Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Bench Racers Journal
Chapter 7

Steve and I, I believe that is the correct way to say it, but sounds better the other way. So, me and Steve, we are going around the pits looking over anything that has four wheels and makes noise. We would have payed more attention to the feed store grain scales under roof at the tech barn if equipped with a motor too.

Some of these karts were easy to put a name to, others not so much. A few karts were all alike, but looked like cheap copies of one I had seen advertised in the magazine. Then some just looked like a bad day in the chop shop. Like Jr high metal shop disaster 101. Things that should not be done for school projects. Or a fast way to fail my class, says the shop teacher. There were a still few running with dead axles. Mostly people looking like that may not have been racing very long. I saw one kart that really caught my attention.

Hey Steve look at this oddball looking kart. I said a little too loudly, before lowering my voice. Hey, covering my mouth in a whisper this time, that kart has a plastic seat. Why would anybody do something like that? Is this some homemade backyard special? Look how much ground clearance it has! This thing is made of square tubing too. You could drive another kart under this one. If I ever built a kart....it wouldnt....Dad yells at us. Hey guys, there you are. Time to head up to the stands or behind that fence over there. Races are about to start.

We bailed out of the pits and over to a fenced area where most of the track can be seen. Eventually the first kart come out and take two laps each. As the first kart starts its second lap the next kart is motioned out on the track. So they are taking lap times. You get one warm up lap then on the clock. As you are finishing your timed lap, the second kart started theirs. This continues on for the next hour, until everyone who is registered registered to race tonight has been timed.

Under a canopy behind the flagman is a table set up. There are three women with stop watches timing the drivers as they pass by. They write down each drivers lap time on a tablet. I bet it is a headache to keep focus on the one driver being timed while another one is also making laps. At one point there are three drivers on the track at the same time. Maybe they are accustomed to this after doing it for so long. I wonder if the same people time the drivers each week? Never realized how many things need to be done in order to put on a race.

For a while Steve and I were yelling at each other with observations we had made. But the noise from karts making laps was overbearing and made hearing each other nearly impossible. We resigned from trying to speak and just watch, taking notes in out heads. Occasionally we would nudge each other and pointing to something. But neither of us missed anything. Just acknowledging what we both were seeing.

When it came time for the big bad dual engine karts to run time trials, I did notice something. Most of the drivers were rather large. Really big old men that looked funny crammed into a karts small frame. Reminded me of a Warner Brothers cartoon when the dog was driving a car. You know the one where the dog was sticking way up above the car body. The car would bow up and down driving along, with the tires going from round to egg shape. Like both were made of rubber.

What really stood out is a lot of these dual engine giants didnt seem to really go any faster than the single engine karts. There were a couple that looked like missiles. But some seemed to go slower than the singles. They were making a terrible amount of noise. But taking noticeably more time, it seemed to me getting around the track. I needed to ask some more questions, because this was not making much sense to me right now. What gives I wonder?

Time for a break while they tally up everything and get ready for the first heat races. I had some time to go investigate. So back into the pits I went. How do you ask a big giant of a man why his kart is slower than some of the juniors running in the stock bushing classes? OK dumb idea. I will just try to keep my mouth shut and listen. Sometimes that is the best way to really learn things. So I have been told more than once.

Hey moron, wait up. Where are you going in such a hurry. I forgot about Steve, who was half way across the track still way behind me. He was stopped at one of the faster single engine karts that looked like belonging to a team. I have to admit that kart did look sharp. All of the drivers and crew pitted together under a canopy. They had matching jackets too. On the front of those jackets had GoKart in a real flashy logo. Wow those guys really look serious. Wonder who they are?
love this.
keep it going please.
d Cool
Dave L.
(11-27-2019, 03:21 PM)Terry Bentley Wrote: I have heard them called that long as I can remember. In the sixties tillers were very common and everywhere, That is where I first remember hearing the reference growing up. IKF started allowing 4 strokes in 1974. Even then that was the term of choice.

That makes a lot of sense.  They just weren't around on karts in the earlier days therefor nobody mentioned them around me in those days.  Thanks!
Chapter 8

So much for listening and learning. Most of these older guys just pushed kart to their pits and found some shade. So I ran over to where Steve had stopped and focusing his attention. As I got closer, then realized the karts are Go Kart 800's. The real thing. I have only seen them in the ads when reading magazines. These karts looked awesome. One had a Mc6, another with Mc10, and that dual had 2 Mc10's. Hey, I dont remember that guy making time trial. What gives?

