Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Bench Racers Journal
Chapter 61

After spending part of this afternoon checking over the two karts from our previous days exploitation, Steve left for home. It was still fairly early. I got on my bike and headed over to Franks house. It was late enough that he should be home already. I was hoping to take some measurements on his kart. Just a quick check of the front and rear track width. More of just comparing it to the Cates and the new copy.

There was also some other things I wanted to run by Frank. Since he is an engineer of some type, maybe could answer some questions about balancing the Clinton a little better. You know he has that store bought college degree and everything.

Frank was standing out in the garage just watching an occasional passerby. His hands were on his waist and he didnt seem much in the way to being sociable. He was standing there with a slight scowl on his face. A real natural look for him.

Hey Frank, how is it going? At first he just stared me down. As I pulled up closer, he quietly said, Oh, its just you kid. So what do you want?

Just wanting to check something on your kart if you dont mind.

Yea sure, so long as you dont touch it.

OK Frank, That I can do. Or in this case, not do. Thanks. I still dont understand this guy. Is he really being serious or an attempt of just trying to be funny? Which obviously he isnt.

I pull my little pocket tape out and do a quick check. Thats all I needed. Thanks Frank. He response was just "Eh". I hopped back on my bike and was about to ride off. He then yells at me. Are you serious? You rode over here just to measure the wheels?

Yea Frank, I got the other kart finally finished. Both of them are slightly different in track width, since not the same type of wheels. I was just curious of what a Dart kart measured for comparison.

What other kart? I thought you had some home made Kratchets or something.

No, it is a Cates kart. I copied it. The other one turned out almost identical. So my buddy Steve and I can both start racing pretty soon.

I am supposed to believe you actually built a kart from scratch?

Well, yea Frank. Is that really so strange?

All my life I aint never seen no punks do anything but tear up chit or steal what aint chained down.

Sorry to disappoint you Frank, if I dont live up to your expectations of them neighborhood kids you admire so well.

Maybe you are just out casing my house and didnt expect to got caught by me. Then using some lame last minute made up excuse to try and cover your azz.

Sure Frank, that sounds much more likely. You caught me. I am guilty as charged. If you had just been turned around for a minute, maybe I could have pushed the kart out of your garage and you never would have known I was here. I am really slipping. Gotta go practice a lot more to be able to put one over on you.

You are one hella of a smart azz, kid. Dont know whether to kick your azz out to the street or offer you a beer. So Larry, then why did you really drop by?

My name is Terry, not Larry. Are you always this cordial with people? Or am I just a special case?
You didnt answer my question. Why did you really come by?

I wanted to measure your kart. I did that already. You dont seem very sociable right now. So maybe next time. See you round.

Just hold on there kid. If you want something let me know. I am just pushing your buttons. You sure can dish it out, but get a little defensive when someone throws chit back at you. Must have that only child syndrome thing going on. You know attention deprived. Let me guess you always get everything you want or throw a big temper tantrum when things dont go your way.

Wow Frank, you didnt tell me you were college educated in psychology too? Do you have a degree in that also? Would that make you a psychological engineer? Or maybe you are really a mind reader? Could be you have some Gypsy blood running thru them veins of yours too? You already got me totally figured out.

Alright Larry, uh Jerry......turn off the sarcasm. I am done. What can I help you with? Just making sure I aint wasting my time with you. Its not worth the effort for total losers. So far you passed....for now. Better not find out any different either.

Gee Frank, from you I take that as a comment.

Ok kid, thats enough smartazz for you. Maybe I did go a little overboard. But I wont waste a single minute of my valuable time on someone that can look me in the eyes, straight out lie, and stab me in the back.

Frank, my arms are not long enough to do both at the same time. Which one would you prefer first?

Kid, you are one smart azz. Maybe I can put up with you for a little while. So tell me about the new kart project. I am being serious this time. So cut the bullchit or I will just shut the garage door. Right as he said that he pushed a button on the wall and the garage door started coming down.

