Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gasoline...what kind??
Gentlemen
I'm in the process of restoring a 61 Fox kart and I'm going to run a West Bend engine.
As I am new to the kart world I will start by running Gas in my engine until I get enough laps in to know how to drive my kart with some confidence.
My question is, what gas are guys running? I have a station close by that sells corn free fuel but the octane is very low. Thought about stopping by the local air field and get some avgas or the local speed shop sells VP fuel.
Looking for some direction here.
Thanks
Kerry
alky free gas great. 
don't forget oil mix around one gallon gas to 8+ ounces of good racing mix recommended
high octane in two stroke not really a good thing.
what octane does your station sell?
d Cool
Dave L.
I run aviation gasoline that I get at the local airport. I agree with Dave that high octane is, at best, not necessary and, at worst, not good for the engine. So far though, I haven't seen any ill effects. If I had ethanol-free 91 octane available locally I'd be using it.

Oh yeah, and 8 oz. per gallon of Klotz Super Techniplate.
I agree. I tried some high octane race gas at Avon during practice, and was unable to make my MC90 run right, no matter what. It was undrivable that entire afternoon. The next day I switched back to 90 octane ethanol free (14:1 Super Techniplate) and the tune dialed in very quickly. Plug readings were chocolate brown. Lesson learned. Glad I didn't break anything. My engine is stock: Results for highly modified engines might vary.
This is all good news. At $4.00 a gallon I can almost afford to run it. Hahaha
on av gas i have an update from a good friend.
it seems they rate their octane different from automobile gas so some av gas is ok.
so to be clear the main idea on any gasoline is that the low octane gas works better in two strokes.
don't remember why that's not important to me.
d Cool
Dave L.
I run regular or mid grade unleaded. drain the gas after every use and never had an issue.