Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Bench Racers Journal
Chapter 65

Well its already middle of the week. We havent done much since our first practice day last Friday. Steve has been very scarce too. Actually too scarce. His dad put him to work until school starts back up. He wasnt even sure if there was much chance of getting back out to the track any time soon. But if something changed, he was all for getting out there at the earliest opportunity.

I was bummed out and still wondering about Frank. So much that I braved up myself enough to drop by his house this afternoon. I saw that Volkswagen sitting in the driveway and the garage door was up. There is a very queezy feeling in my stomach right now. Almost enough to turn back around and go home. But that wasnt going to happen. I was already here now.

Hey Frank, hows it going? He doesnt look up or say anything. Great this is going to suck biggly. He is probably still mad about last week. I start to turn my bike around and leave. Frank was sitting there with his left side to me. He was at his desk and working on something. I was almost back out to the street before he finally hollered at me.

HEY! HEY!, Get back here!. WHERE DO YOU THINK YOU ARE GOING?

Uh, whats up Frank?

HUH? GET IN HERE! RIGHT NOW!

Thats OK, Frank I am more comfortable out here, if you dont mind.

OF COURSE I MIND!. GET IN HERE RIGHT NOW! I WANT TO TALK TO YOU!

Look Frank, uh sorry about last week. I didnt mean just to ditch you there.

YEA! WELL, THATS PAST TENSE ISNT IT! COME IN HERE AND SIT DOWN!

UH, maybe I will see you later Frank. You dont seem to be is a very good mood right now. Some other time, K?

OH HELL! Sorry kid! I had this earphone in my left ear. Listening to my self help audio tapes. Helps keeps my head on straight these days. It is hard to tell how loud I am talking with my ear plugged. Sorry bout that. What you been up to? Thought you would have dropped by before now.

Anyway I found out the problem. Come on over here and take a look at this. So I go ahead and walk into the garage. His kart is up on a stand and engine has been removed. It is sitting on the workbench and has been torn apart..

Check this out. I knew there must have been something wrong with my motor. Just that I hadnt realized how down on power it really was. Been since last summer when I last raced. Also new to this track here. So I didnt catch it until after all them laps I put in. Thought something was wrong when your buddy was almost able to run right up there with me.

After I fix this problem here, maybe we can hit another practice day at the track again. It sure helps when there is someone else to give a hand. I usually do all the wrenching and racing by myself. Nobody else to help out at all. Seemed my ex ole lady was using those times I was racing to have a meet and greet with my also ex-boss. She never was interested in coming out there to pit for me. But had no problem with me going out to the track most weekends.

Well, I am sure you dont care about my past troubles. Come on in and see this for yourself. After I came home, it bugged me to no end. I finally decided to pull the engine apart. I went thru every scenario that could have been a reason for my engine just not putting out the ponies I knew is was capable of. Sure nuf, I found the problem.

Frank had the crank out of his Westbend 580. I have never seen one of these torn down before. I missed out on the issue of modifying one of these engines by Jim Butler in Karting World. My curiosity got the best of me. I put my guard down and went all the way inside the garage to see what he was talking about. This motor must be just like the 700 we got from Gasset. The one that is now Steves. But neither of us had been focused enough to tear it down just yet.

Frank sticks the pto bearing on his finger. Then spins the bearing by using air pressure. That bearing starts spinning up really fast and you can hear it whine. Sure isnt supposed to sound like this. That there is pure friction. Bearing is complete trash. Its a wonder the motor ran at all.

Frank handed me the crank bearing. Here spin this and tell me what you think. I am almost positive that is the problem. Motor sure cant run right with that kind of drag. Bearing might as well be a bench vice clamped down on the crankshaft. Sure cant do anything in that condition. Surprised the bearing didnt totally self destruct.

I take the crank bearing in my hand. It looked really clean and shiny. Frank then hands me an air hose connected to his compressor. I copy what he had just done. But from my past experience, it sure isnt going on any of my fingers. not this time. Did at once. Dont want to repeat that mistake again. It hurt. Like a lot.

I had been playing around spinning up a ball bearing with an air hose one day. They sure can spin up really high. And they sure can stop all the sudden without any warning too. But when the bearing locks up the whole thing starts spinning instead of just the outer race. Like really quick. Just for a split second. Enough to wreak havoc on your finger. An immediate burning feeling and a layer of skin is ripped right off. One of those one time mistakes you dont forget, ever.

So this time I just pinch the outer race of bearing between my thumb and finger, then spin it up just for a second with the air hose. If it decided to lock up, then just the inner race would stop and cause me to drop it. Instead of my finger experiencing what that old McCulloch lawnmower had gone thru several times.