While we were just standing over these really cool karts and drooling, one of the team members walked over and introduced himself. Hi there, boys, my name is Bob Bosemer. We both acknowledge him, and say how cool these karts look. He then goes on to tell us that they are some of the team drivers for Go Kart. I just about swallowed my tongue with such a gasp inhaling more air than could use for a few more breaths.

You sometimes read about people and places in the magazines. They always seem bigger than life. Like the movie star thing. Except this is more down to earth and believable. But I am standing in the pits of some of the biggest names and best drivers out there. Almost like a dream, but my eyes are open for this one.

Wha...wha...what? What are you, uh factory team drivers doing at this small track for a weekend race? Well we are here to race, isnt that what you normally do at at a track? I felt ten shades of stupid. Steve nudged in the side with an elbow. Yea man, what else would they be doing at a track? In a meek tone in response, I thought you guys are usually going to all of the big meets like Mansfield and Rockford. And where is that other big race? That island. Oh yea, Bahamas.

You are exactly right. We are making all of the major races this year. Including those you just mentioned. But the company decided we should visit as many tracks between those scheduled races that we can. This is for good PR and exposure to sell the Go Karts. Understanding and shaking my head, Oh that makes sense. But doesnt it get boring going to small weekend races with only local drivers and just winning all the time?

He then responded with an unlikely answer that would not have crossed my mind. He explained; Going across the country on tracks we dont have any drive time on, doesnt mean we will be the ones winning. There is a lot of local competition that is really hard to beat. They have the home track advantage with drive time and setup we dont. Makes for some interesting racing at times, if you know what I mean.

Wow that makes a lot of sense, now it has been explained. As I was eyeing all of the karts, noticed none of them had been in the time trials. I asked why. He said they had practiced earlier and normally just start back of the pack in all three heat races. It is always fun to win, especially when everyone is really competitive. But it is a lot more fun to race. This way we keep our driving skills tuned up top notch.

If I went out and was fastest in time trials, then start at the front, there is no real nose to nose racing. Then all I would have to do is hold my position and dont make any mistakes. It would likely be an easy win that way. But to start in the back of the pack, especially with a bunch of unknowns, I have to actually drive and pass people. This isnt easy as it might sound competing with drivers I have never driven with before. There is the real challenge. Then if I do win, it allows everyone to see how well the Go Kart really handles. Especially thru traffic. If we dont "clean house", he added with air quotes, it at least is a real good race for the drivers and spectators.

Normally we do really well at local tracks when traveling between the big meets. But we dont always win. There is some serious competition out here today. Just being a local driver doesnt mean you wouldnt be competitive on a national level. If there was a big race here, we would focus on the faster locals first and then work on setup to improve from that. It is a fairly reliable way to learn a new track in short amount of time that way.

Bob then introduced another driver. He said this odd looking guy with a flat head is Sets Kanamoto. He runs the A Unlimited kart. Its all of none for him. This guy will probably clean house. His engine is really maxed out and hard to beat. The other guy over there is Tex Bell. He is running the B Super class. He is really fast and extremely hard to get around. The only way to pass him is getting the jump out of a turn. Because once he is running down the straights, is almost untouchable. If a driver passes him, hes got game. Well it is nice to meet some of the local competition out here. I then told him, Unfortunately we were just spectators, but hoping to start racing soon. He said from the look in my eyes, was able to tell I would be one of those guys racing for a long time. It gets in your blood and nothing else you do will curb the desire.

We got chased out of the pits right after that. Then thanking Bob for spending time to talk with us, headed back outside the fence to watch some racing. After the second heat was finished, there was intermission. Finally time to slow down and absorb everything that has taken place. Man there is no way I will be getting any sleep after this is over and back home tonight.

We walked away from the track heading towards the concession stand. On the way, Steve asked if I saw how that kid in the junior class was acting after he got beat. I did notice he seemed to really be mad about something. He started yelling at the other kid that won. The parents had to separate both of them. A few minutes later, the kid that got beat was being lectured by his dad. He took him behind their car and cussing up a storm. His arms were waving all over the place It looked to me like that kid was flinching every time his dads arms went up. Steve cut in saying, You know if my dad caught me cussing like that...well I wouldnt be able to sit down for a month of Sundays. Not to mention I wouldnt be getting to do any racing long as I was living at home.

After grabbing some refreshments, me and Steve head over to the picnic table and sit down with dad. He is there with Van Ingram talking about everything under the sun. Next to him is an older man I have not met before. Oh wait, that is the guy with the square tubing kart and plastic seat. Oh crap, this is embarrassing. Hope he didnt overhear anything I was going off about.

