Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for information
Looking to see if anyone has any information about this kart. All information or leads to articles is much appreciated. It had a Mercury 2 cylinder and was believed to be a factory team kart for Rupp.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Certainly looks like something the factory design engineers would put together. Nice piece. TJ
Scott Elkes has a potential lead on the kart, in the 1960 GKCA Regionals at Dart Kart Speedway Rupp entered a kart in Super C with the engine listed as Rupp Experimental.

Brian , If that is a Super K frame then the 1960 entry makes since.
Ya gotta love that roster! Konigs, Anzanis, Villiers, Balco Specials, Rupp Specials and all the PP-82's and West Bend 700's you could ever want. And the kicker-Garner Berlt. I don't think I ever saw Pete referred to by his first name in all these years! Too bad the C Class dwindled so much over the next few years. I remember a couple of ladies, I think maybe the Nutt sisters, having a C Class dual PP-82 with a center mounted third rear wheel at the GKCA Nationals. It inspired me to put a center wheel on my Go Kart 1200 dual Mc30 kart. Does anyone know anything about the Balco Specials? I seem to remember them looking a whole lot like 700 Benders. Ted
(09-05-2018, 09:57 AM)Chris Marchand Wrote: Brian , If that is a Super K frame then the 1960 entry makes since.

Chris, 

I looked at additional photos of the kart placed on Facebook. The engine swing mounts look like the narrow versions of the Rupp swing mounts introduced in 1961. The kart is 1961 model year or older. The side tube rails appear to never have had holes drilled for the featherlite pedals; tubes welded on front axle at one o'clock position to accept pedals. The 1962 Darts had tubes had placed foward of the front axle at the three o'clock position.

The kart has a riveted floor pan similar for the future Grand Prix karts, incorporated to the production process early 1962 for the 1963 model year Grand Prix production.

The kart seemed to be a good example of what future things were to come from Rupp. Super K or new 1961 model year A-Bone with developement production that would have started in 1960 back in those days.
Not a Super K. They didn't have the lightning holes in the rear axle bearing hangers and the seat back was 3" shorter. They also had Hands wheels, not Go Powers.