Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Picked up this kart today
I got this old kart running a couple of years ago for this guys kids. I offered a small 4 wheeler as trade at the time. But they wanted to try out the kart instead. Have not heard anything until now when I got a phone call. The dad promised to call me if decided to sell. I actually had his phone number stuck to my printer and looking at it almost everyday. Just wondering if the kart was still around.

It is a late 50's model with dead axle. Would likely have been equipped with one or two Clinton A-400/490 engines. I told the dad my thinking was this kart may be an early Simplex. But still not so sure. 

Some of the components definitely look Simplex. But have not found a pic to confirm it. The front wheels have conventional 5/8 sealed bearings. The rear stub axles are replaceable. They are also machined from 3/4 round stock and stepped down, threaded with an extra fine 5/8 thread. They utilize 3/4 tapered roller bearings. Fairly bullet proof. The rear brake setup looks like what I remember Simplex used early on. But I wasnt even born back then, so going with what I saw later at the local tracks. Any ideas?

I plan to clean up some of the alterations. Very minor but still need addressed. Also there is a pair of Clinton E-65 engines that need a donor chassis to reside on. This might just fit that bill.

(04-13-2018, 08:07 PM)Terry Bentley Wrote: I got this old kart running a couple of years ago for this guys kids. I offered a small 4 wheeler as trade at the time. But they wanted to try out the kart instead. Have not heard anything until now when I got a phone call. The dad promised to call me if decided to sell. I actually had his phone number stuck to my printer and looking at it almost everyday. Just wondering if the kart was still around.

It is a late 50's model with dead axle. Would likely have been equipped with one or two Clinton A-400/490 engines. I told the dad my thinking was this kart may be an early Simplex. But still not so sure. 

Some of the components definitely look Simplex. But have not found a pic to confirm it. The front wheels have conventional 5/8 sealed bearings. The rear stub axles are replaceable. They are also machined from 3/4 round stock and stepped down, threaded with an extra fine 5/8 thread. They utilize 3/4 tapered roller bearings. Fairly bullet proof. The rear brake setup looks like what I remember Simplex used early on. But I wasnt even born back then, so going with what I saw later at the local tracks. Any ideas?

I plan to clean up some of the alterations. Very minor but still need addressed. Also there is a pair of Clinton E-65 engines that need a donor chassis to reside on. This might just fit that bill.

It looks more like a McCulloch Kart, with some variations, from the seat towards the front of the kart. Although the rear does resemble some aspects of an early Simplex MK I or MK II,  I don't think that's what you have. Also, I believe all the Simplex karts, whether single rail or double rail, used the narrow type steering hoop centered within the floor pan. Here are a few photos of an unrestored Simplex MKII for comparison...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

that simplex mkII is a cool looking kart