expected him to stop me cold after only one lap.

Another lap and Steve is motioning for Frank to speed up. I take this time to back off slightly and let him catch up behind me. Steve motions that Frank is closing in fast. I pull out of the longer straight and go slightly wide so Frank will take the bait. He is no longer concerned for my safety, but now wants to race me. I hoped he would go for that. He buzzes right on by and I pull tightly in behind him.

I expected Frank to park and drag race at the end of the straight, but he waited much longer than where he would normally hit the brake. But this time he is more like trailing the brake pedal instead of stomping it hard. He is still really jerky, but able to maintain his speed a lot better than the last time out here. I shadow my kart thru the tight turns and wait for him to make a mistake.

His kart is really easy to drive. Not too bad to correct when over steering or getting impatient. I feel my line is smooth and controlled. Frank is pulling on the long straight again with decent speed. I am covering him like a blanket tho. His engine has a lot more wheaties than mine will ever have, but he is still doing a good job in control and leading this lap.

I am actually enjoying following him around right now. But he is very predictable when he is isnt being stupid. Right now I can tell he is unsure since not going up high on the track yet. His special driving style had kept him usually in the middle. If he bombs, I am going to pass him on the outside like Steves signature move.

Sure enough Frank gets jerky, and I commit to the outside. In one clean swoop, I buzz around Frank in his indecision on where to brake. It was an easy move, since I have been watching him drive so much. Instead of hanging back and toying with Frank, I decided to find out what his kart can do. It was a hard decision, but I think I made a good choice.

I was screaming like a girl at an Elvis concert. The speed of his engine compared to what I am used to was over the top and thrilling beyond words. I could really enjoy racing at this speed. It is likely closer to any real professional racing I will ever get the chance to experience. For now it is more than good.

A few laps later I see Frank pulled off the track. Oh well guess my day of fun on his kart is just about over with. Steve is also running back to the pits as Frank is motioning him in. Wonder what he is up to now? Another pass by the pits and Steve is giving me the go faster sign, then holds out the stop watch.

COOL, I get to make a full no holes barred lap. Pedal to the metal, as the pros say. I am going for the g0ld. At the start finish line, I duck down slightly and focus on nothing but making a fast lap time. Not trying to push myself, more than relaxing and let the kart do what it does best.

Everything goes silent but the wind past my ears and roar of Franks Westbend. The tires are making a light squalling sound thru the tighter turns. Then pulling on to the back straight and go faster than I have ever gone in my life. Wow this feels so awesome. But all good things must come to an end. I see Steve giving me the thumbs up and motion to come in.

Back in the pits, Frank is shaking his head. I get up out of his kart and hang a big grin on my face. Thanks Frank, your kart is awesome. Any chance you might let Steve take a spin around? I am sure he would really enjoy it too. Frank just stands there in a very non descript stance. He reaches over to me and grabs my neck with both his hands. Then picks me up and lands me against a steel beam holding up the shed roof over the impound area.

Frank looks like he is possessed for some reason. He isnt talking or much even breathing. Just staring deep into my eyes enough to cause me to almost piss in my pants. I was starting to get really scared. I dont know what he was thinking just then. But the wild smirk and deep set of his eyes was more than spooky enough. Picked up by my neck and legs just dangling inches off the ground even got Steve really freaked out.

You think I am a dumb arse yankee? Hee hee! You little smart ass. Your buddy over there told me your game plan. He spilled his guts to me after I threatened to peel off his toenails with pliers. I wasnt born yesterday you know. But right now I cant decide to strangle you or thank you for helping me today. Frank was choking me, not so I couldnt breathe but just cutting the circulation off to my brain. I was feeling light headed in a funny way.

So instead Frank acts like a big old lap dog. He sticks out his tongue, gives a nasty lick across my forehead and then drops me back down on the ground. Can he get any more disgusting? Now the blood is coming back to my head. Things were getting dark there for a moment. I thought Frank just swatted me with his tongue. Gross! How nasty just thinking about that.

Sorry kid, didnt realize I cut off your circulation so much. Sort of got carried away for a moment. So how did she handle? You looked really fast and smooth out there. I guess you think you are pretty smart trying to pull that one over on me. Well you did. And did a good job covering you backside too. The whole time I was out there earlier with your bud, all I could think about was what the heck happened to my kart.

