Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Bench Racers Journal
Chapter 56

For no real good reason I decided to try and bore out one of these Tillotson carburetors. After finding the sales information on the new HL-115, I was curious about how big one of the chainsaw carburetors could go. So while I was figuring out how to do it on the little Craftsman lathe, my mind just wondered back in time. It was over three years ago. Wow time sure flies. I cant believe it has been that long already. I really didnt know what to say.

Shortly before my tenth birthday, grandpa offered me an engine lathe. I sort of knew what a lathe was. But didnt really know what it had to do with engines. He said it was someone elses project picked up at a yard sale some time back. He had intended to rebuild it for himself, but so far it just sat in a box for too many years.

Since I had been so obsessed with small engines and tearing all kinds of lawnmowers and bicycles apart to see how they were made, then maybe it would be of some interest to me eventually. Grandpa even offered to help with the rebuilding when they visited. This way he could make sure it went together correctly and could help me with anything I got snagged on.

The day it showed up, snagged didnt even come close to what it got me. There was just a box of parts. I had no idea of what it even supposed to look like. Grandpa must have seen the apprehension in my facial expression. I dont know exactly what a blank stare looked like just then, but there must have been one on my face for sure.

Grandpa told me just put it aside and the next trip over we could look at it again together. Wow, what a relief. I surely didnt want to disappoint him. If he thought I could have any chance of getting this lathe together and running, by golly I didnt want to let him down.

During that time I also decided to find out exactly what it had to do with engines. After much frustration, the only thing I could actually match up with engines and lathes is the era when steam engines came into existence. The types of lathes designed that were capable of producing these parts was commonly referred to as an engine lathe.

But still so vague that didnt really seem valid. It also referred to a conventional style lathe that had a slide and power feed. I am thinking just going with it and so long as nobody asks specifically if I know, then dont go there. At least until I know for sure. If I ever will know at all? I have heard it always when someone is referring to a standard lathe.

There are other types of lathes that have no reference to "engine". This is now sort of making sense. A turret lathe is not an engine lathe. A wood lathe is not an engine lathe. Maybe I am on to something. Just nod if anyone refers to one and assume it is this style. Just a standard lathe.

I guess some long time ago way in the past you didnt have the option of different types, since nobody had actually invented them yet. No need to invent an engine lathe if the steam engine hasnt even been built or have any purpose. But then again, what machine are you going to use to build a lathe anyway?

There was always a sparkle in my grandfathers eyes when he talked about making things on a machine. The satisfaction of actually making a part yourself, even if it wasnt anything complicated or expensive. Just for all the time wasted driving to the hardware store and digging thru shelves, drawers and boxes for something, then still not always finding what you are looking for.

You also need to factor in the cost of that one part. If you had to work for that money, then trade it for something that someone else is making money on, well there was always another option. Instead, spend that same time figuring out how it is made and try to make it for yourself.

What about something that is no longer available or even exists? But then what doesnt exist these days? Its 1961, surely there cant be that much more to discover. Just about everything you could possibly want or need has been or already being made.

That day he brought that box of parts over was overwhelming to me as I look back now. But the determination I put forth was nothing short of miraculous. With each visit, he explained every component of the lathe and what I should do with it.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4732]
Lathe parts1
[Image: attachment.php?aid=4733]
Lathe parts2

He started out with me working on individual pieces at first. I would disassemble the smaller assemblies. Then clean all the pieces up and be ready when he dropped by to help with putting all them back together. With each visit I would repeat this and it became so much easier after the first bits of stuff started going back together.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4734]
Lathe parts3
[Image: attachment.php?aid=4735]
Lathe parts5

Eventually those little pieces turned into bigger parts. Over time we would start to assemble these all back on the lathe bed.Then it was resembling something more than odd shaped steel and iron. It must have taken two years before the lathe was actually sitting on a table top and appeared to resemble anything close to a functional machine.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4736]
Lathe parts6

I actually looked forward to making more progress when this project started taking shape like the pictures he would always bring over. These would help to encourage me with what it was supposed to actually look like completed one day.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4737]
Craftsman lathe1

That day came and went. The lathe then sat for many more months. I really didnt have any idea of what it could be used for just yet. Eventually it became handy to polish lawn mower crankshafts, piston pins, valves, rusty bolts, and other things that could be chucked up and spun around.

