Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Bench Racers Journal
Chapter 75

So how did we finally get to the track again? Not much different than our last trip out here. I begged mom to drive us. She made it clear that someone had to be there the whole time we were at the track. Because she didnt have the spare time sitting around here while we were playing and her not attending to what needed to get done today.

The thought of missing supper tonight was more than enough reason to make sure we had a babysitter, for lack of a better term at the moment, out here watching us. Frank had assured me without a doubt he would be here way before what I had told him the time we were planning to arrive.

When we pulled into the parking lot, no one else was here. Mom gave me a harsh look, but didnt say anything. I sure hope Frank actually shows up like he said. Maybe someone we have met out here before might drop by for a few hours. It is possible you know. But maybe not so probable.

I sort of took my time unloading since we were still out here alone. After we had just about made it inside the pits with all of our junk, I look up to see Franks Volkswagen is finally driving in to the parking lot near the other pit entrance. He was supposed to have already been here. Well we are good for now and can spend the afternoon practicing making laps.

Mom wont have any reason to get mad at us since no one else was here yet. She can go ahead and get all of the shopping done. Hopefully we actually make some improvements on our setup because it isnt worth the time spent out here doing nothing but going backwards. At least we get a lot of drive time on the track today.

Summer is getting almost a thing of the past and we are no closer to making our first race yet. Steve and I have invested most of our free time this summer trying to get two karts built and race ready. Then hopefully start running occasionally on race nights. Well getting out here for our second practice is one step closer to us racing becoming a reality.

While Steve is carefully going over our two karts, I decide to help Frank unload his stuff. He had suggested I assist when needed if he was going to babysit us out here today. I sure dont have a problem with that. Since without him showing up, me and Steve would not be here either.

The karts have been checked over since it was confirmed we were coming out to the track again. It would have surprised me for Steve to find anything that was overlooked. But is possible since I did all that last minute swapping of parts around this morning. I had almost forgotten about the repairs made to the front end of my kart several weeks ago.

After we sit Franks kart down on the ground, he starts pushing it into the pit area. Immediately I hear the chain sounding sort of ratchety and in a bind while the kart is rolling away. Hey Frank, what wrong with the chain? It sounds jacked up. Oh, probably just needs oiled a little. I did wash the grit off of it when cleaning the kart. So it is likely just dry.

A little bit of digging thru Franks box of goods and I found a squirt can. Is this your chain oil Frank? Yea thats the good stuff. It has powdered lead mixed with the oil. Some of my own special blend. That mix should work really well.

I point the stem on his oil can down to the chain and try pushing the kart so the sprocket will rotate around. The kart is really binding up in spots when rolling forward. Frank, I think more than a dry chain is causing this much binding. How about we set the kart up on a barrel and check everything over first?

Oh, no need. I am sure it is just the chain. If you oiled it good enough, then everything will be fine and loosen up. I am ready to take it out anyway. How about giving me a start and I will give it a good shakedown for a few easy laps, then come back in and check everything over. Prepare for the surprise of your life when I set a new track record today.

OK, Frank, its your kart, but I think there is more than just a dry chain. Hope you dont tear anything up. So I push the kart over to the grid area and Frank hops in ready to take it out. The motor took several tries before firing up, but finally came to life. Frank just nails the gas down and the motor sounded more raspy than I remembered the last time out here.

The kart takes off out of the pits and sounds like Frank is also pushing down the brake pedal with the gas. I sure hope he is right about that chain. But something sure didnt sound right. The kart was heading down the short front straight and with a crunching sound the chain went flying off. Frank never let off the gas and motor is buzzing some serious rpms. While still holding down the gas pedal, Frank just turns around and looks back at his engine.

That is when I go running out on the track and yelling at Frank to kill the engine. By now he had let off the gas pedal and the engine is still singing away like it is idled up too high. I launch forward and slap my hand over the carburetor to kill the engine. The motor dies then Frank just goes off. He is all in my face with his arms waving them frantically. Hey what did YOU SCREW UP on my kart? I thought you oiled that chain like I TOLD YOU TOO!