She handled so well last time out. I didnt do anything but fix some compromised things that just were not right. Something went wrong obviously. How about telling me what you did to my kart while I was driving the other one out there? I am real serious and want to know exactly what you did.

I went from very scared to mad to almost laughing after realizing I had a bad vision of something that didnt happen. Thankfully it didnt. Steve would have come up from behind and put Frank one step close to meeting his maker. I know Frank is strange and has a very odd sense of humor, but sometimes I feel like death could be just around the next corner when around him. It is like having a head rush and heat rash at the same time. Sort of like the thrill of danger but not being dangerous.

I was not so mad than peeved at the moment. But very perturbed at Franks little Dr Jekel Mr Hide moment just then. So I yelled right in Franks face. So you want to know what I did to your kart to fix it? I will tell exactly what I did. Still shouting I said "But the first thing I want to say is my buddy has a name. It is not bud or your buddy. His name is Steve! He has a real name like everyone else. So use it and cut your crap.

And one more thing. My name is not kid or kiddo. It is Terry! Use it like everybody else does or take a hike. All of this was right in Franks face and way too close. I looked over at Steve to see the most bewildered expression on his face just then. At that point it was too hard for me to keep a straight face and busted out laughing just hard as I could. Steve immediately fell in line behind me. Frank was now the one with the look of complete surprise.

In a more calm tone I told Frank that the blank look on his face was very natural for him. He should practice using it more often. With this remark Steve went off the deep end laughing at Frank. But Frank was not laughing back this time. We were now laughing at him, instead of with him.

Frank looked at both of us and I saw his blood vessels start pulsing on his neck and forehead. Then he busted out at both of us. OK, STEVE....uh....TERRY, just FORK both of you. Frank walked off across the pits and back outside the fence to that big old tree again. This is one time I cant tell if Frank was mad, serious, embarrassed or all of the above. His type of humor borderlines on total insanity. But this time might be more than borderline. It did shut me and Steve up just quite as a Timex watch at that moment.

Frank was sitting out there under the shade tree. His Volkswagen had been parked there all day with the windows down. He was just sitting on the ground taking it easy and looking up at the sky. Was he really mad at us for ganging up on him? I wasnt yet ready to find out which one tho.

Me and Steve sat down by our karts in the hot sun quietly mumbling about nothing in particular to each other. We were shocked, surprised, and slightly uncomfortable about some of the events today. You know Steve, Frank said FORK YOU. When he is really mad the cuss words usually start flying. But not this time.

Eventually we agreed to go over and apologize to Frank, if we felt to be in the wrong. But not giving up anything until we were sure. Together me and Steve headed over to the shade tree where Frank seemed to be enjoying himself a little too much. When we got there Frank was sitting next to an ice chest. Woof, woof, woof. You guys want a beer? There were three empties sitting on the ground next to him. If you down a couple really fast, might get a cool buzz. It dont last long but sure does feel good.

So today was pretty fun. You guys are a riot together. You do know I can take both of you on separately and tear you apart. But together you are a tough pair of nuts to crack. Reminds me of my brother. We would sit around and mock yelling and fighting each other just to see how everyone else around would respond. Sometimes they thought we were going to kill each other. Those were fun times. But eventually we had to grow up and become useful minions in the big grind.

So what all did you do to get my kart working so well? Your buddy, uh sorry, Steve told me your lap time was over three seconds faster than either of you had run here before. Then told me that is more than four seconds faster than I had run last time. I am too happy right now to be mad about you fixing my screw ups. But I should be mad at me, not at you two punks.

How about we all take a few laps together in a little while. I need to let this beer pass thru me first. Sure you guys dont want one? It is awfully hot today. Dont see how you can stand this weather all the time. It would make me miserable growing up in this kind of heat non stop all summer. Glad I have an indoor job with air conditioning most of the day.

As usual Frank has again left me not quite figuring him out. I dont know when to be really scared or other times just laugh it off. Neither one fits the equation with him. At first I thought maybe just feel him out and make sure he was harmless.

Now I really think he could snap at any moment then me and Steve become just a statistic on some police report. Other times, I almost think he is acting normal. Well, normal for a yankee. What can I say, this is the south. That is the way things have always been. And for good reason. Right now Frank being that reason.