Before long I actually made my very first part. It was a nut for the rear axle on my bicycle. Those oddball threads that dont jive with standard nuts and bolts. Why do bicycles have to be made in weird sizes? What else does a 17/32, 19/32 and 25/32" wrench ever fit anyway?

From that time I finally started making things on the lathe, it opened up my eyes to so much more. Since then the lathe has become an extension of my hands. Unfortunately the more I use it, the more I find its limitations. If it were only a 12 inch lathe. I could do so much more. Wow, that would be so awesome.

I was really starting to understand how grandpa felt when describing things he had made. Especially for other people. You fix something for one person. They tell two people, and so on. Before long you find yourself having to turn down doing things or charge them something for your time.

This actually ran off a lot of people who just seemed to think it was no big deal to fix something. So long as it was someone else doing the work. Grandpa had learned a big lesson like this about some people. He tried to explain this to me, but didnt really sink in just yet.

This also opened up one of those life lessons that is supposed to be passed down from generation to generation.  Everyone eventually gets some type of eye opening lecture about life. Might be minor and not really useful. Or one that slaps you hard in the face. You know like a brick.

One day I was so impressed with myself. At least for the first few times after that. It made me proud to tell him about it. I had fixed something for a neighbor using the lathe. The man was very pleased and said so plenty of times. Mentioned it every time I saw him. I was thanked, but didnt see that neighbor again until something else needed repair. Same thing happened next time.

But things changed. I was raved about from this person until it was starting to annoy me. One more time I didnt see this neighbor until another problem was needing addressed. It was urgent to get this one thing fixed right away. So urgent he assured me, that I spent most of the evening working my butt off and got it done. Neighbor was thrilled and left.

Unfortunately I got an unacceptable grade on an unfinished assignment the next day. These friendly favors now had officially stopped. The next time my neighbor dropped in for an expected quicky fix, he got mad when I tried to explain to him my homework had to come first. I didnt mind helping out, but it would be the weekend before I could get started. This neighbor got mad, said a few thing under his breath and left. I have not seen him since.

After telling grandpa this story about the neighbor, we sat down in the garage and he went to explaining about people. First thing he did was ask if I had a couple of Mountain Dews we could drink together. I didnt realize he knew I drank these or he even liked them. I quickly grabbed a couple of them and returned out to the garage.

He gets comfortable in a chair. Then takes a few sips and just sits there quiet for a moment. This is the part where he clears his throat first. There are basically three types of people in the world you will meet during your life. The shakers, the makers and the takers. He then went on to tell me I would eventually find myself fitting in one or two of these types.

The shakers he explained are people that are more carried by their emotions. The react to how they feel more than make logical responsible decisions. They usually act before thinking. These are also people that might seem mad at the world. Nothing is ever right. They might complain about everything. Nothing is ever good enough.

Sometimes these people can stir the pot enough so positive changes are made and everyone can benefit from. Other times it may only be to benefit themselves. There are some people who like to protest about everything. Many politicians may also fit in this group.

There are people that just think they should be in control or lead others may fit here. Control freaks may be people that fit too. These people usually think they are smarter for whatever reason. No amount of proving otherwise will change their minds tho.

He goes on and on about this group. So much so, I had to drown most of it out. This is a large group. Some explanations of them needed more explanations. But too much to comprehend or absorb right now. I would have to pick up on this later in a few years when I had some real world experience with this type.

Next, he goes on. You have the makers. These are usually more level headed thinkers and doer's. These are the people that make things obviously. From simply flipping burgers at a hamburger joint to building skyscrapers. They are the working class. People that prefer to do "hands on" than delegate work to others. They dont usually rely or expect others to do things for them.

There is a wide range of people that fit here too. They include the inventors to garbage collectors. From scientists to plumbers. Without these people nothing would ever get done. Many of these people will take full responsibility for something when things go wrong. They dont try to point the blame on others for their own failures or short comings. Some of them will actually learn from their own mistakes and move forward.

The other main group are the takers. These people are the ones that prefer to have other people do the hard work. If they can get someone else to do something then they are happy. These people would prefer to not put much thought in ways to solve their own problems. It usually is someone elses fault to them.