Frank, I already said something wasnt right. So dont try to pin the blame on me! Then he gets up from the kart and just goes on about all the time spent setting the kart up perfectly and that I didnt oil the chain properly.

Now Frank was getting louder and sounding more pissed. I was ready to tell him where he could stick his thrown chain, but shut up and walked back to the pits. I let Frank push his kart back by himself. I sure was not about to take that crap from him, after what he just said.

What the heck happened to Franks kart? Steve was asking when I walked over to our karts. He says I didnt oil his chain correctly, and blames me for it being thrown. Right now I dont care. Lets get our karts ready to take some laps. What else do we need to do? OK I think everything is ready to hit it. I did oil both of our chains correctly. Want me to show you how to do it the right way?

Steve knew I was pissed at the moment, and smiled big when he said that. I wanted to blow up at him to release some steam, but then laughed it off instead. That does feel a lot better than getting more irritated. Screw Frank, he can go solo today and see how he likes it.

Both of our karts are sitting end to end. Me and Steve talked about starting them up and fear of a runaway one of these days. So Steves kart is in front. First I start his kart while he is seated. Then walk behind my kart and fire it up while Steve holds the brake on his. No sooner I drop down in my seat, Steve starts to pull out on the track. Without giving any thought, I just nailed it and threw gravel up while exiting the pits on to the track and pull on around in front of him.

I was having a real attitude moment and needed some way to release the frustration. At the end of the short straight my kart just did a couple of 360's and spun off without any warning into the recently cut grass. Grrrr!, I need to calm down and get focused. Should have payed more attention, then would have seen the loose clippings all over the track. I ease back up to the edge of the pavement and now facing Steve. He is coming to a stop with one hand held out, like asking me what the deal is?

This time I pulled back on the track following him. But tried to use my head and not let Frank get to me so much. This is supposed to be fun. Alright now, pay attention and just follow Steve for a few laps and get your head back on straight. That should work. For the next couple of laps, I dont do anything but stay a few kart lengths behind Steve. Really not even getting on the gas or speeding up at all.

Huh, I wonder what the deal is with Steve? Last time out here he was running at a good pace. Now it is like his first time ever making laps. Is his kart running alright? Steve finally motions me to pass him and also points forward like he wants to follow me at full speed. OK that sounds like a plan. I can definitely go faster. Soon as I pass and give him a thumbs up, the gas pedal is all the way down and my kart is running extremely well.

Approaching the end of the long straight, my first thoughts were about blowing up the engine with this larger carburetor. I reached over to find the high speed needle. By tunring it out the engine went into a slight four cycling, Good that is perfect. The carburetor is fairly close to being adjusted.

I turned the needle back in a hair until the engine just cleared out. Wow, the engine picks back up and now is really running some good speed. I tap the brake for a second while off the gas, setting up for the banked turn and head into the right, left combination. Wow, my kart seems like it really wants to run today.

Its time to relax and focus only on getting the kart around the track now. After another lap, I feel like nothing can stop me. Everything feels better than I thought from our last trip out. One thing on my mind now was remembering about the front end repairs. Last time out here the kart was in serious need of something since it didnt handle the same in both directions. I had tweaked the frame to help the front tires sit down evenly.

Now the kart seems to handle well. It is also finally steering the same in both right and left turns. The repairs have payed off and working out great. No pushing or rear end trying to come around this time. I am feeling real comfortable and running down the straights, the engine seems to keep on reving higher. Wow so cool.

After driving several more laps, I am just chilling out and trying to keep my mind off Franks deal. Then I notice Steve is standing at the fence trying to wave me in. I had already passed the exit to the pits so went ahead and ran another lap. There was no one else out here, so I could have just turned around and pulled off.

