Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Restoring a Rupp Dart super K
Brian, you ought to be proud. Nice work. I have a small suggestion: With those carbs facing directly forward, and where the dirt kicked up by the front tires will be ingested, please add a pair of quality air filters. Good luck with getting her on the track! Ted
That's looking pretty classy, Brian. I like it!

I just noticed the piles of hardware baggies. I just went through the same thing over the winter: Lots of baggies and receipts.
New issue:  Getting the throttle cables hooked up, my Tillotson cable swivels just arrived. Too large to fit through the throttle arm, so I drilled them out slightly.  Left engine swivel hits the shroud and won't allow full throttle. I noticed when I bought these engines that the carbs were installed upside-down (compared to others I've seen) and was told that this was due to them using V700 intakes. To keep the pulse hole lined up with the carb, they need to be upside down.

So what to do:  It doesn't look like the throttle spindle can be installed the other way due to the idle screw, etc. I'm wondering if there are longer carb studs and spacers?  Maybe a phenolic spacer to keep the carbs cool?  Or should I grind the end of the swivel back for clearance? Another option may be putting a throttle arm on the outboard end of the shaft, but to keep the engines synchronized, I would need to do the mod to both carbs... Ugh.  Any ideas?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The later manifolds with the V reed are better for power, put the carb further away from the block for better access to the throttle arm, and the V reed may be turned 180 degrees so you can install the carb upside down from the way you have it. They're factory, so they're correct for the engine and they provide more GO, so there's no down side. Ted
Thanks Ted- I'll have to look at the spare motor I have, it came with a NOS intake in the box that looks different and includes a stuffer. IIRC the reeds on that one were conically oriented. Know anyone that has the better intakes?
Brian, I'm strictly a 610 guy, so I don't have much contact with the guys who do the "round" West Bends. Frank Moore might have parts. If you PM me, I will give you Frank's contact. Of course, there are a number of 580/700 guys in the forum. Ted
Ted-  Is there any reason I can't just flip the intake 180 degrees?  It seems to be symmetrical, its a Meta mold.  I have extra gaskets, I broke this one getting it off. Do they need a sealant, or should they be dry?  This gasket had some kind of grey RTV on it...

I also have one of these V-power 2 piece intakes that looks like it would work, but would need to buy another to match the engines.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

580 and 700 intake manifolds are symmetrical and can be flipped. The power gain by switching to the V reed is considerable.  The old reed, combined with the fact that the old style manifold has no stuffer, is a poor setup for making power. The best thing you can ever do for a stock-port 580 or 700 is go to the newer manifold with the V reed and install a larger HL Tillotson carburetor. A very good carb for a stock 580/700 is the HL232 off of an 820 engine. It is a bolt-on conversion, and there are many of them available. Any Tillotson HL carb with a 1" throttle bore will perk up the engine, provided you switch manifolds. Be careful, it is addictive! Ted
very nice work .
hate to see you hung up needing a part.
i probably have the match to that v manifold if you're interested. 
pm me and we can chat. 
d Cool
Dave L.
Can anyone on this thread provide a current source for the Azusa ribbed velocity stacks shown in a couple of the photos in this thread? Thanks for any help you might provide.