Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Over 60 class structure
At New Castle there was a poll going around for the 60 and over class allowing Yamaha limited package to be included in this class. I think this is a great idea if it is brought into this class to help growth. If it is initially scored separately to see how it works then I feel as a participant in this class it would be great. I also proposed that this class be allowed to run L&T or Horstman disc clutches like the 6.1 American class does. If one chooses to, the Hartmans can still be ran but I can tell you from the people I have talked to that run this class, it would be very well received. The Hartman stuff is getting very hard to maintain and find, and, is a constant point of contention that I have seen people shy away from this class due to it. I hope the VKA board will listen and help us grow this class back into the participation it had 5 years ago when I started back in vintage.
Ken Wooldridge VKA member #784
Yep, here we go, right back to the mid seventies. Bye, bye McCullochs! Again! Ted
(06-22-2018, 10:50 AM)ted johnson Wrote: Yep, here we go, right back to the mid seventies. Bye, bye McCullochs! Again! Ted

Disagree, we need to get more involvement and not worry so much about what engine. Mac's will never go away and I am one of the guys that run them.
Believe me, the Yammies will eventually kill the Macs, just as they did in the olden days. I was there. Thank God I only ran open classes, but I watched my Mac friends "retire" one by one. They also killed the very promising Chrysler/Libberton boost port 610's that had been designed to compete in Reed Light and Heavy. They just stopped building them after about 300 units. This doesn't directly affect me, I run open 610's, but I hate to see vintage dominated by Yamahas. TJ
I guess I am confused , I thought the VKA rules ran the Yamaha deal (sidewinders ) separate from the Rears ( Macs) in all classes ?
The problem is lack of people to fill all the classes. We don't need a Yamaha in every class. Leave some of these classes alone. I don't run over 60 but it's because of the mixed chassis and the different driving techniques involved. I like to drive rear karts. Put a Yamaha in there and be guaranteed I'll never enter one. I spent all the money I intend to spend in Vintage karting and they are all Fan Cooled.
yammies in the over 60 class kinda kills the original vibe.
if there's that many over 60 guys that want to run yammies it'll happen whether we like it or not.
i personally don't like it.
btw those polls never reached me i suppose not being a current member paid up effects that .

don't like sneaking in disk clutches much either.
the excuse hartmans are getting hard to build doesn't hold well with me.
the max torque modern vintage center fits right into the bell and drums are re-geared all the time.
and i'm told they are as good or better than the original.

my two cents
#277 vka
d Cool
Dave L.
(06-22-2018, 09:46 PM)David Luciani Wrote: yammies in the over 60 class kinda kills the original vibe.
if there's that many over 60 guys that want to run yammies it'll happen whether we like it or not.
i personally don't like it.
btw those polls never reached me i suppose not being a current member paid up effects that .

don't like sneaking in disk clutches much either.
the excuse hartmans are getting hard to build doesn't hold well with me.
the max torque modern vintage center fits right into the bell and drums are re-geared all the time.
and i'm told they are as good or better than the original.

my two cents
#277 vka
d Cool
David,,,

no disrespect, don't sign it VKA #277 when you haven't been a VKA member in years,,,just sayin...

gw
I don't agree with the over 60's Yamaha. 1. The events I have attended seem to have have trouble finding karts to run in the different classes. 2. The largest classes seems to be rears and Yamaha's. 3. Most of us that are over 60 run any class
we have a kart for anyway regardless of age anyway so why allow the mix?
Tom you are pretty much correct. Make a change and you have people leave one class and go to another but you still have the same people. They just moved. So until we find another 30 people for all the events except for a couple exceptions, the problem of people in classes will just remain the same. 4.3 people per class. Cut classes = lose people. At best many classes get combined so there is pretty much always some one to run with. By the way Shawn and I will be leaving Mac 49 and Sportsman rear to leave the class for less experienced drivers or engines with less development, until people come back into those classes. For the remainder of the year we will probably be running C open rear with the Nagals. Or until everything is broken.