But the kart feels too good not to use as an excuse making one more pass before pulling in. Now hold out my hand slowing down to exit off track into the pits. Steves kart is way over at our pit spot and he is walking over to me. I sure hope nothing is broke or wrong with his kart.

Whats wrong Steve? Is your kart running alright? Immediately he wants to know what I did to my kart. Hey man, what the heck did you do to your engine? I thought my kart was running pretty good, then you went by me and I could not even keep up. You just left me like I was going bass ackwards.

Huh?, I know my kart feels like it is running good today, but didnt realize it was that much faster. I am glad to find out it is handling a lot better than last time we were here. It steers the same in both directions now, unlike it did before. I then realize just how bad it was messed up with good as it handles today.

I aint talking about the way it is handling man. You ran away with it down the straight. What have you been doing to your engine? Dont lie to me, you have been working it over and left mine alone. Terry, what did you do? It is flying out there!

Thats when it hit me. A bright light bulb just came on. My brain had been so worked up from Franks little fiasco, I wasnt thinking about the Palmini intake manifold and the modified HL-66 carburetor that Frank had assumed was the new HL-115. Wow!, the carburetor actually worked like I had been hoping for. Geez, I wasnt thinking at all when getting out on the track this afternoon.

Oh Steve, I didnt tell you about that carburetor I had been working on. Frank had me so worked up, I was just focusing on making laps like last time here. Dude! The modified carburetor works awesome! Well that and with the Palmini intake. The one that was originally on the Cates engine. But I dont really know which one helped out the most.

Oh, I had not said anything about it before now. But finished boring out one of those chainsaw carburetors on the lathe. It looks so cool. I didnt want to make a big deal about it until knowing if the thing would actually work.

Frank said there was no way a carburetor this big would run on these Clintons. But I didnt believe him. There was an ad in one of last years kart mags selling a dual carburetor manifold for the Clinton. But it was using two of the stock float bowl types.

t got to thinking if the Clinton could run on two of them, then this one, which is slightly larger than a stock chainsaw carburetor, should work too. After taking those few laps, I am really hyped right now.

Hey Steve, you wanna take my kart out and try for yourself? I didnt realize your kart was running all that fast when following you at first. I thought you were just taking some easy laps for warm up.

Heck no, I was running just hard as I could. I knew you were right behind me the whole time. Then motioned for you to go around. That sure was a mistake. You ran off from me and hid. Like there was no way I could keep up for anything. I knew you had to have done something to your engine. Are you saying it is just a bigger carburetor that made it run so fast?

Look me in my eyes and tell me you didnt port it out or something like that? Your kart is super flying out there. At least compared to how mine is running today. I know its been several weeks since we have driven out here, but I felt like my kart was running about the same pace as last time. You are running like a scalded ace ape.

At first I though maybe you were really mad and pushing super hard out there, but in a straight line, you were killing me. After a few more laps, you would have lapped me. I sure wasnt going to let that happen. I knew you had to have done something to your engine. Nothing else made sense.

All this short time me and Steve had been running, I had completely gotten over Franks little temper tantrum. That is until I saw him walking over to us. Sorry Frank, I am not in the mood to listen to you blaming me for your troubles again.

Woof, woof, woof. I sure dont blame you for being mad at me. But would you accept an apology instead? I lost it earlier and you just happened to be there to take my crap. I found out the problem and realized it had nothing to do with you at all. I should have also checked over the kart a little better too.

The last few weeks I had gone over every nut and bolt on this chassis. This thing dialed in perfect. A perfect kart today is what I started with this morning. But the mailman dropped off a package I had been waiting for.

I finally ordered a set of gears and that new Azusa Mark II Vari-hub. Those new style split aluminum gears now come in every two tooth sizes. I thought they could really help me dial in my kart today. So before loading up this morning I went ahead and changed it all over.