They might feel oppressed, or deserving of things they didnt work for. They can be jealous and envious of others that have things they dont. But these people see no reason they should have to work hard to get things they want or other people have.

These takers may also think their problems are due to others. They tend to blame other people for their own shortcomings mistakes and troubles. They would likely sit on their lazy asses and complain than so something about it.

Woh, there grandpa. Hold on a minute. Did I hear you right? Thinking all this to my self right then. Did he say what it sounded like? That is an absolute first. I have never head him use any type of course language ever in my life. Or even really say bad about anyone either.

Maybe I am not ready to grow up just yet. How about we hold off a few more years for the rest of this lecture. Its possible this one could stunt my growth. You dont want that on your shoulders, do you? OK maybe I am just getting overworked with this. Brain is just taking in too much at one time. He stopped for a moment and took a few more sips. Maybe the expression on my face or lack of one may have caused him notice.

As he continues talking, These people may lack the motivation to work hard in order to achieve or acquire something they might want. So they sit around and feel it is unfair that others have things they dont. They also have no problem taking from someone that offers help without any obligation to repay or make good of favors or work done.

If they can get someone else to do something, then one less thing they have to do themselves. If someone else is willing, then they are first in line to take advantage of it. You will meet a lot of these type people in your life as you grow up. Be very careful because these types might just take advantage of you and everything you have if there is a chance they can get away with it.

You will find out these types usually get in the habit of taking from others. If that stops they are also the first to start complaining about how unjust life is after loosing some of the freebies that had been given their way. Nothing short of more handouts will ever make them satisfied enough either.

To some degree most thugs, thieves and common criminals fit into this profile. People can also fit in two or all three types. You just need to be aware, so not to get taken advantage of. Do you understand what I am talking about?

OK, after that little life lesson speech, I was completely blown away. I have also never seen this side of my grandfather before. A lot more worldly and knowledgeable than I had ever given any thought about before. Man do I have a lot to learn before growing up.

He sat there quietly for a few more minutes. Then finished the Mountain Dew and just smiled at me. This is also the first time me and grandpa had any deeper conversation than what I was familiar with at home. He just blew me away. I was overwhelmed and speechless after that. He patted me on my head and said growing up is not all that difficult. You just need little bits and pieces of it at a time.

Just like putting the lathe back together. Might seem overwhelming at first, but one piece at a time, and look what you have accomplished. This is enough for now. Maybe even for a couple more years. I just looked up and nodded my head up and down to him with my mouth wide open. I had nothing to say. Is this what I had to look forward to as I was approaching my 12th birthday back then? Will it get even more complicated?

After this one time life lesson, I had on many occasions wanted to try and follow up with questions. But there was always a loss of words when I tried to ask something. There was so much more he had covered that day, I still havent been able to absorb it. Lost somewhere between my frontal lobe and cerebel cortex.

Could just be in cold storage until the need to retrieve it comes sometime in the very distant future. Maybe one day, I will get that cold chill running down my spine, and some of the things he tried to explain will finally fall in place and make more sense. Or maybe just keep it all locked up for safe keeping.

Attached Files
.jpg   Craftsman parts1.jpg (Size: 99.45 KB / Downloads: 151)
.jpg   Craftsman parts2.jpg (Size: 98.28 KB / Downloads: 151)
.jpg   Craftsman parts3.jpg (Size: 122.58 KB / Downloads: 151)
.jpg   Craftsman parts5.jpg (Size: 92.1 KB / Downloads: 151)
.jpg   Craftsman parts6.jpg (Size: 83.84 KB / Downloads: 151)
.jpg   Craftsman lathe1.jpg (Size: 41.1 KB / Downloads: 151)

Messages In This Thread
The Bench Racers Journal - by Terry Bentley - 11-22-2019, 08:49 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-23-2019, 11:20 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-23-2019, 02:23 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-25-2019, 10:18 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-26-2019, 10:25 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Bob Alexander - 11-26-2019, 04:44 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-26-2019, 05:06 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-27-2019, 01:52 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-27-2019, 11:26 AM
RE: Stories from the past - by Terry Bentley - 11-27-2019, 03:21 PM
RE: Stories from the past - by Paul F - 11-29-2019, 09:24 AM