Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Go-Kart ID and Date?

Hi.  We went to look at a 6X12 enclosed trailer for transporting the karts, and stumbled on this cool dead-axle kart in the barn.  The cast steering wheel has the Go-Kart logo, and I promised the gentleman that I'd ask around about the year and model.

He and his brothers had a blast with it, and he's not sure if the next generation is done with it, so it's not necessarily for sale.

I have a few more pics.  We realize that stuff has been welded onto it, and the motor is not original.

BTW, the trailer quest continues...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

gk400 with a ton of added tubes
tk
GEARBOX
Do you know the time frame for the GK400?  Those scrub brakes on the sprocket make me think very early 1960's.
(12-30-2018, 12:26 PM)doug tenney Wrote: Do you know the time frame for the GK400?  Those scrub brakes on the sprocket make me think very early 1960's.

58/59
its the first production kart for go kart
tk
GEARBOX
tom is exactly right except it is later gen go kart 400 
the first gk's had straight axle.
 then a dropped front axle with a w steering wheel outta round rod .
then the iconic cast aluminum wheel that often was replaced in later years.
the gk800 early 3/4" seat tube had the same steering wheel with live axle.

that's a hard to find kart doug.
it has a bunch of farmer brown ad ons that need to go.
but it looks complete as far as original parts are concerned.
 if it is for sale snag it.
d Cool
Dave L.
As far as I remember, the straight axle GK was not called a 400. The late 400's had internal expanding brakes, but I can't remember just when they came along. The smash-on-sprocket brake didn't work on the GK any better than it did on the first gen Bug, though it was actuated in a better manner. Chain oil on primitive non-space chains and scrub-on-sprocket brakes was a combination for disaster. Good leather shoe soles were a must. TJ
ted, i was expecting a correction on that straight axle.
i don't think any of the 400's i found have expanding brakes but now i gotta look i guess.
 can't remember everything.

and yep those sprocket brakes are sorta brakes that might slow ya down.
have the same kind of sprocket brakes on my 59 rupp dead axle.
 i typically used the front tires and shoe leather brakes in emergencies!

d Cool
Dave L.
Big Grin 
Thanks, guys!  I relayed your information to the gentleman, and he was quite surprised that it was that old.  He's a vintage guy himself, but his addiction is Brockway trucks... sort of the other end of the gear-head spectrum... not so easy to store a few of those up against the wall in your basement![Image: biggrin.png]