I am not for certain, but think it was a defective gear or one that was mismatched. That is what caused the binding up earlier. So there went one chain wasted for the day. Add the price of a new gear with it too. The gear is now in the trash barrel, and I am about ready to bolt another one on.

If you are not too mad at me for yelling earlier, I hope you accept my apology. I do get hard headed sometimes. It sort of comes with the job and all of those K-nuckleheads I have to work with all the time.

I gotta keep everyone on their toes or all kinds of problems arise from them always overlooking things. That can get expensive in my line of work and for the company. I dont like it when the boss comes down on me when it wasnt my fault.

Wow Frank, you dont like getting blamed for something you didnt do. Who would have thought? It wasnt the yelling as much as you accused me of something without even thinking about what you said. That is what got me mad.

If you can try not to blow up like that again, I might consider, but only conditionally. This is supposed to be fun out here. If something screws up, then we can fix it. Working on this stuff for me is almost fun as getting to try it out on the track.

Well kid, I am glad to hear you have such a forgiving heart and in better spirits about everything. Would you be willing to give me a hand on my kart? That is if you dont mind.

Hey Terry, why dont you go ahead and help, uh, yea, Frank there. I caved in, despite not wanting to work on his kart just then. As I was walking away towards Franks pit area, Steve yelled back at me.

Hey man, where do you keep the sledge hammer? I am going to make a few adjustments to your engine. Maybe slow it down just a little bit. You know just to make it more fair for me. I looked back at him while trying to process what he was saying. There was a huge grin on Steves face just then.

Franks kart was sitting there, just like it was on the track earlier, minus one axle sprocket. So where is the dead sprocket Frank? I told you it is in the trash can. That one right behind the kart. My hands could not leave things alone. So I grabbed it up and gave the two sprocket halves a close scrutiny. This is a Hands sprocket. It is split straight across two of the bolt holes in perfect center.

After looking at it for a moment, I noticed that even tho the sprocket bolt pattern is split perfectly, the teeth are not. One side a tooth is split nearly in the middle, the other side is split off just a little bit more. If you put the two halves together the wrong way, the teeth dont get lined up so close. Almost, but not near enough for a chain to roll freely.

Hey Frank, I think I just found your problem.

No, that is not the problem. You dont think I know how to line up a sprocket kid? I am an engineer. Things like that dont ever happen with me. Too many years getting educated and working out in the real world. Now quit wasting your time and give me a hand here.

So I help Frank lift his kart up on a short barrel. Frank, where is your new sprocket? I want to put it on the kart for you this time. Sure kid, better for your hands to get all dirty and oily. I dont need my hands slipping and sliding on the steering wheel out there on the track.

Yea, whatever Frank. Wheres your 7/16" wrench? I put the sprocket on and made sure the alignment ring matches on both halves. Before tightening the nuts down secure, I wanted to get the chain on first to hold the sprocket together so there was no tight spots when rotating the axle around.

OK Frank, I need a new chain. Sorry dont have one kid. Completely forgot about adding one to my list of goods that were ordered. But I did manage to piece together this one here. It should work fine for today. I took the used parts chain from him and held it up. The links were all staggered in one direction. Well each section of chain Frank managed to hammer together went one way or the other. Also way too many kinks. Nope, Frank, this chain is not gonna work.

Well it is going to work, since that is the last piece I got. So Frank, how bad is the one that got chunked off? Dunno, it is out on the track somewhere. I just exhaled and sat there. Why does it feel like I keep reliving this conversation and these character building moments? Then got up and headed out to the track in search for a lost chain.

Didnt take but a second to find it. The chain was still sitting right there a few feet behind the spot Franks kart had over rev'ed to a sudden stop. I picked the chain up from the track and examined it for a moment. There was only one link broken. The rest of his chain looked like it would be salvageable. He didnt use a master link, which was good. But the pin did not appear to have been pushed all the way thru and spaced properly. So the weakest link failed and left the rest of his newish chain in good enough condition to use again.

