Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
arrrghhh snowin nov.
stupid snow. Angry

sunday my front brakes locked up on the truck. 
lot going on so i couldn't touch them till yesterday and was trying to beat the snow.
took them apart. 
the rotors were junk
the pads were marginal. 
the frames were rust free and calipers looked good.
got new parts from napa  .
reinstalled the frames and pads took calipers off to work on inside.
went to clean calipers and found the pistons weren't that great. 
decided to replace. 
too late to get them had to wait till today.

this morning my sweetie was feeling bad so i hung out till 11.30 am as she's more important than fixing the truck.
after she felt better i left to get the rest done.
call napa to pick up parts, it turns out the calipers with frames cost exactly the same money at napa as bare rebuilt calipers.
so now i gotta go backwards and take stuff back apart to avoid leaving the core deposit.
meanwhile they were supposed to get the calipers for me.
someone messed up and they weren't there yet they said 5 pm at best so i rolled to the napa store with them. 
was doing good got home and the stupid snow started.

i ignored it nov. snow ain't much.
 oppsie the snow just dumped on us. 
inside 1/2 hour three inches.
was gonna finish anyway need my truck fixed snow be damned.

then the plastic thread plug for second caliper broke and pushed into the caliper.
was trying to hurry figured i'd just blow it out but forgot to bind the pistons.
pop one came clear of seal.
time to stop snow is now 6" deep it was dark and i couldn't figure out how to seat the seal again.
packed up tools grabbed caliper and piled into borrowed car.
drove twenty miles in the little car only took an hour to get home. Rolleyes
had computer now found neat found this neat video on how to reseat caliper.
here ya go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvOpg7hASLs

caliper is back together ready to install.
now i gotta go out and snow blow.
hopefully tomorrow will go better.

arrrrghhhh stupid snow Big Grin

d Cool
Dave L.
Dave, Sorry to hear about your truck issues. And the weather!!!
I live across the Susquehanna river from Harrisburg PA. My wife works downtown, 2.3 miles away from our home. Snow started at 10:00AM. She was dismissed from work and left at 1:00PM and she finally arrived home at 3:20. All of the roads here were gridlocked, closed, or both, all afternoon into this evening. What a mess!!!
When I was growing up in northeast Ohio, I would be asked what I wanted for Christmas.  I always answered, " 80 degrees and sunshine".  Years ago I traded snow and wind chill for hurricanes and snakes (reptiles and supervisors of elections).  You can usually run away from a hurricane.  Fortunately, most of our reptilian snakes want to avoid us almost as much as we want to avoid them.  There was a story on the local news the other day, however, where a dog was bitten by a coral snake and promptly expired.

The snowbirds are pouring in at a pretty high rate.  Your really nasty cold snap will accelerate the trend and should remind you why Bushnell and Barnesville look so good to you hardy northerners.

Smokey
wish i could get back to bushnell or b-ville.
but track days aren't in my future anytime soon.
marjorie needs me more than i need to race.

sadly i haven't even been able to work on anything karting.
i have a how to project i started that's about half finished. 
haven't posted anything because it needs to be a little more complete to be useful.
mostly am trying to ba1ance work time and being there for my sweetie.

in my free time i've been fixing the house where the tree hit it
the house project got extended .

after the tree hit repairs were done i added gable end extensions .
they had to be woven in as the main house is pine tongue and groove.
while i was at it i poured the footing and extended the shed roof porch in the back about 14"
added a cantilevered front porch roof and replaced all the roof sheathing on the addition section of the house.
i framed up and poured a new cap for the chimney the old one had pretty much worn out .
it was done 1950's style without an overhang and drip edge which was wrong headed thinking anyway.
i did all this before the roofer came so no backfits would be needed after the roof was laid.

since i was so deep i also finished the garage roof porch privacy fence installation (i built the new fence two years ago!)
also folded all the return metal for the 2x10 roof edge installed the gravel curb and sealed the edges.
don't love how the tin came out i'd wanted  the roofer do it but he was too busy.
to normal people it looks good but i know it could look better.
i installed the vented ceiling to the overhang too.

still have to finished repair and reinstall of siding soffit returns and gutters.
most is scaffold work up top of gable ends so this snow is causing a big hassle for me!

the good part is most of the work i'm doing is coming out really nice.

d Cool
Dave L.
(11-16-2018, 01:56 PM)David Luciani Wrote: wish i could get back to bushnell or b-ville.
but track days aren't in my future anytime soon.
marjorie needs me more than i need to race.

sadly i haven't even been able to work on anything karting.
i have a how to project i started that's about half finished. 
haven't posted anything because it needs to be a little more complete to be useful.
mostly am trying to ba1ance work time and being there for my sweetie.

in my free time i've been fixing the house where the tree hit it
the house project got extended .

after the tree hit repairs were done i added gable end extensions .
they had to be woven in as the main house is pine tongue and groove.
while i was at it i poured the footing and extended the shed roof porch in the back about 14"
added a cantilevered front porch roof and replaced all the roof sheathing on the addition section of the house.
i framed up and poured a new cap for the chimney the old one had pretty much worn out .
it was done 1950's style without an overhang and drip edge which was wrong headed thinking anyway.
i did all this before the roofer came so no backfits would be needed after the roof was laid.

since i was so deep i also finished the garage roof porch privacy fence installation (i built the new fence two years ago!)
also folded all the return metal for the 2x10 roof edge installed the gravel curb and sealed the edges.
don't love how the tin came out i'd wanted  the roofer do it but he was too busy.
to normal people it looks good but i know it could look better.
i installed the vented ceiling to the overhang too.

still have to finished repair and reinstall of siding soffit returns and gutters.
most is scaffold work up top of gable ends so this snow is causing a big hassle for me!

d Cool

thats prolly a good thing since your life and others are at stake...

ypu doin Key West this year???

gw
    I don't mind snow....

But I do feel for your situation Dave, and hope things improve.
no key west.
when i found out what chemo she was gonna get i knew from experience that it would get ugly.
so we cancelled reservations and so forth.

the first part of treatment for my sweetie went well.
so well she was getting a little cocky about sailing through this mess.
she has gone to work almost as much as normal.
that has made her a terrible patient.

the second part i knew would be way worse and so far it has been.
monday , after getting the red chemo (really bad stuff it nearly killed me) she got wiped out for a couple of days .
then she felt better yesterday.
so against my advise marjorie went to work.

the thing is with chemo there will be days when you wake up and feel nearly normal.
if you are ever that sick you'll know how depressing it is to lie helpless in the bed.
so since you feel better you decide it's fine to act and live normally.
but you'll find out quick that things like driving exhaust you.

i warned marjorie about that but she's over 21.
she went to work "just for a couple of hours" .
 she came home and basically collapsed in the chair.
i got her fed and she went to sleep two hours early.

today she felt better again and in the morning wanted to go grocery shopping.
i dis agreed and before she knew it i swiped her car and went myself.
by doing that she had to stay home and rest. Big Grin

anyway it's gonna be a while before i can do much of anything but baby sit my sweetie
d Cool
Dave L.