Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
101 rod bolt socket
I need a socket (bristoI I think) for the 101rod bolts.would like to borrow or purchase. Can put a deposit down.would only need for a couple days.
Thanks got something that will work.
notice anything regarding the socket this guy's been selling on ebay?
I mean besides the 3 digit price currently.
The McCulloch provided sockets had numbers stamped into it, but thats not what I looking for
regarding the question I pose.
see it here;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Mcculloch-...1438.l2649
It appears to me to be a female torx, right? Rounded splines instead of squared.

And, OMG, that bid!

Mac rod bolt socket and generic female Torx socket:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Kurt, are the photos you provided actual photos you took of your sockets or are they stock or file photos from the internet? I ask because I’m curious to know if the Mac socket in the photo has anything stamped on it and also curious to know of the female torx (E-Torx) size and/or what appears to be stamped on it.

To anyone else that might know or could speculate..... I have an E-Torx socket set I use on my car and I was curious to see one day if one of the sockets would fit on the spline bolts of my MC101AA. I can say that the E8 size was too small and the E10 size was too big. The set does not include an E9 size socket and from what I gathered in looking for one on the internet and with a couple tool suppliers, they don’t make an E9. I’m not sure if that’s true or not, but I can’t find one...

So my question is, if the implication is that the eBay item is a female torx (E-Torx) then what size is it in that it fits the Mac spline bolts? I found that Snap-On sells a socket called “E-Torx Plus” but I couldn’t find what the “Plus” designation means. It does, however, appear to have more square or angular features as compared to the more rounded star pattern of a “regular” E-Torx socket.

Thanks in advance for any help or clarification.
Vince,

Yes, the photos are my own, but I think that you may have misunderstood my intentions. I put the photos up to compare the construction of the various sockets, in order to clarify my response to Mark's comment. Yes, there are markings on the pictured McCulloch socket: "1620-09". I picked a torx socket for the photo that was similar in size, but I don't have a spare rod bolt of the 101 style to test the fit. More importantly, a torx socket is not the specified tool for the 101 fastener. If the socket that is delivered to the winning bidder is not correct, that will be an issue to be worked out by the buyer and seller.
(05-31-2018, 05:39 PM)Kurt Bogerman Wrote: Vince,  

Yes, the photos are my own, but I think that you may have misunderstood my intentions.  I put the photos up to compare the construction of the various sockets, in order to clarify my response to Mark's comment.  Yes, there are markings on the pictured McCulloch socket:  "1620-09".  I picked a torx socket for the photo that was similar in size, but I don't have a spare rod bolt of the 101 style to test the fit.  More importantly, a torx socket is not the specified tool for the 101 fastener.  If the socket that is delivered to the winning bidder is not correct, that will be an issue to be worked out by the buyer and seller.
Kurt,

Thank you for your reply. I apologize if my reply and the questions I asked seemed slanted in any way, I certainly wasn't questioning your or anyone else's opinion or intentions. I actually appreciate them very much as they help me learn more. In fact, the reason why I asked if they were indeed your photos was because I was hoping to learn more about the Mac spline socket if you had one. And to the information you kindly shared above, I say thank you.

I was curious to know of and confirm the numbers stamped on the spline socket as several years ago someone posted the same numbers and suggested the socket could be purchased from the Allen Wrench Company. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find one and, as a result, the 101AA I mentioned has been sitting on a shelf in my garage. I read in a different post that there was a gal who sold the "L" shaped mac spline wrench and guys would cut the end off and weld it to a socket in order to use it with a torque wrench. If you don't mind my asking, where di you acquire the Mac Spline socket you have? I'm still looking for one. Thanks again for sharing...
Vince,

I surely took no offense, and I really hope that I didn't offend you or anyone else.

I acquired my socket as well as one set of the splined bolts (in my MC 90 currently) on eBay, probably ten years or more ago, when a woman there was liquidating a g0ld mine of old McCulloch inventory that had somehow become hers to sell. Apparently there were some very serious bumps in the road with regards to her early performance as a seller (her own account of herself is out there to be found in the VKA and/or REAR forums, if you are sleuthy), but, by the time I had discovered her, everything was going very smoothly. She had lots and lots (literally) of parts and accessories, which, by current standards, usually sold dirt cheap. It's absolutely amazing to see how the prices and availability of such items have exploded and contracted, respectively.

As far as obtaining your own socket now is concerned, all I can say is keep looking. Maybe post a want ad and directly ask for the would-be seller to private message you.

Another option might be to get the splined bolts out, by whatever means necessary, short of damaging the rod or crank, and then modify a US Motors 820 bolt (shorten it), but I've not yet done any of that myself. Perhaps the more experienced karters will chime in? There's suddenly a new supply of those high strength bolts available, thanks to the efforts of those elder karters in our midst. I know the information is already out there on this forum, on the VKA forum, and on the REAR forum if you're diligent and creative with your search terms. As I find the time, I will PM you when I think of anything else.
Good Night, and Best Regards!
Steve Welte has reported some problems relating to installing the new K Precision Motorsports West Bend rod screws. These are the new screws that US Motor Power sells. We shall see how K Precision Motorsports, who makes these new screws, responds to the issues. Ted
Jeff K. at K precision Motorsports has already responded to Steve's issues, and is sending replacements Steve's way. Remember that you must shorten the West Bend screws to the length needed for your Mac. Ted