Frank was harping about re-using a thrown chain. I told him to shut up this time and go away. His other chain would not last long enough to even bother putting it on the kart. I was surprised he did shut up and walked over to where Steve was checking over the other karts.

Woof! Woof! Woof! Steve was not aware Frank had walked up so close behind him. He turned around so fast causing Frank to flinch and nearly fall over. I heard Steve yell something with gritted teeth. Frank held up his hands in front of him and backed off a few feet. Wow that was actually funny to watch. Cant wait to hear what Steve has to say about it.

After beating on Franks chain with a hammer and punch, I was comfortable it would hold up. Getting it back together was a real pain since I had to do it with the chain installed around the axle. What I found odd is with this one chain now shortened is still almost too long to even be adjustable. The engine was pushed up all the way forward to the end of the slots.

I wonder if Frank bothered to shorten the chain down so he would have some adjustment when the chain stretched a little bit? This would not surprise me at all. He would probably harp on about having the longest chain possible is the only way to set it up right. Longer chain gives longer life on the track. I wonder how that works out if the sprocket is put together the wrong way? Gotta remember to ask Frank about that one.

Franks motor is left hand drive and the chain runs between the frame rails. Both mine and Steves are set up the same, with chain running outside of the frame so it can be worked on now without wrapping around the axle first. To me this is a good way to set it up.

After the first dozen times tearing apart the rear axle assembly on the Cates kart for not paying attention to minor details, I got the message and chose to remedy that initial problem. You dont always have a lot of time between heat races to make repairs. A chain is something that you need to make as quick and painless as possible.

After checking the chain for any binding, I tightened the six bolts holding on the sprocket. Man this rear axle has a lot of drag. I cant believe Frank set it up this way. But he told me the axle was loose as it could be. And dont forget about that expensive aircraft grease he packed the bearings with. Yea whatever.

Hey Frank, you ever gonna get on the track today? Burning daylight you know. He finally walks back over and we set his kart down on the ground. He is suited up and ready to go again. I push the kart over to the starting grid and get ready to pull the rope. Frank drifts over and sits dow in the kart then straps his helmet tight. Frank points his finger up twirling it around and says "Gentleman, start my engine".

Frank hammers down on the gas and fishtails out on to the track. For some reason he is darting (no pun intended here) across both sides of the track. It looks sort of like he is trying to heat up the tires really aggressively. Except in the most dangerous way possible. He has his arms out stiff holding on tightly to the steering wheel. Without letting off the gas, I can hear him braking on and off for some reason.

Frank is looking up around and behind him like something is wrong. He is still jerking from one side of the track to the other. After making about half the way around the track he cuts across the infield heading back in a near uncontrollable state, then whips over and comes in the pit exit way too fast. He is trying to wave with one hand as the engine is reving up very high. I still hear the engine load down hard as he is pushing the brake pedal while still on the gas.

My guess is there might be something definitely wrong. How could anything "might" be wrong with Franks perfectly set up kart? I grab a Crescent wrench and run over behind him. The kart is slow enough now when he is holding the brake for me to knock the plug wire loose. Actually I was swinging and trying to break the spark plug off since the kart is still moving forward. Just some way to kill the engine quickly as possible.

Franks kart stops abruptly since the engine starts dieseling and now running backwards. The momentum I had going forward sent me over the top of Frank and his kart as it was now coming back towards me for some reason. I make a somersault above his kart then crashed hard in front of it on the ground.

Dang it that hurt! What the heck is wrong now Frank? This time it is my turn to do some yelling. Frank looks down and sees the gas pedal is wedged under the tie-rod on the right side. There is one long tie-rod that connects both spindles together and a short one connecting steering shaft to just one spindle.

Frank jumps up out of his kart and starts yelling again. There is something seriously wrong with this chassis. It is not handling right. I cant keep this thing going in a straight line. That scared the $\!+ out of me. I could have been killed on the track just then. My kart has gone pure evil or maybe even be possessed. Oh and I think the throttle got stuck too.