After a few minutes of Frank blabbering on, I thought getting some more track time sounded more desirable than listening to him. After Frank has a few beers, you can only take so much. We could wait a while if he doesnt drink any more. Until then, get back to working on the karts so nothing breaks today.

Lets do it Frank. Me and Steve are going to beat on the karts some more. Join us when you are ready. You might want to check over your kart while there is some free time. I do want to talk about some things you might want to fix anyway.

Wow, Frank sure is a strange duck. I acknowledged Steve with a nod. Yea, but he is very entertaining sometimes too. Today I think he surprised both of us. We were completely caught off guard for that off witted humor of his. Well off witted something. He would starve as a comedian, but might thrive as a psychopathic narrator for a horror flick.

Me and Steve went over our karts checking everything that turned moved slid or rotated. Every bolt and nut was checked out carefully. This is something we thought would be a good idea when time allowed just like if we were actually at the track on a race day. Get into this habit and just about eliminate trouble when it really mattered.

Sometime about 30 minutes later Frank casually joined us with his presence. His kart was still sitting under the awning over at the impound area. I had lost track of time and didnt think about spending a few minutes checking over his kart. After the run I had made earlier, sure didnt want something to screw up while Frank took it for a few more laps.

I didnt want anything happening to his kart. Because I wanted Steve to get the chance of driving it today. That would get Steve back on board with Frank driving his kart earlier too. I think he was still a little put off with me about that. He didnt say anything, but just something you can tell from hanging around each other so much of the time.

So junior rookie kart specialist tuner, what is it you think I should take care of on my kart there? Oh hey Frank, glad you decided to join the living again. Come over here, I want you to look at this. See your steering shaft? When you tried to drive it around earlier it got bent up really bad. Somehow you managed to actually twist the shaft and bend it over to one side.

Me and Steves kart have a 5/8 inch steering shaft. You still have the smaller one like older karts had. More and more are coming with the bigger type. I am surprised your kart even has the small shaft. Since it is a prototype, I would have thought maybe build it like the next models would be done.

That steering wheel is too small for me to get a good feel for when I drove it earlier. I am so used to that big butterfly wheel on the Cates. This one is just hard to handle. Azusa and Rupp both have really cool new style wheels that would be easy enough to change out on your kart.

I noticed this smaller steering shaft has bronze bushings to ride in. By removing them a bigger shaft should fit right in its place without having to butcher any part of the frame. You might be able to slightly bore the welded sleeve over size and make a small insert from bushing material. Then it would be just like it is now but a lot stronger.

One more thing I didnt like is those small cast aluminum pedals. Instead of my foot pushing forward, just feels like I am stepping down on top of it. I think these have been on all of the earlier models Rupp made. At least in the advertisements I have seen in some older issues of kart magazines. The new model A-Bone has taller pedals made from 3/8 inch round stock. I saw several different karts with this type last spring at a race one weekend.

I guess the next thing you are going to tell me is the color of paint is wrong too. I let you drive my kart one time and you become a professional critic. He looked over at me with a serious face then just grinned.

OK you make good sense. I will look into what is available and maybe take your advice. So far it has been solid enough. But dont let it go to your head. I see guys in my field of expertise doing it all the time. Doesnt turn out so well sometimes.

Is there anything else not to your liking? Well Frank, you had the throttle linkage sort of jacked up. How so kid? I adjusted it so the throttle shaft on carburetor doesnt get snapped off. That is the right way of preventing it from happening. Yea Frank you are right. But went about it the wrong way.

You see the throttle linkage here where the 1/4 inch rod goes thru this return spring? It travels too far like you said. You adjusted the slack in your cable to carburetor. I stacked extra washers here so the spring completely bottoms out instead. Then leave just a slight amount of slack in the cable. Now your pedal doesnt travel so far and get caught under the tie-rod like happened earlier. I also swapped the short tie-rod back over to the right side spindle, like it was last time we ran.

OK, you went the extra mile there fixing the throttle linkage. I wasnt thinking that far ahead and did it simply by adding the slack. You did your homework there and seems to be the better solution. I cant argue with you on this at all. So for now lets quit discussing the kart and get some laps down. You have put almost as many laps on my kart as I have since buying it. I need to change that like quickly. How bout we get out there and burn some asphalt.