I stood there outside of his garage and watched the door close down and stopped all by itself. Then a moment later, it raised right back up. Frank had a large grin on his face. Pretty cool aint it? I just got this installed last week. I still get a big kick playing with it. Sorry kid. I was trying to bust your chops so I could have an excuse to try out the electric door. Wadda you think?

I was getting close to telling this guy where he could stick his electric garage door thing, but realized he really was just messing around with me. If I actually knew this guy, then maybe this is the norm with him. I sure dont know right now. So I will take it slowly with him. He may be a complete waste of time. But he could be worth putting up with. I have never encountered any real yankee before Frankie. Only heard rumors.

OK Frank, if you call a truce, I will try to be on my best behavior. But that may be difficult around you at first. So bear with me. It may take me a moment to get out of auto defense mode. My Cates kart is a real racing kart. This is the first kart using a fiberglass bucket seat that I am aware of right now. It is made by Lynn Cates in Ft Worth. You do know where that is right?

You almost disappointed me there kid. But came through at the end. Ok I will back off and we can bench race for a while. After you mentioned the kart last time, I did find out about it some more. Seems to be a fairly well made chassis. I made a call to my brother. He is my only brother and my favorite. Hey, I didnt tell you his name is also Terry. Maybe that is the reason I am enjoying messing with you so much.

So my brother talked to Mickey Rupp about your kart. Mic said that Cates in his opinion is more of an experimental chassis design. It has not been proven like the Dart. It might only work well at the local track. Thats all the input Mic had about it. There were none up in Ohio that he had seen anyway. A very heavy dose of Rupps. But that would only make sense. So tell me about the local tracks. I havent ventured out too far yet.

I relaxed a little bit more now. Frank might actually be human. I was starting to wonder. Then told Frank about the three tracks I knew were close by. The closest is Fabens. It is not 10 minutes east of here right off the highway. I had talked to my science teacher. He told me about the Whizzer track. It is a lot farther away somewhere almost to Lewisville. Probably a 45 minute drive to get there.

Another track I have heard of, but know nothing about is 77 South. It is down in the Oak Cliff side of town. I have never been that way. So cant tell him anything else. There is also some racing in Ft Worth and Denton. But only from listening to others talking at the track a few months ago.

Frank, since you have some kind of engineers degree, do you make use of it?

Why, yes, I do. That is how I make a living. Is there something you want me to explain about? Are you having trouble with the new frame? Do all four wheels sit flat on the ground?

Hum, Frank. That does sound like it could present a problem. But all of the tires are sitting on the ground and the wheels are round not flat. Its not a big deal, just something I was wondering about. It is actually about my Clinton bushing engine. Or is that not worth your store bought education to bother with?

No kid, the more I thought about it, a bushing engine is not that lame. Just cant be a high revving precisionly jeweled racing machine like the better designed ones out there. But you did say that is what you have to run, right?

Yes, the bushing part is not a big problem yet. My concerns are more towards the lack of ba1ance when the engine is reaching over 6000 rpm. From what I understand and comparing the flyweights on crankshafts to faster engines, there might be a problem. Do you know anything about figuring out the relation in reciprocating and rotating weight or mass, whatever its called, of crank, rod and piston?

Frank sat there for at least another minute before opening his mouth. He gets up goes to the fridge in his garage and grabs a cold beer. How about a beer?  

No thanks.

Ok, that isnt exactly where I thought your were going with this. Maybe I can do some research and come up with something. It shouldnt be too difficult. Nothing but mathematical calculations to figure it out.  You sure about that beer? That is really what makes bench racing so much fun.

Naw, I will pass. Everyone tells me that is an acquired taste. And it dont taste good to me. Maybe in about another 8 years, I will take you up on it. My taste buds cringe at the thought right now. But I might just grab a sip of water from your garden hose outside.