Gee Frank, you think? Really you think that? I was mad and getting madder. Frank you wanna know what I think? I think you got this super prototype Dart by Rupp of yours all jacked up. You should have left it alone. But no you had to fix everything. Do me a favor Frank, dont ever offer to help work on my kart. Like never! I turned and walked back over to where me and Steve were pitted.

Put a fork in me, I am done! Frank yells at no one in particular. Then storms off out of the pits and disappears over behind his Volkswagen. He had parked it under a big shade tree after unloading his equipment.

I see you are back to your old tricks again. Dont you get enough attention already without making a scene every time you are in public? It is getting embarrassing just to be seen around you some days. I was just about to tell Steve something I would have regretted, but knew he was trying to get me focused on something besides Frank just then.

Instead of going ballistic on him, I couldnt help but start laughing. It was funny. It also hurt a crap load flying over Franks kart. Another Kodak moment not caught on film. That would have been a great snap shot for our journal. Or even better, Franks big magazine cover shot. Oh, thanks for your words of distraction Steve, I think.

How are the karts? Are they ready for some more laps? Steve stands up straight then salutes. Yes sir just as you ordered. But not until you cool down a little bit first. Then we can get those laps in. He was right and I thought some water might do some good. Maybe a lot of water.

We actually remembered to bring a small water jug filled with ice and some sandwiches this time. I sat for a few minutes and tried to calm down. I felt too tensed up to eat right now, but water did help me chill out. Alright it is time for some laps Steve, lets go.

Steve had already pushed my kart to the grid, so I followed up behind and pushed his kart. He hopped in my kart and motioned me to give it a start. Crap, I forgot about offering him to take mine for a spin. I really would have enjoyed that little bit of extra speed from my kart to help me relax and get focused. It is going to be frustrating trying to keep up with Steve driving my kart instead of me.

Me and Steve both rip out of the pits on to the track now running side by side. Just like we would do if griding up for a actual race. Hopefully that will happen for real in the not too distant future. But right now, just making it out here for a practice day seems to be major drama.

Steve rips out in front and takes the lead. This is the first time I have even sat down in his kart. It feels good and solid. A lot smoother feeling than mine. Like the difference between a set of well used tires and ones that are brand new.

Oh wait, this is what it feels like because that is exactly what we have. My kart is hammered and repaired. His kart is a near perfect copy of mine with mostly new or good used parts. Otherwise it handles about the same. Just a bit more responsive than mine.

Steve is going all in down the long straight. But then brakes a lot earlier than normal. He pulled some good distance ahead, but now I can make most of it back. I almost hit the brake pedal when seeing him slow down, but decided to take a chance and went on the outside going in to the banked turn.

I got a little loose, but managed to hold on and still came out fast. Steve was right behind me. I doubt I can hold him off very long. There is definitely a big difference in the speed of our karts. He was right. If his kart is running the same as last time out, my kart is really holding all the aces.

Thru the back section Steve is actually bumping me in several places. I am trying to hold a tight line so he cant pass. But it wont last long. Soon as I pulled out on the short front straight, he buzzed me like I was riding the brake pedal. We go thru the next sweeping turn and head on to the long straight. He is pulling ahead way too much for me to hang with him now.

By the end of the long straight, he has several kart lengths on me. Even with him braking early there is no way to catch back up at this point. I now understand what Steve was talking about earlier.

Since there is no chance to hang with him now, my choice is to either give up and pull in or just enjoy the ride and get in as much track time as possible today. Hmm tough choice there buddy.

After a dozen or so laps, I finally decide to retire from this session. I slow down and put out my hand as the kart exits off the track. Just as I did, Steve came barreling around me blazing down the track. He would have lapped me if I chose to stay out there. Man I would not have heard the end of it if that happened. Good decision to call it quits for now.