I didnt realize until that moment the square tubing kart was running in B Super class. It was the only kart that gave Tex Bell any real trouble. That oddball home made looking square tubing frame was actually leading for a few laps, then Tex made an amazing pass right at the end of the longest straight. After that he stayed on Tex basically riding his bumper. If Tex had made just one mistake, it is likely this kart would have been able to get back around and beat him to the checkered flag. The finish was about half way down the longer straight. Tex's kart seemed to have a real advantage and pick up serious speed towards the end of the straight.

I sit down and everyone stops talking and gives me a once over. Crap, why are they all just staring at me. Is my hair that messed up or grease all over my face? My dad says, Yea thats him. My son thinks he wants to start racing. What do you guys think? Van Ingram thought I was still a little puny, but might have what it takes. The other man that I had not met before, ask if I had the opportunity yet to even drive a kart. With my eyes looking down, No sir. Then my dad said, Well not completely true. A few years ago...as my dad starts to tell a story, the boy got his first chance to test drive a kart I put together when his older brother was interested at the time.

I realized then what story dad was getting ready to tell everyone. So this overly self-conscious body of mine just shrank down on the bench and my eyes stared down to the ground. This was really embarrassing and wished to have been anywhere else but there right at that moment.

My dad goes on with the great event that set my wheels in motion. Yea, it was about three years now, I built up a kart, much like was being put together back then. It only had a Clinton 4 cycle for power. Borrowed it off the cement mixer. Those old motors are really reliable, you know. But it was just something to get his feet wet. Or in my case run over, if I wasnt careful. The audience all gave a chuckle. Anyway the older boy did fine his first time driving around in the back yard. Fairly cautious and didnt take any risks. This boy here tho, as he ran his hand thru my hair, well he seemed really excited about maybe getting to drive it himself. His mom wasnt very happy about the idea tho, him driving one just yet. She said maybe still a little too young. I said you may be right, but lets see what he can do. So I told him how to sit and what the pedals did. Just start out and try to take it slowly. Guess he missed that last part. Again some more laughter from the crowd. No sooner the motor was started, he hit that gas pedal and didnt let up. No not for a second. Not for one second.

The wheel was turned left and he never missed a beat. Maybe he had his eyes set on dirt racing with that left turn only thing. I didnt realize until that moment the kart would go so fast. He was running in as tight a circle this kart would likely go. His eyes, well lets just say they were really big at the moment. He never let off the gas pedal. All the people sitting at that table started laughing and enjoying at my expense of total humiliation as the story continued.

So I realized maybe the boy here had froze and didnt quite know what to do. His mom was raising her voice in much needed concern. Before this racer(heavily emphasized) here killed himself or one of us trying to keep out of his way, I decided to take grab at him. He was getting a little too close to a tree nearby. No reason to make a trip to the emergency room that afternoon. I got lucky and was able to get close enough to reach down and snatch him up and clear of the kart. It worked out fine. The kart then just straightened out, but didnt slow down not a bit. It went straight for the fence. Drove itself right under the chain link and wedged in tight. So it got stuck. The tires were still spinning, so I ran over and killed the engine.

Went back to check on the boy and he finally seemed to relax a little, after waving my hand in front of him realizing what had just taken place. Since then all does is go on and on about wanting to start racing. By this time most of the elders sitting at the table were having a good laugh again at my expense.

The one man that raced the square tubing kart asked if I would like to drive it after the races were over. I was a little perturbed. Without looking up at him and said that it wasnt funny at all, and please not to tease me about it. He stared back with a firm face then said, Son I am serious! How else are you going to find out if you really want to start racing. I looked over to my dad at a complete loss of words. He suggested I should focus my attention to Lynn, since its his kart you are going to drive.

Then the man stuck his hand out for a shake. Hello, my name is Piner Lynn Cates. Now we are formally introduced you can call me Lynn. His name is Cates? I have than funny looking kart over there made from square tubing. A light round of laughter went across the table. It is nice to finally meet you. Seems you have made a name for yourself tonight. I have been hearing a lot about you. Talking about inserting foot in mouth. When am I going to learn to just keep it shut. Oh wait I cant right now. There is a shoe still stuck in my pie hole. Remember, listen and learn. If one talks too much there is no way to listen to others. Speak a lot, learn not.
Chapter 9

How could I not say, YES, I would love to take your awesome kart around sir. But NO! I didnt do that. I did thank him for the offer and then declined. My stupid excuse was not having a helmet or jacket. He told me to at least think about it. The offer still stands for tonight. He was sure something could be rounded up so my noggin would be protected.

The loud speaker gave out a squelch and announcer said the third heat was about to start. Time for A Bushing Juniors to grid and have A Standard Senior on deck. So everyone dispersed. Steve and I headed back to the fence where we had been watching the race before.

