Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Avon 2018 In the Books
A big thanks to Scott, Sam, and Al for putting on another great event. We had a great time and look forward to next year. Friday, the kart show had a record 78 entries and a long day of practice. Saturday had a couple practice sessions followed by qualifying and then heats. The Northeast Vintage Kart Promoters Cup Series was in attendance. Overall a nice event with no problems.
Lora and I would like to thank Scott, Sam,Al and crew as well. We had a ball and more laps than we could run. She even got a blister on her hand. Weather turned out great after thurs. being quite warm. Great great kart show Fri night. Thanks again guys See everyone next year. John
You are very kind Brian,
Thank you and your Fam for coming as always.
(07-28-2018, 08:05 PM)Brian Santee Wrote: A big thanks to Scott, Sam, and Al for putting on another great event. We had a great time and look forward to next year. Friday, the kart show had a record 78 entries and a long day of practice. Saturday had a couple practice sessions followed by qualifying and then heats. The Northeast Vintage Kart Promoters Cup Series was in attendance. Overall a nice event with no problems.

Scott always puts on a great event...much thanks to Scott, Sam, Al and crew......

Brian...you and your Family are a great asset to the Vintage Karting community.....

Gary
Where do I start?  I got there Thursday morning with the intent of just dropping my trailer off, take a quick run on my two karts just to make sure they run OK, then go back home.  I ended up staying all day and running a ton of laps!  Friday I planned on running a lot, and I did just that.  The show Friday night was awesome, just like it always is.  It just blows my mind at the craftsmanship you guys put into your karts.  I wish I had that much patience!  And I will cherish my "Best Four Stroke" plaque for years!  LOL!  Thanks a lot guys!  Saturday there was some fast, fast karts on track and heads-up driving by everyone.  Way to go!  Unfortunately, I had a commitment Saturday evening so I couldn't stay until the end.  I hated to leave!

Me being a glutton for punishment  - or maybe just plain stupid - came back again and raced my modern kart on Sunday, a Top Kart/Animal combo.  Then after completing our races with those we broke out our vintage karts one more time and gave the club members one final demo with those.  It's too bad we couldn't carry the vintage event over into Sunday so that all you vintage guys could get to meet the GVKC regulars, they're a really great bunch of people.

Overall this weekend was 100% pure FUN!  I'm also 100% completely WHIPPED today!

Thanks to everyone involved.  No matter what your part was, big or small, you made a difference.  THANK YOU!
After all of my worrying over weather, this weekend at Avon couldn't have been more perfect! Natalie and I had a great time!

The event ran smoothly. We have Scott K., Sam P., Rick K, Al P., the facility staff, and the hard work of many others to thank for that. Sam P really grabbed our attention at the driver's meeting and let us know, in no uncertain terms, what kind of behavior he expected to see on the track, an what would not be tolerated. Likewise, I was also impressed by the flagman's diplomacy, occasionally holding the rolled up black flag in his right hand as a not so subtle cue regarding his willingness to let it unfurl.

I was pleased to find myself pitted between the Santees and the Hunter's. I had met Paul and Ginny Hunter at Nicholson, and the Santees at Avon last month. With Mrs. Santee on one side and Ginny on the other, some interest in driving a kart had to rub off on Natalie. At the very least, there was ample opportunity for conversation, and Nat was very happy to sit back with her needle point and observe the spectacle of the event. Paul and I have kept in touch since we met at Nicholson, and it was fun to be pitted beside each other again. Ginny was really excited, just glowing, when she found the opportunity to run her little West Bend during practice with similar karts and did not have to worry if she'd get run down by a severely twisted Mac.

I found myself to be far more comfortable with the flow of the event. My first experience at Nicholson was amazing and fun, but I was extremely stressed out trying to get a grip on the schedule and flow of practices and heats. Maybe stuff was a little better organized at Avon (I know the track layout, at least, is more convenient), or maybe, gaving gotten my feet wet in MD, I was able to dive in more confidently this time? Likely a bit of both.

Having just become active in vintage karting this summer, I really enjoyed getting to meet some new folks and getting to know some others better. In particular, I enjoyed some great conversations with John Wolkiewicz, Richie Engle, Bruce Ristow, Bill Peck and Mike Schlager, Lumpy, Tom ? (sorry... can't remember them all). Jim Donovan took the time to give me a hands-on lesson in MaxTorque spring replacement. There were, of course, many more interactions than there is time to describe. Thanks again to everyone who made the weekend awesome!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

My son Alex and I had a great time!  Thanks again Scott & Sam.  Already looking forward to next year.

Kurt, I always try to put faces to names... so now I'm going to be wracking my brain, since I now realize I must've walked past you a 1000 times without making the connection.

We were pitted a short putt away, directly across from the winner's podiums or whatever they're called.
Doug,
We'll have to be sure to correct this oversight at the first available opportunity!