Before firing up the karts all three of them got a good soaking on the chains and gas was topped off. Frank was determined to sell us on his special mix of chain oil. I fired up both Frank and Steve and they jumped out on the track, like the green flag just dropped. I yanked mine over a few times until it fired up. Since changing to the bigger carburetor, it takes more effort to get started. Hope it doesnt cause any problems later on. Oh well time for some fast laps in my own kart this time.

I was surprised to see Frank tucking in behind Steve. He wasnt trying to pass or push him. Just staying a short distance behind, but close enough to nearly be his shadow. I wonder if Frank realizes his driving had improved a lot when following someone else. It makes sense or he would be trying to dominate us out here. Or maybe he is just buzzed from the beer earlier.

It didnt take long to catch up to them. Steve was giving it a good run, but both me and Frank have a lot more power to work with now. Guess the next thing to do on Steves kart is change out the carburetor and maybe open up the intake manifold even more than already has been done, if possible.

As much fun it would be to hammer on Franks back bumper, I still wanted to stay running with Steve. So long as Frank followed Steve I would just put the pressure on both of them. Become a moving chicane that they have to work around to run a good fast lap. I dont guess we are going to get any more lap times taken today either. It would be cool to have the information, but today is about done. We accomplished a lot even without making any real changes to our karts.

I learned a bunch just working on Franks kart tho. After driving my kart again, I see now that some small adjustments could be made to Franks kart and help it handle even better. But that is with me driving at a much light weight. With Frank behind the wheel, everything changes. Not from just the weight difference, but also driving styles.

So the rest of this afternoon was really uneventful. We took turns swapping places back and forth. I was able to hang with Frank a lot easier this time out. With his slight driving improvement, the added power my motor has now is what was needed. But after Frank lead a lot of laps he started back into the drag race and brake style again. This is when I took the opportunity to pull ahead and get him to follow me for a while.

When Steve took the lead again, me and Frank ended up battling each other for position behind Steve. It worked out really cool. Whoever passed Steve would loose. We had to beat up on each other without passing Steve. It took some time to work out a strategy that could beat Frank, but not pass Steve. Really turned out to be more challenging that I originally thought at first.

On one turn I could go really high and then my kart would scrub off a lot of speed. Frank chose to stay low and keep hooked up better. But I could get past him and tuck in right behind Steve, then block Frank from pulling back in line. This turned out great practicing like there was traffic to work thru. I dont know how things could have ended up better after all the troubles and strange happenings that took place earlier today.

We made a pit stop and this time I was done. Steve took out Franks kart and Frank drove mine. I could not believe that Frank actually offered Steve the chance to drive his kart. Definitely not in Franks character. He totally caught me off guard again. For the remainder of the day Frank and Steve put on a good showing. When Frank took the lead, he started back in to his old ways and slowed down.

Steve took every opportunity to use Frank and practice passing him and lead for a few laps. Then let Frank back around to beat on his back bumper. It might be possible that Frank could change his driving style for the better. Just going to take a long time practicing or at least him following someone else that is driving a good line for him to follow.

It turned out to be a lot later this time at the track before we called it a day. Mom was running way behind schedule picking us up too. The sun was nearly setting in the west. It was so much later than we expected to stay. Fortunately mom had already called Steves mom and let her know he was staying around late or even spending the night. It was now his choice either way.

We tried to load up in a hurry, but mom told us to slow down. It was already too late for her to get back and cook tonight. So she already decided to stop on the way home and grab a big bucket of fried chicken for supper. Steve was more than agreeable to spend the night.

There would be plenty of extra chicken for seconds and thirds. Not to mention a raid on the fridge later on. We have not hung out for a long while, so neither of us would get tired of the other for just one night. Life is good and we might start racing soon. That would be great.

Messages In This Thread
The Bench Racers Journal - by Terry Bentley - 11-22-2019, 08:49 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-23-2019, 11:20 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-23-2019, 02:23 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-25-2019, 10:18 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-26-2019, 10:25 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Bob Alexander - 11-26-2019, 04:44 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-26-2019, 05:06 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-27-2019, 01:52 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-27-2019, 11:26 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-27-2019, 03:21 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-29-2019, 09:24 AM