Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
front bumper specs
I've decided to bend up a front bumper for my GK 800, like the later 800s, 808, and 1200 had. I like the look of the bumper and it seems like a good safety addition to protect the feet a bit. I actually think mine might have had one to begin with but it got chopped off after a crash. The front end was pretty well tweaked and hacked up by a farmer with a torch and stick welder. Another clue that it might be a later model is the paint under the black rattle can was metallic, which was not used on the early models. 

I know it might be a bit fussy to get the bends just right with the lower legs being off-plane and not 90. Does anyone know the radius used for the front bumper bends? There are the two lower legs which are like 85 degrees to match the taper of the frame rails and there is the center upward "tooth" bend I'm calling it. Thanks. -Rick
I can't imagine finding anyone who worked at Go Kart in '61-'62 and who would remember what bend shoe was used. I'd shoot for a smaller radius, like 2.50" or 3". Remember that some benders just can't get in there to do that bumper. I'd also use mild steel tubing instead of chrome moly. Vince Hughes had some bent up a long time back. I have one from Vince on my n1ke kart, and, if memory serves, Pruit Ginsberg got the last of Vince's units for his 800. You might get in touch with Vince. TJ
mild steel for sure.
far as i knew all the 800's had bumper but i may be mistaken.
perhaps enzo will mention the radiuses or send me the info so i can post it.

D Cool
Dave L.
Dave, the bumper didn't come on the 800 until later in '61, when the Bendix brake showed up along with several other changes. Here's an earlier 800. Posi-Stop brake, steel wheels, cast aluminum steering wheel, no bumper. The earlier ones yet had the 3/4" tall seat hoop. Some of the ones like in the ad also had the 3/4" tube seat hoop, but they'd changed to the 1" hoop by the time we took over the dealership. As you can see, this ad was early '61, but photo was probably taken late '60. Note the Mc5 and steel sprocket. Ted

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

another image for reference.....

And another - page 16 from the 1960 Go Kart catalog.

picture of a 1961 team 800 (from Jack Murray)

One of us could probably measure the angles for you.  I still have my buddy Tim's late '61 in my storage unit.

Jim Waltz, West Sacramento, CA
yep,
 i was brain dead that night ted.
i actually know better i own an embarrassing number of gk karts both with and without bumpers.
i must be getting feeble minded . Confused
Dave L.
There was a time from early '60 to mid '61, when Go Kart went through a bunch of rapid changes. Some of the karts are pretty rare. Bug did the same thing, just a little earlier, like the first Wasps with the wide rear frame loop in '59. TJ
I have 3 left over bumpers that could work or they might need to be lengthened slightly. One will just fit in a USPS Priority Mail medium flat rate box.

Wow! Thanks for all the replies guys! I was outta town all weekend and didn't see this stuff until this morning. Tom- I'd love to take you up on the offer. I'll PM you and we can sort out details. I've got a neighbor with a 3 inch radius die set but I can imagine this taking several attempts to get it right.