Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opening up a can of worms? Probably.
I have been discussing with my father about what may happen after parts for engines such as Mccullochs or other engine that is not being produced any longer. I know parts are still rather readily available, but am just thinking ahead many years. He suggested the casting process of Stereolithography (3D printing using a laser to precisely print parts in a burnout material and then casting in some metal would be the process) to re-create parts with tolerances that are acceptable. Parts like a block could be made and then a liner put in place.

Do you think it would be a feasible idea in the short term until a more mass production process is put in place if at all?

Don’t want to really stir the pot or hurt feelings, but rather think of a different way to keep us on the track for longer.

Thanks,

Vico
Blocks seem to still be in good supply. Cranks are the real problem. Engines are still out there in good numbers. I keep hearing of people with 100 to 200 engines that aren't letting any go. I'm not sure what they are waiting for but even if you run most of the events we aren't losing many engines unless you are doing something really wrong.
I agree. I think as long as an engine is tuned well it can last a while. This is the second year my Mc-8 has ran and has done so pretty reliably other than the welch plug coming out.
Years ago, Dave Luciani and I talked about my Pro/Engineer modeling a '91 block to get cast. We decided back then that, since the need for blocks is likely to decline over the next few years, and since there are still plenty of them lurking in basements and shops, that doing this isn't feasible economically. I agree with Steve. Getting cranks is a greater need. The cost of forging cranks would be terrific. Let's concentrate on getting someone to make us a really sound 260-280KSI tensile rod screw, in lengths for West Bends. They may then be shortened .150 for Mac use. Chuck Giacobbe and others still have a good number of 101 rod bolts. Remember, that there were thousands of pre-'91 Macs built. These engines can be 9-ported so that they will run very nearly as fast as a '91. From what I've seen, the average modern karter isn't even slightly interested in vintage karting, so the number of vintage participants is not likely to grow much past what it is now. I think we're O.K. on blocks. Part of the fun of vintage is in the detective work we put in to find fresh parts. TJ
blocks are the least thing to worry on right now.
several new ideas are making damaged blocks reusable. 
one is epoxying the liner where it was needled. that idea was presented about ten years ago and my newest information is it works.
more on that when i get more time later in month after this theatre run.
the second idea new to me is to relined the block with aluminum cylinder lining cut in ports and have it nikilsiled.
a VERY interesting idea swiped from  the racing quad guys.
i will really want to be talking about that too.

the cranks is our weak link and i hear rumbles of possibly small run production but still rumors.
the repop rods supposedly have been reworked so they don't need strong bolts.
expensive but a solution.
can't go further now gotta get back to theatre and traffic is mess.
later
D Cool
Dave L.
Well, today at Quincy I created one less crankshaft to use. Had fun and got a 91B/1.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

put good rod bolts in the new one bud
tk
GEARBOX
Hey, Tom. Where CAN we get good rod bolts? The supply of 101 bolts is dwindling, and aside from Chuck Giacobbe, the guys are hoarding them. Also, the spline Mac bolts don't help us West Bend guys at all. TJ
It’s what I get for not replacing the rod bolts often. I got the new one from Sonny. It’s modified. I think someone said butterfly ports.