Yea, I wasnt a big beer drinker at your age either. But my dad always had me grabbing one for him. He really liked his beer. Eventually I picked up the habit too. Now the fridge is always full. Just help yourself if the urge hits. It does has some benefits. There are some carbonated sodas in the fridge too. If that is more to your liking. Way too sweet for my taste buds.

So why all the urgency about balancing this Clinton of yours? Something special about that particular one? The bushing engine, is yours that AR-2000 or Colt-45?

This one I have torn apart right now is an A-490. The E-65 has needle bearings instead of bushing.

Oh yea, I knew it was one of those. Never mess with them myself. Seen a few blow up. That was enough to steer me away real quick.

My choices are limited running in the junior class.  Only so much to work with. Besides that happens to be what I have several of right now. So make the best of it and see what these motors can do. There are plenty of bolt on aftermarket parts. I do have a Palmini intake with a 6 petal reed with a Tillotson carb.

Also one of the engines has a Bug Engineering rod. Unfortunately that thing has a lot of miles on it. I already swapped out crank and rod with an E-65. Eliminate any weak parts while I get some drive time. Then work on kart setup to handle best I know how or figure out.

What? You cant just hop down in any kart and drive fast as it will go? I can get any kart around a track. And fast mind you, if there is enough ponies bolted on. Thats what makes a real driver. Maybe I can show you how its done one of these days. It does take more than just skill. You need natural ability. You either got it or you dont. Some of us are just born lucky. What about you?

Wow! That would be awesome if you could show me some tips on driving. I am sure you will turn circles around me. Maybe I can get enough practice and hopefully, eventually be competitive. I am working on getting to the track soon. Much sooner that I would have guessed just a week ago.

Both karts are more or less finished and running well. Uh, well as I can do until some real track time. After some digging into the bottom of my piggy bank, I managed to pick up a few extra gear sets, a spare chain and the usual oils, lube and stuff like that.

I am seriously thinking about finding a stop watch. So when we go to test out the karts, can use it for comparison of different adjustments made. At first it wont really be of much use. Right now it would be more of a luxury , but after some track time, I think it will be a big asset.

Me and Steve have spent most of the summer so far working on the karts. Now we are close to making our first practice day a reality. I dont even have a helmet yet. That is one more thing I am keeping my eyes open for. Neither of us have helmets. Guess we will be waiting until then.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4755]
McHals

So what size is that overstuffed head of yours? I have my first helmet and a newer one. When I bought this special built Dart chassis from Mic, I made sure the shop included that new McHals helmet I now have. I drove a hard bargain, and he caved in. How much money you got to spend? I cant just give `em away you know.

Doesnt matter how much I got to spend, Frank. It matters how much you are willing to let them go for. But I would like to see what you have, if you dont mind. I might not be able to afford to buy one just yet, but at least I can find out if yours might fit.

Well this one here isnt much to brag about. Got me thru my first season. Needs a decent paint job, but otherwise...well it is a helmet. Now this other one here, it is like nearly new. I used it the last season I was still racing up in Ohio. Here see what you think.

Man, this older one sure is ugly. You actually wore this one is public? What color would you call that? Didnt the government outlaw this color a few years ago? Sorry, just messing with you Frank. That newer one is nice looking. You sure cant go wrong with choosing a white helmet. It is nice. Crap, unfortunatley is a little bit too small for my head. Oh well, thanks for showing them to me.

Here, try the older one on. It is a lot bigger. Too big for my head. It shook around all the time. That is why I quickly retired it and bought the other helmet.

Wow, that actually fits good. It stays tight around my head when I shake back and forth. Ok Frank, how much. There isnt much helmet here. But you already know that.

Well, it might be ugly, but it is still a solid helmet. If you cant afford a new one, well you know. So how much you got kid? Just throw out something. Never know I might bite.

Well Frank, I already know you bark so biting would not come as a big surprise.

Funny one, WOOF,WOOF, WOOF. How is that?

