Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with fading brakes with drum bendix brake
This is a real issue, but will be MUCH worse if you're running one of Azusa's current Bendix "look-alike" brakes, or even just the Azusa drum. I had a "real" Bendix with NOS Bendix drum and shoes on the n1ke, and it faded badly at the Tucson track. We used to use the Bendix back in the old days with good success. I kept wondering why, and came to the conclusion that, of course, we ran direct drive back then, and had excellent engine braking. I tried one of Terry's steel finned drums, but it did not help at all. I believe the large volume of steel in the finned drum retained heat, causing even more fade. I gave up and switched to the Wilwood kart caliper, MCP 875EP master cylinder, MCP712 disc, and MCP disc hub. I CAD modeled a mount plate that mounts the caliper and master using the axle bearing flangette bolts. Issue disappeared. Brake is positive, smooth and easy to bleed. When I designed my new Photon kart, I set it up from the get-go for the MCP/Wilwood brake system. Ted

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Help with fading brakes with drum bendix brake - by ted johnson - 05-15-2018, 07:31 PM