Another lap and Steve pulls off the track and coasts up behind me. I am still sitting in his kart. Just staring over to Frank. He is standing there leaning back against the fence looking down at his super prototype Dart kart just shaking his head.

It does not appear he has done anything the whole time me and Steve were out making laps. Wonder what is going thru his head right now? No I dont care. But will find out soon enough. Frank starts heading over to us as we get out of our karts.

Steve is jumping up and down. Man you gotta get my engine set up like yours. This thing is awesome. It is so much faster than mine. Of course my kart does handle a little bit better. Oh yea there is a lot of travel in your brake pedal. You might want to check that over. Just saying...

Frank is standing there taking in all of Steves excitement. He has sort of a scowl on his face and I cant tell if he is really mad or bummed out. He better not go off on me or Steve about anything or I will not hesitate to throw it right back in his face.

Woof, woof, woof. So kid, how are you and your buddys karts running? Both of you looked real good out there. I didnt bother to get a time, but confident you are running maybe a couple of seconds faster than last time here.

Frank was quiet with a slightly humbled sound in his voice this time. Sounds so out of character for him. I dont know what to think at the moment. I sure aint gonna let my guard down right now. I am not mad at him so much as before, and wont plan on going that direction if he doesnt start into me about something.

The whole time Steve has been around Frank, never really had a direct conversation with him. But now Steve opens up and just lets go about our karts. How good they are handling, the engines running faster, and whatever I did to my engine better get down to his or else. This was Steves style of being casual and funny at the same time. I usually didnt see this side of him around people he doesnt feel comfortable talking with.

Glad you guys are running so good. My day just keeps getting worse. I dont know what happened since the last trip out here, but something is not right. Maybe the kart frame is tweaked or sprung somehow.

You know, that can happen if the rails are forced in position before being welded. Then later when the kart gets some time on it, that tension can transfer to a load differential at the wheels. Not too uncommon. You know since my kart being a prototype, could be the problem.

I was just about tired of hearing Frank come up with excuses. I am fairly certain what the problem is. But trying to tell Frank he is just a screw up might not be the wisest thing to say. Hey Frank, sorry about your kart not working like you hoped. I am sort of tired from Steve kicking my butt out there. You mind taking my place for a few laps while I relax a little bit. Steve looked over at me with one concerned expression on his face. But did not say anything.

Hey kid that is mighty nice of you offering. But I sure dont want to ruin your day if something screws up while I am driving. I would feel real bad about wasting the rest of today for you out here. You guys are the ones needing all the practice so you can start racing. I am just out here getting geared up and used to a different track. Its just my kart is butting heads with me right now.

No Frank I am serious. Take Steves kart out there and make some laps. I want to look over your kart anyway. It has got me interested and curious about figuring out what the problem might be. I know this sounds lame, but to me that is sometimes just as fun as making laps. Steve do you want the brake adjusted on my kart so you are more comfortable? You said it was off a bit.

Frank, me and Steve are going to gas up our karts for the next practice session. Go take a breather and be ready in a little while. OK? Sure kid, if you are positive about this. Both of your karts look solid running out there today. Maybe I can take a few relaxing laps and not be so upset about my kart right now. It might just do me some good.

Steve gives me the big stink eye as we push our karts back to the pit area. Oh yea sure let ole Frankie boy drive my kart out there. That guy can tear up a steel ball with a rubber hammer. And you just offered him my kart. Thanks for nothing.

Relax Steve, he wont tear up anything, because he aint going to be working on it. His driving might be different, not fast or even what I would call racing. But he is consistent. If nothing else he is consistent out there. Besides I have a good reason and you just might reap the reward from it. But if you would rather him drive my kart with the faster engine....

OK, just so you know, anything he screws up on my kart is coming off of your kart, if it keeps me from getting any more track time today. Otherwise no deal. Sounds fair enough Steve. I will agree to that whole heartedly. You are being more than fair. A heck of a lot more than I would be right now. Steve glares over at me with a puzzled look, Do what?