I was in my own little world thinking about the chance of actually driving a REAL racing kart...Then got a sharp invite back to the real world when Steve slugged me on the arm. You IDIOT! What is your problem. Was I in an alternate universe just a while ago or did you turn down a free ride? Mr. Cates did offer you a ride, right? Are you plumb loco? He gave you the chance to drive, DRIVE his kart! And you said "No thank you". Sorry, that was "No thank you, sir!" Well its nice to see you have manners sometimes. Jeez! I wouldnt have hesitated for a second. What is wrong with you? I just dont get it.

Do you really have to rub it in, Steve? I know what I just did. Yes, I do feel like a real idiot right now. You realize except for driving that wooden crate we built with lawnmower wheels and a very wimpy washing machine motor, I havent really driven anything fast before. I want to. You know I really want to. But did you see how fast that twin engine kart of his was going. It is fast as one of the best drivers karts in the known racing world! What is I wrecked it or something. What if I killed myself? Did you ever think about that? Not to mention all of those stupid comments I made about his kart in the pits earlier. I feel like a heel.

Dude you always luck in to stuff like this. But never take anyone up on the offers. I would be all over it myself. But hardly anyone ever throws a bone my way.

Steve quietened down while they were gridding up the first class. For some reason all of the racing, which had been really exciting earlier, was not my focus right now. Yes I did turn down that ride. Oh how I would love the chance to drive his kart. But my luck, would make myself look like a complete fool. What would my dad think? I dont really know how to drive a kart anyway. What if I dont have what it takes to be a real driver? So why am I out here in the first place?
tater diggers and Horstman clutches where the end of Karting for me in 73-74,,,,,

couldn't figure out how to make a Horstman work and wanted no part of 4 strokes...and still don't...ba humbug

gw
Hey, GW. I agree on the four cycles, but Christmas is coming; mustn't be a Grinch!
Put me in mind of the Brevard County Kart Club's 1962 Christmas party. Everybody dressed up weird. We had a lot of fun. My sweet girlfriend, Brenda, with help from her mom, shaved my legs, put me in stockings, mini-skirt, stuffed bra, wig and makeup. One slightly inebriated club guy actually made a pass at me! I'm kinda glad the pictures from the party were in one of my old kart albums that got stolen. TJ
(12-05-2019, 03:49 PM)Gary Wlodarsky Wrote: tater diggers and Horstman clutches where the end of Karting for me in 73-74,,,,,

couldn't figure out how to make a Horstman work   and wanted no part of 4 strokes...and still don't...ba humbug

gw

What???  My heyday years Macs and Margays!!
Chapter 10

Pulling myself back from space cadet mode, I hear a bunch of ruckus and look over to where it is coming from. Over in the pits, the junior drivers are lined up and about ready to start. That one kid who had made such a big scene earlier was at it again. This time he was yelling and cussing worse than the dad. I told Steve how bad that sounds and a good reason just not to use certain language especially if you are really mad and out of control. That must be awfully humiliating for any of his friends out here tonight. Then remembered both of my older brothers mouthing off or saying things not allowed in our house and suffering the consequences.

Fortunately I am a quick learner on some stuff. Obviously not so quick on others. Each time mom caught one of them using inappropriate language, or potty mouth as she would say, got the same treatment. She would grab my brother and drag him to the bathroom.

Mom would actually stuff a bar of soap in his mouth. I am washing this filth out of your mouth until I think it is clean enough. Each time it happened she scrubbed harder to make sure she all of those nasty sounding words did not come back.

To see this repeatedly when I was younger is an all sure cure from ever getting that cussing bug. I never wanted to find out what soap tasted like or ever find out, especially in front of any friends that might be hanging out at the time.

So back to the yelling that has gotten considerably louder by now. The dad is telling his kid, "Then get out there and win. Shooting your mouth off here in the pits doesnt prove anything. If you think you are the better driver, then &@$#^ boy go prove it to ME. Prove it to everyone here!" By now the rest of these junior drivers are quiet and just watching all the fireworks taking place. That kid finally shuts up, uses a foot to kick his helmet out of the way, and pops down in the seat of his kart. Then yells at his mom to pick it up and give it to him. I can think of several things to give him. And none of them would be his helmet. Unless to knock him up the side of his head.

If I acted like that, my racing days would be over before ever starting. If I treated my equipment like that kid did to his, would be sold off and I would be out of a ride. Well I dont have a ride yet, so maybe this is another time to learn it the easy way instead of living it the hard way. So once again I am back to figuring out why I declined to take Mr Cates up on his offer. Dumb dumb dumb.

