Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5 inch Azusa Tri star front wheel clearance
OK, so now a new problem. My Rupp Super K had steel 4" wheels on it when I got it. I thought I would upgrade to 5" fronts to match my 6" rears.  Went to put them on tonight, and the wheels hit the bottom of the king pin nut before they bottom out on the spindle.  It looks like a 1/4-5/16 inch spacer would work and still give plenty of thread on the spindle.  Is this common with these wheels?  I did a forum search and found nothing. Should I be looking at different wheels?

Thanks in advance, you guys are always helpful.
Brian, different brands of wheel may well be different widths across the bearings. Any good kart shop will have wheel spacers in different thicknesses so that you may position spacers behind the nut, behind the wheel, or both in order to achieve the track width you want, as well as to position the nut so that the cotter pin engages the notches in the slotted nut. You may want to try moving the wheels inboard and outboard to make little differences in handling. Ted
https://cometkartsales.com/Spindle-Spacers/
Jim Waltz, West Sacramento, CA
And then you have thick castle nuts for the king pins and thin ones plus thick and thin nylocks . just be sure you locktight and cotter pin whatever you use. Play with spacers and nut thickness on your spindles to achieve what you want.
Low height aircraft castle nuts can help out with a space problem on short spindles.

These are "AN" "shear" castle nuts.

"Shear" nuts are intended to be used in shear applications on aircraft where the bolt or stud is in shear rather than tension. That is, the force on the stud or bolt is perpendicular (in "shear") to the bolt or stud, rather than along the the length of the bolt or stud (in "tension").

For our purposes they are way stronger than is needed, and work very well on spindles.

I buy them from Aircraft Spruce as you can buy any quantity you want.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ha...0_3202.php
Jim Waltz, West Sacramento, CA