Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SAFETY
I stumbled over this today, and while it is a couple of years old, you guys might find it interesting reading.....

This was sent in a PM to the event director following an event.

Note that no names are mentioned.......

Thanks.....

[i]Another great event. Your service to the members is very greatly appreciated.

Food for thought.......

Number 1.:

Not as a criticism, as volunteers in every organization are often treated like employees by the members. I noted that in the second heat for group 4, dual-sidewinder/dual-year, NONE of the dual rears drivers participated. I believe that this was due to the hugely bad behavior of the dual-sidewinder drivers during the first heat taking the shortcut to bypass the esses in the back of the track so they would not have to take actual time to get around the dual rears they were catching.

They put everyone else at risk, and one of them spun in front of me in his excited hurry and almost got t-boned by me. He clearly was not an experienced racer, and is lucky that I am.

It is a shame that their bad behavior, besides being dangerous, ended up effectively penalizing others - rather than themselves.

I wonder if they could not have, as a group, been black-flagged for the day. It would certainly have been an appropriate penalty - and would have sent the right message.

Number 2.:

Xxx and his twin Yamaha very nearly caused me great injury. It happened in a flash, and I'm guessing that it was only my miraculously quick reflexes (developed over the last 19 consecutive years of racing at Blue Max?) that I danced over his front axle, landed on my feet and then extracted my right foot/leg from his churning right rear wheel.

Two thoughts in this regard.

First is that "experimental" karts like his may need greater scrutiny during tech. This MIGHT (only might) have caught his use of nylon wire ties to secure his carbs.

Second is that it might be a good idea to share the incident with the membership in the next newsletter, and remind everyone that a running kart can get away for a variety of reasons, and that standing in front of a running kart is probably not ever a good idea, even if it rolls up to where you were already standing. We should all instinctively recognize the potential danger, and at least step out of the line of fire - and reach out and pull others out of the line of fire as well.

Safety.

Safety.

Safety.

My very best regards,

Jim Waltz
[/i]
Jim Waltz, West Sacramento, CA
Most of what the kids I knew when I was young knew about "safety" was that, if you farted, you had to yell "SAFETY!", or the other kids got to hit you on the arm. Tongue 
P.S. I looked it up on Google, and it was part of a "game" called "doorknob". Ted
That kind of behavior is why I am backing down to attending TBO and an occasional play day.
Terry, you're certainly welcome to join us out here in Tucson in November! Jimmy, too. No "cowboying", no racing, and some fine BBQ! Best track you've seen in a while, too. Ted
(06-29-2018, 06:39 PM)Terry Sullivan Wrote: That kind of behavior is why I am backing down to attending TBO and an occasional play day.

gee   ,,,wonder who it was that had a bad accident a few years ago, ,,gee and at what event was that?????

gw
gary's point is well taken.
 accidents can happen anywhere at any time at any speed. 

my advise is the same as always, check the insurance the promoters provide before you attend as a precaution.
some promoters/tracks might well be cheating on that insurance and it's best to know before , not when , you need insurance.
as per usual buyer beware.

but we digress,
i think jim's point is senseless risk taking just because it's easier or you can "get away with it" ius NOT appriciated by other drivers.
often these drivers will get fed up and vote with their feet if the promoter doesn't try to stop bad track behavior..
enough said.
d Cool
Dave L.
Missing my point GW.
My accident was low speed driver error.
As opposed to high speed driver stupidity.

And no, my trailer is not for sale. Smile

t
(07-01-2018, 10:56 AM)Terry Sullivan Wrote: Missing my point GW.

t

but but,,,I want the trailer.....man that went on way to long...LOL

no, I got yer point,,,but i was just stating things can happen at any speed...and at least the VKA tracks have insurance, unlike one of the others...

and most of things we see happen are driver error, either mental or physical, mostly mental..(that is my kind way of sayin (Dumb A**ed judgement)

and again there are to many of these guys trying to win that National Championship they never won in the 70s -80s...the MADNESS will end...

so if I can't have your trailer,,maybe I'll just take the trailers spot...LOL

enjoy Vintage Karting wherever you go....

gw
(07-01-2018, 11:07 AM)Gary Wlodarsky Wrote:
(07-01-2018, 10:56 AM)Terry Sullivan Wrote: Missing my point GW.

t

but but,,,I want the trailer.....man that went on way to long...LOL

no, I got yer point,,,but i was just stating things can happen at any speed...and at least the VKA tracks have insurance, unlike one of the others...

and most of things we see happen are driver error, either mental or physical, mostly mental..(that is my kind way of sayin (Dumb A**ed  judgement)

and again there are to many of these guys trying to win that National Championship they never won in the 70s -80s...the MADNESS will end...

so if I can't have your trailer,,maybe I'll just take the trailers spot...LOL

enjoy Vintage Karting wherever you go....

gw

Bob told me somebody asked about it right after I posted here.
I had a feeling it might be some fine gentleman from Ohio.

t
I replied to this post when it was first spread around the internet and I will again.
I was driving a dual sidewinder in the heat described and I DID NOT take any shortcuts so I fail to see any reason that I should be "black flagged" or parked for the day or subject to any other "group" penalty based on the type of equipment I was driving. I was leading the race so I can't say how many drivers took the detour but I believe it was only two and there were several more dual sidewinder entries besides me that did not do anything wrong.

I'm all for penalizing the perpetrators of bad behavior but I disagree with penalizing a whole group based on the class of kart they drive. Ironically, at the same event one of the race officials did the same thing while driving a dual rear class kart so using the logic of the original post we should call for all race officials to be shut down because one of them took the shortcut and also all rear engine kart drivers because the guilty race official was driving a rear engine kart! 

The guilty guys were reprimanded and did not do it again so it seems the enforcement system worked without going to extreme measures.
Steve O'Hara