Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear axles
Who is supplying the best 1" stepped down rear axles with the 2" long ends? I've decided to go with a steel axle instead of the aluminum I have in the kart. Thanks. Ted
I've most often read recommendations for Azusa Flexpruf axles. I got mine from OMB Warehouse out here in PA. I looked up the correct part number on Azusa's site first and searched OMB for that number, to be sure that I was ordering the correct one. Between the standard alloy and "Flexpruf" variants, multiplied by all the different lengths and steps, it can get pretty confusing to sort through the distributor's descriptions.
Kurt, I've had "spotty" luck with Azusa axles. The one in my Photon is pretty straight, but the one I had originally bought for the Van Tech was bent. I ended up having one machined. I'd prefer one that I know is top quality. Thanks. Ted
(08-02-2018, 08:04 PM)ted johnson Wrote: Kurt, I've had "spotty" luck with Azusa axles. The one in my Photon is pretty straight, but the one I had originally bought for the Van Tech was bent. I ended up having one machined. I'd prefer one that I know is top quality. Thanks. Ted

Don Axe makes all my axles, top notch made to my specs for a very reasonable price. Alum and Steel
I know he has been ill in the past months so maybe he is not making stuff right now.
Anyone know how don is doing?
Scott
(08-02-2018, 08:04 PM)ted johnson Wrote: Kurt, I've had "spotty" luck with Azusa axles. The one in my Photon is pretty straight, but the one I had originally bought for the Van Tech was bent. I ended up having one machined. I'd prefer one that I know is top quality. Thanks. Ted

I admit, I've heard that, too. Guess I lucked out and got a decent one. Of course, luck can be spotty, too, LOL.
(08-02-2018, 09:11 PM)Scott Kneisel Wrote:
(08-02-2018, 08:04 PM)ted johnson Wrote: Kurt, I've had "spotty" luck with Azusa axles. The one in my Photon is pretty straight, but the one I had originally bought for the Van Tech was bent. I ended up having one machined. I'd prefer one that I know is top quality. Thanks. Ted

Don Axe makes all my axles, top notch made to my specs for a very reasonable price. Alum and Steel
I know he has been ill in the past months so maybe he is not making stuff right now.
Anyone know how don is doing?
Scott
Scott...

Don is back on the road again,,,he says he hasn't felt this good in many years,,,but is going thru rehab so I don't know what his working abilities are at this point.....

one of the nicest guys in Karting, both Vintage and Modern Dirt...

and makes some killer axles to any spec you want,,even undersized ...LONG STORY...LOL...first one he made for me,,,he said he grabbed stock off the shelf,,,went thru all the work   shipped it to me,,,I get it and try to installed 1 in bearings...and they fall off....any how, axle was .095 instead of 1 inch...we both laugh our butts off every time I order an axle from him now..

gw
Thanks. Can anyone PM me his contact? I don't see it in the member's list. I can email a PDF. I was having Jack Canady make my axles when he was feeling up to it, so I created a CAD model and drawing. Ted
Hey, Scott and Gary. I just got off the phone with Don Axe. Super nice guy. He's going to cut me an axle. I appreciate the pointer! Thanks. Ted
I bought one of the flex proof axles and it was bent. Took it to comet kart sales and they straightened it out to .005.

Brad
Yes, Brad. I had a machine shop in Albuquerque do one for me, but there's nobody near here I would trust. Don Axe will make me a good one of TG&P stock. Ted