Frank you are strange. Let me ask you something tho, how much money would you spend on this ugly helmet. Lets just say, you are in my situation right now. How much would you spend to get that first helmet?

Kid, if you are trying to throw a curve ball right now, it aint gonna work. I got eagle eye vision. I can see what you are doing.

But if I were in your shoes, looking for something to get me on the track, then I would easily be willing to spend say, no less than two bucks. It would be worth at least that. Or you could spend the rest of your life watching from the grandstands.

You make a valid point there Frank. So my buddy Steve is also needing a helmet. I know he needs a slightly smaller helmet than what fits my noggin. He watches his nickels closer than even I do. But we both gotta bite the bullet if ever going to get on the track. How much?

For the white helmet, it aint leaving here for anything less than a crisp 10 dollar bill. Take it or leave it. Well like I said Frank, just wanted to take a look. Maybe I can mow some yards or collect more bottles for the rest of my life. That could get me there eventually.

So how much do you got to spend right now? Maybe I can bend just a little bit. I am not that greedy, but this aint the local second hand store either.

Wow, I have not even thought about that. Thanks for the suggestion. The second hand store probably has helmets and I can afford to shop there.

Just hold on for a minute. You might get lucky and possibly find a helmet for sale there. But these will fit your needs and maybe I can bend a little bit more on the price. Just make me an offer. The worst I can say is no.

Frank I dont want to insult your intelligence with some lame offer. But since you did ask....all I could afford right now....well I probably could come up with 6 dollars total for both. I know Steve doesnt have any extra money to spend. We both dumped everything in getting the karts put together.

That is the best I can do. Maybe in a few weeks. You never know, I might get some work that pays enough. For the rest of this summer tho money is going to be real tight. I mean really tight for me. If I cant afford it right now, then my racing will be on the back burner until finances are in better shape. Anyway thanks for showing me the helmets. I didnt mean to waste any of your time. That was inconsiderate of me. Well, I better be heading back home.

Hold on there, we might be able to work something out here. These old helmets really wont do me any good. I have my new one. Its the latest style and I dont see any reason to keep these others longer than necessary. They are just taking up space and collecting dust. So how long would it take you to get the six bucks together. I mean do you need maybe a week or so? Will that be good?

Frank, are you saying you will sell me the two helmets for six dollars? Am I understanding this right?

Yea kid, I might could do that. They are not doing me any good just sitting on the shelf. How about if I hold on to the helmets until you can pay for them. Is that good enough for you?

Sure Frank that is great. Tell you what! I will go ahead and pay for them right now. That way you wont loose any sleep worrying if some of those punk kids you keep bragging on might sneak in and steal them right off the shelf in your garage here. Hey, I have the money in my pocket. Thanks a bunch. You are now paid in full.

Actually the white helmet is going to be a present for my buddy Steve. His birthday is tomorrow. Without him I would not be anywhere close to racing yet. But without a helmet, he wont be able to race either. We cant share a helmet and be on the track at the same time. So you are really helping me out of a pinch. Thanks a bunch Frank. You arent half bad as everyone keeps telling me.

Everyone said what? Who told you, huh? Why do I feel like I just got had? I didnt fall for you lame sobby stories, but yet you got the deal I think you had already worked out in advance. Even before you saw the helmets. I am going to keep my eyes on you. There is a lot more going on here than I first gave you credit for.

Gee Frank, this time I will take that as a compliment. Thanks.

Attached Files
.jpg   McHals.jpg (Size: 2.37 MB / Downloads: 77)

Messages In This Thread
The Bench Racers Journal - by Terry Bentley - 11-22-2019, 08:49 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-23-2019, 11:20 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-23-2019, 02:23 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-25-2019, 10:18 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-26-2019, 10:25 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Bob Alexander - 11-26-2019, 04:44 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-26-2019, 05:06 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-27-2019, 01:52 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-27-2019, 11:26 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-27-2019, 03:21 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-29-2019, 09:24 AM