I noticed the bearing was very dry too. It did feel like there was a lot of friction, but a dry bearing will do that. Frank, when did you figure this out? I am just curious what lead you to find the problem after tearing your engine down. Might as well learn these things when I get the chance.

Well I will tell you exactly when, kid. After the motor was torn down, I washed everything up real good over there in my parts cleaner. Soon as I picked it up, just knew there was a problem when I tried to blow it clean with the air hose. Sure enough. Well you can feel it right now. Not smooth at all. Bet my engine was 20% down on power because of this.

You know most people would miss something like this completely. Fortunately in my profession, well I dont usually let things get by me. Not at all. New parts are on the way. Got some special ones thru work. They should be here by tomorrow. Hey take a look at the rings too. What do you think?

They probably could do with a change. Gotta keep these things in good condition to stay fast. That wear is uneven if you look really close. Just one more thing somebody else would overlook from lack of experience. Having an engineers mind has its perks. Can be a heavy burden to carry around too. But the advantages totally out weigh the down sides.

I looked over the rings really close. Then got under the desk light to try for a better look. Frank, do you have a small magnifying glass by chance? After digging in his desk drawer he hands one to me. Thanks Frank. Even under magnification, I really didnt see anything that looked that bad. If these are worn out or bad as he thinks, my engine should not even be able to fire up.

Well, if you say so Frank. The rings dont look that bad to me. But I dont have a lot of real world experience with highly precision racing engines either. Just learning as I go along. But if you are sure, at least I know what to look for now.

Yea I am fairly certain the rings and crank bearing caused my engine not to perform like it should have. Just been too long since I been driving on the track. Being a new track this time didnt help at all. That is most likely why I didnt figure things out soon as I made my first laps.

Oh by the way, I want to thank you for helping me last week. I went back over the kart and very pleased with how you adjusted some of the things so well. Maybe I was just expecting too much. You know it being a new prototype and everything. Mic said he built two of these, but this one had not been tested on the track yet. I guess this kart didnt get the final treatment and made track ready before I secured the deal to buy it from him.

Gee Frank, since I left the track last week, all I thought was that you must have been mad at me for something. Thought maybe you were mad since we loaded up and left while you were still out there running making laps. Mom was waiting and ready to leave. But you didnt come off the track when I tried to wave you in.

Oh sorry `bout that kid. I was so focused driving there on the track. Thought something just wasnt right. Didnt figure it out until just a couple of days ago. Sometimes I completely zone out to anything else when working on a problem. Sort of like a horse wearing binders. I put all my focus on the problem at hand. I knew something was off, just didnt zero in on it right at first.

Soon as those parts come in, my motor will be back together and ready to go out for another practice. I think you were right about getting some more track time. Sure cant hurt. I am in top notch shape, but my driving might could use some freshening up. Been too long since I was racing every weekend. It is a little bit different than just riding a bicycle you know.

I didnt even think about the new kart either. It handles really well, but completely different than the old Sears kart. So much different that is was a total distraction. Before, I had to really work hard to make that old kart get around the track at a decent lap time. Took a lot of focus to be competitive. But I managed real well. Anybody else that tried to drive it, couldnt make a fast lap at all.

Gee Frank, you didnt make any changes that could help the kart handle better?

Sure kid. Thats a given. I spent plenty of nights working on set up in the garage. When I finally got it to the track, the kart was good as it could be. Just didnt handle all that great. Especially compared to my Dart. This prototype is like good as it comes. I cant see how Mic could make any improvements that would help this kart get any better. It is really that good.

I am just a little surprised all that stuff was overlooked when I picked it up. Should probably call up Mic and complain. That kart should have been race ready when I bought it. I didnt expect to make any changes after I got the thing home.

At the kart shop they assured me all I needed to do is bolt an engine on and go racing. Guess it was just a little too much sales hype. Thats a lesson there for you kid. Dont always believe everything someone tells you. Got it?

Yep, Frank that is a good lesson. I sure dont take anybodys word for most stuff. Just use what I am told more or less as a guide. Everything else is on my back. You know Frank, they didnt really lie to you. A motor could be bolted on and someone start racing.

Did they say the kart would handle the best as it is set up for? Or that you should make adjustments as needed for given track conditions? Maybe you just assumed too much. Know what they say about when you assume....

Ok kid, enough of all this over analyzing crap. Making my head hurt. And it is still sunburned too. This is too much like being at work. I need a beer anyway.

Hey Frank, Steve really wants to get out to the track soon as possible. But his dad has him working for rest of the summer. He doesnt know if there is any chance for another trip right now.

I am good to go just about any day. Sure would be cool to get out there again real soon. There are some things I want to try out. I have been working on some Tillotson carburetors off older chainsaws. It would be really awesome if one of them actually works better than what I am running.