We go over both karts very carefully. Steve adjusts the slack out of my brake. I didnt want any chance of something going wrong while Frank was driving. If anything does happen, it would be of his making. Hey Steve, this is what I want you to do out there.

Take a whole lot of very conservative laps while Frank is following you. Dont try to choke down on the turns keeping him from passing. He wont be doing that anyway. Just make sure you dont run away from him. He needs to follow you closely as possible. For as long as possible.

Now you need to stay out there long enough for me to fix Franks kart. I am fairly certain what the problem is. Remember back when we first started putting my kart back together? All that stuff dad kept harping on trying to get us to understand the importance of the little stuff. How those small things add up real fast and can make a kart run not so good if you dont address them?

I have been watching how Frank works on his kart. Its almost like something is disconnected between his brain and his hands. You know how some people that either have no real mechanical ability or just dont care. Frank is off in there somewhere. He tries to talk a good game, but his delivery comes way short of the goal.

Yea I sort of figured that out about him already. Every time you guys go at it, I try to listen to some of the things he is spouting about. It dont really make sense, especially to me. But I am not an engineer, or with an engineers brain either. Man, you sure have put a lot of time in to helping him out. I hope it is worth it in the end.

Well time for you to get out there Steve. I got work to do. And a lot of it too. You know sort of when to come in when the tank is getting low. The engine will start to sputter in the far turn every time. If you dont see me wave you in before then, go ahead and get off the track. Otherwise, look for my signal.

Gotcha, that is a plan. But if Frank runs over me or bumps your kart too many times, I will casually take him out. Just innocently enough not causing any damage to my kart. And you aint sayin a word about it either if, well no, when it does happen.

We push the karts up to the grid. Hey Frank, you busy right now? If you are I will get someone else to take Steves kart around with him. Frank makes a mad dash over to the karts. Are you sure about this kid? If something breaks, I dont want to get snuckered with the repair bill. No Frank I am not sure. So do you want to drive the kart or not? If so, get in or forget it.

Now listen Frank, I dont know how your kart is supposed to handle, but take it easy at first. Get used to this kart and how it responds to your driving style. Wait....just forget that completely, Frank, I got a much better idea. Just forget you even know how to drive at all. I am sure you can do that. I want you just to follow Steve around. Try to stay right on his bumper. But dont ram into him. Drive like you are his shadow. Do you think that is even a possibility?

Kid, I can handle that with ease. I have enough experience driving. But I will follow your wishes since this is you guys stuff. Maybe I will find a fast line around the track out there I like. Running at such a much slower pace will give me some time to better find braking points and see where speed might get scrubbed off too much.

No Frank. Remember! Now you are supposed to be a brand new driver out there for the first time. Steve is going to run a slow steady pace until he knows you are tailing him consistently. Then start to speed up a little more. Eventually he will run a much faster pace. By then I hope your are his shadow and running right there with him. Just do it my way this time. OK?

Alright, I will try it your way without question. I am sure you are working an angle here somewhere. So lets get out there already. I am sort of getting curious how these Cratchet karts drive.

Both engines fire up almost immediately. My engine usually needs an extra pull on the rope. Unless I yank really hard the first time. But it fires up and responds perfectly. Both Steve and Frank head out on to the track.

If Frank keeps to his word I should have nothing to worry about. Steve will run a decent and steady pace hopefully trying to get Frank used to driving completely different that anything I have seen him doing previously.

Messages In This Thread
The Bench Racers Journal - by Terry Bentley - 11-22-2019, 08:49 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-23-2019, 11:20 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-23-2019, 02:23 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-25-2019, 10:18 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-26-2019, 10:25 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Bob Alexander - 11-26-2019, 04:44 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-26-2019, 05:06 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-27-2019, 01:52 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-27-2019, 11:26 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-27-2019, 03:21 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-29-2019, 09:24 AM