Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
L&T clutch
Someone talk to me about L&T clutch for a mac 101 on a sidewinder. Good or bad? one disk, two or three? You guys have more experience with disc clutches than I do and the Horstman is getting to hard to find and get parts for.
The L&T is a great clutch for a 101. The three disc is the most durable but a two is a little faster. For a 101 you will want to find a 10 tooth #35 chain drum and you will want to change out the springs to a lighter (smaller wire diameter) version. With the standard springs typical of the clutches used on KT100s you won't be able to set the engagement any lower than about 9,500 and that is too high for the 101. With the softer springs the range of adjustment will move down the rpm band so you can set the clutch to engage in the low 8K range.
A realistic evaluation of the skill of the driver is the best way to decide on what version to buy. Basically, the faster the driver, the easier it is on the clutch. If the driver is slow through the corners then the clutch will have to work harder (longer) pulling off each corner and the heat builds up. With more discs there is more material to spread out the heat so the three disc is better unless the driver is quick ( and light). The three disc is the most common so you should not have much trouble finding one.
Steve O'Hara
(05-30-2018, 02:41 AM)steveoharaSteve Thanks for the assist on this. As always you are a wealth of information and now I know what I need to do. Im at the point that I need to make the change to the L&T due to  parts availability. The L&T is a big money item but trying to find a good Horstman and parts for it is a chore anymore. Thanks again. Wrote: The L&T is a great clutch for a 101. The three disc is the most durable but a two is a little faster. For a 101 you will want to find a 10 tooth #35 chain drum and you will want to change out the springs to a lighter (smaller wire diameter) version. With the standard springs typical of the clutches used on KT100s you won't be able to set the engagement any lower than about 9,500 and that is too high for the 101. With the softer springs the range of adjustment will move down the rpm band so you can set the clutch to engage in the low 8K range.
A realistic evaluation of the skill of the driver is the best way to decide on what version to buy. Basically, the faster the driver, the easier it is on the clutch. If the driver is slow through the corners then the clutch will have to work harder (longer) pulling off each corner and the heat builds up. With more discs there is more material to spread out the heat so the three disc is better unless the driver is quick ( and light). The three disc is the most common so you should not have much trouble finding one.
Steve O'Hara
Steve you said in your post "the lighter springs". are you talking about a set from a different clutch? I ask because looking at the L&T website they don't show a lighter spring just springs from different clutches.
Tom,

You may have to find a spring supply company and source out some lighter springs as I doubt the current owners L&T will have what you need.
Here is a source that might have what you need...
http://www.leespring.com/browse_catalog....r=354&1=Go

You will want to look for springs with the same OD and free length as the standard springs but a wire diameter that is smaller by around .010. If you go that route you may want to order a couple sets, one being .010 smaller wire and another .015" smaller wire.
There are many materials available and I don't know what the properties are of the different materials so you might want to contact the supplier and seek some guidance by telling them what they will be used for and that they will be exposed to plenty of heat. I suspect some materials can take a lot more heat than other before they anneal and lose their shape.
Steve O'Hara

Tom,

You may have to find a spring supply company and source out some lighter springs as I doubt the current owners L&T will have what you need.
Here is a source that might have what you need...
http://www.leespring.com/browse_catalog....r=354&1=Go

You will want to look for springs with the same OD and free length as the standard springs but a wire diameter that is smaller by around .010. If you go that route you may want to order a couple sets, one being .010 smaller wire and another .015" smaller wire.
There are many materials available and I don't know what the properties are of the different materials so you might want to contact the supplier and seek some guidance by telling them what they will be used for and that they will be exposed to plenty of heat. I suspect some materials can take a lot more heat than other before they anneal and lose their shape.
Steve O'Hara