So far, I managed to open up the throttle bore from 13/16" to 7/8". Then machined the air horn from 7/8" to 15/16". Most of the venturi sizes are 11/16". I have one up to 3/4" so far. I dont know how much bigger it can go just yet. There has to be a maximum bore of the venturi at some point before it doesnt work so good on an engine.

There are some neat ideas I have sketched on paper that would be cool to make into real parts. Maybe I can get back on that tonight. Everything is still set up on the lathe right now. Just got side tracked from finally making it out for a practice day last week.

You have been doing what to them carbs? You really think you can improve on all those years of development? You out thinking all those engineers with years of experience that have developed them? Then you butcher one up on a lathe? Just like that, you think they can be made to run better? By just running a bigger drill bit thru the center?

Heck no Frank. A drill bit sure aint going to help any. That is obvious. What I am was thinking about doing is grinding some tool steel to match the existing shape. Then just go a little bit larger. Sort of trying to copy that new Tillotson HL-115. It is supposed to be the latest and greatest out right now. Not developed for a purposed chainsaw or anything like that. But for all out performance. You know, it is like the new super carb.

Every one of these chainsaw carburetors are very similar to each other. But the internal passages are all completely different. Yet there is little difference in how they perform. So that became the base to work from. After studying them for the last couple of months, things started making sense. Just not understanding why some are the way they happen to be.

Now I am going just beyond that with a couple of them bored out bigger. I also plan to simplify the fuel circuits. They are anywhere from basic to bizarre. But yet they all work. Not too much chance I can mess one up very bad, even at first.

You missed my point kid. Real engineers designed these carbs from scratch. You cant just rewrite basic laws of physics and fluid dynamics. It takes years of school to even learn enough to understand how complex a carburetor actually is and performs. Nobody can just look at one and decide it works better a particular way. Life isnt that simple or easy. If it was, I would be out of a job like yesteryear.

Frank I am not planning on changing the laws of physics. That wasnt my point. From all the carburetors I have torn apart, they all follow the same basic design. Just some are so horribly thought out, anything would be an improvement over how they are. Yet, some are so simple and run no different than the others.

I just wanted to bore one out large as the casting would allow without breaking thru somewhere. Then drill out the fuel circuit until it is metering correctly for real track conditions. I think is might end up being a little different than for cutting trees down.

Frank tell me something. If four high dollar college educated engineers were assigned a task separately at designing something, but not given any particulars. Just focusing on the end result. How much alike do you think each one of them would be?

Well that depends on several factors. But it is more than likely to think none of them would resemble each other very much. Yet they should perform with almost identical results. At least the successful ones would anyway. You know the ones that followed all of the given information.

Ok, Frank, I am taking all of the decent ones and trying to combine the best ideas of each. Then putting it all together in one. If it works then great. If not, I had fun taking the time and trying something.

Again you miss the point kid. Why spend all that time to reinvent what is already out there. You could just buy the newest model carburetor and have everything needed without burning down a dozen engines trying the hard way. They are not that expensive.

Frank, why even bother to modify your engine to make it faster then? It should be the best right out of the box. Isnt that the same thing you are saying? Please explain how it is any different?

Kid, an engine is an engine. Totally different than a carburetor. You have to factor in mass production costs and where some things cost too much for the little gains they may produce. A carb doesnt have so much to factor against its potential and costs. You get it now?

Heck no Frank, not at all. Now I am even more determined to make a go at it. That is what I am going to work on tonight when I get back home. But thanks for the insight. It now reassures me even more the direction I am going is worth the trouble.

Well kid, I think you are totally wasting your time. But you do have a very hard head. And seem to work thru problems better than some guys I have dealt with. Maybe you will get lucky and not tear up too much equipment before realizing what I am telling you is smart. Well good luck, anyway.

K, Frank, I am headed out. Might drop back by in a couple of days. Maybe your kart will be finished and we can plan another day at the track to practice. Talk to ya, later.

Well that really confirmed my first gut feeling about how to proceed with these old chainsaw carburetors. So far Frank has been batting a thousand on being consistently wrong about everything. At least from how I am understanding things. I am still going to take what he has to offer and sift thru it. But I am not going to take it as fact just because he is a college grade engineer and he says so.

Messages In This Thread
The Bench Racers Journal - by Terry Bentley - 11-22-2019, 08:49 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-23-2019, 11:20 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-23-2019, 02:23 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-25-2019, 10:18 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-26-2019, 10:25 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Bob Alexander - 11-26-2019, 04:44 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-26-2019, 05:06 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-27-2019, 01:52 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-27-2019, 11:26 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-27-2019, 03:21 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-29-2019, 09:24 AM