Wow look at that! Holy crap! Those junior drivers just took themselves out. Half the pack is gone. Looks like a restart. Huh? Steve had been going on about something, when I looked up to see there was a big wreck at start of this race. Seems when the flag dropped, driver on second row outside jumped the gun and bounced off the kart in front. Then turned down and hit the back of driver on pole. None of the karts behind even slowed down. They just piled up and stacked on top of each other. Engines were running wide open, tires were squealing, and smoke so thick nobody could see after a few seconds. All of the drivers crew, guessing mostly parents headed out to try and separate the heap.

So they line up again. Except this time that one driver is sent to back of the pack. Oh he is mad too. More cussing, but this time to the grid steward. But the gentleman doesnt take very kindly to the kids mouth. Pointing his authoritative finger down to the kid, he is declared disqualified and to remove himself and equipment off the track immediately.

Now the parents are next to blow up. They run over to the grid steward and start cussing at him too. The steward now telling the whole family they are barred from the races for rest of the night. So the dad, grabs front of that kart, yelling and screaming all kinds of obscenities then demands his money back and threatens to sue the track. He drags the kart away knocking over some pylons lining the pit exit and bumping into several of the karts stationed on the grid.

Wow, what a mess. Why do people act that way? Its not like we are at a baseball game. This is supposed to be fun and a family sport. What gives with some people?
Chapter 11

Now the third heat is finished and races are over. So back in the pits for more looking around. After the awards ceremony, announcer says there will be open track until midnight for anyone wanting to. Why dont you just rub salt in my eyes too? Yes I want to, but no I said "No thank you". Sorry Steve, that was "No thank you, sir". All of this was just beating around in my head while staring across the pits at nothing in particular.

I moped around for a little while and find my self over at Mr Cates pits. How convenient. He had been enjoying a conversation with Tex Bell. After they shook hands and Tex left, Mr Cates waved me over. I thought you just might be around after the races. That offer still stands, if you really want to. No pressure mind you.

Are you sure its no trouble? I asked. He assured its no trouble at all. But dont take me up on it if you dont think you are ready. I am more than ready, its just that......Uh, that kart of yours really looks fast. Maybe more than I can handle. He gets a big laugh and clarified something. Son, I offered you a ride on a kart. It would be plain irresponsible of me to put you out on my dual engine rig for your first real time to drive. With all that red face tonight, someone might mistake you for a native Indian.

Wow, that was a big relief. My misunderstanding. But what kart were you talking about? He points a finger to the trailer behind his Studebaker station wagon. That one over there. It is one of the first karts I built about two years ago. A lot of people have enjoyed their first ride on that same one. Its powered by a Clinton A-490. Been really dependable, once I replaced the stock connecting rod with one that was machined from billet stock.

After breaking a few of the stock rods, I decided there had to be something that would work better. Then made some calls and found out Bug Engineering had come out with a nice replacement. So got a hold of Tom on the telephone long distance. He sent me one right away. This particular connecting rod is a good 400 percent stronger than old stock one. By the way, are you following me there? Do you know what I am even talking about? Most kids usually just give me that same blank stare when talking about the goings on of a two cycle motor.

While I had been listening to him intently, was also focused on exactly what he was talking about. Not totally a blank stare. Trying to envision specifically the difference in both parts may have left me expressionless for the moment. I am somewhat familiar with the workings of a two stroke engine, sir. But was just thinking about what the differences are and what might look like comparing the two side by side.

I be darned, that is a most intelligent response from someone your age. I sometimes start rambling on and even loose most adults, when getting past just the makes and models of most engines.

I then ask if the replacement is similar to the E-65 rod, except swapping those needle bearings out with a full floating bushing? Well son, that might just be the hot ticket there. Guess that is one way to do it. Like the Go-Power bushing kit so you can run the Westbend 580 in the same class. Never thought about doing it that way. You might be on to something tho. But the Bug rod is heavier built from aircraft aluminum and utilizes a replaceable insert. Basically like in newer automobiles. Well not really new compared to you. When I was your age, car motors used babbit bushings on the connecting rods. A whole nutter ball game there. And showing my age too. The difference is this rod also uses an insert that is fully machined from a bronze material and retains lubricants extremely well.

Enough shop talk much as I do like to bench race. So do you want to take this kart out? I sort of looked down and was kicking at the ground looking really nervous. If you are sure you dont mind, I would really like to take you up on the offer.

Well get that lead out of your britches and help me unload it from the trailer. At this rate the sun will be coming up soon, he said jokingly of course. For a rigid uptight elderly man, wearing slacks, white collared dress shirt and pocket protector out here, he was no square.