Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mc10 carb rebuild kit
are rebuild kits available for these mc10 carbs? are these carb bodies mag or aluminum?  Thanks Shawn

Hi Shawn.  I'm told that Terry Ives has rebuild kits for these.  T I I <at symbol> surewest [d0t] net
(Extra spaces, brackets and tweaking added for the Spam Bots.)

I'd bet that the vintage chainsaw guys buy their kits from him, too.

I'm pretty sure that the carb bodies are aluminum. 

Mg is extremely light and corrodes like crazy, especially on machined/drilled surfaces.  Folks have mentioned a fizz test you can do to be sure (put a drop of XYZ acid on it, and if it fizzes, its Mg).  Some things make Aluminum fizz too, so do your research!
(04-08-2018, 05:35 AM)doug tenney Wrote: Hi Shawn.  I'm told that Terry Ives has rebuild kits for these.  T I I <at symbol> surewest [d0t] net
(Extra spaces, brackets and tweaking added for the Spam Bots.)

I'd bet that the vintage chainsaw guys buy their kits from him, too.

I'm pretty sure that the carb bodies are aluminum. 

Mg is extremely light and corrodes like crazy, especially on machined/drilled surfaces.  Folks have mentioned a fizz test you can do to be  sure (put a drop of XYZ acid on it, and if it fizzes, its Mg).  Some things make Aluminum fizz too, so do your research!

thanks Doug, i will contact terry about the rebuild kit.
  i ask about the carb body because the tip that the idle stop screw threads into is broke off, i need to repair. 
it feels super light and is very dark in color compared to the plates that look aluminum.
Shawn, the early Mac carbs like the Mc10 are mostly magnesium. I wouldn't run alcohol in them. The later flatback carbs, Mc20 and later are aluminum, and can be modified to run alky very well. Ted
Good to know, Teddy.  That's what keeps me coming back... always learning.

Check this thread out.  I think they covered it well.  https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thre...um.716915/

(I vaguely remembered that vinegar was used for the fizz test.)

(04-08-2018, 09:53 AM)doug tenney Wrote: Good to know, Teddy.  That's what keeps me coming back... always learning.

Check this thread out.  I think they covered it well.  https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thre...um.716915/

(I vaguely remembered that vinegar was used for the fizz test.)

A friend checked with Terry Ives yesterday and he did not have kits
As Ted said, some, or most were magnesium. I had one that was so corroded, it had a hole all the way through the bore.
I have a few aluminum ones and I am also looking for gaskets.
I think I have two of the 3 gaskets sourced and I am looking for the third.
My MC-10 IPL doesn't show the early style carb, but my 1-60 chainsaw IPL does.
I'll attach a couple pics for the gaskets.
I wonder if any of the "arborist" sites have any carb parts for the early Mac carbs? TJ
(04-07-2018, 08:17 PM)Shawn moore Wrote: are rebuild kits available for these mc10 carbs? are these carb bodies mag or aluminum?  Thanks Shawn
Try Bob's Lawnmower, Maryland, NY 
607 638 9297
Tom, Shawn,

I sent an old set of MC-10 gaskets to Bob this week to see if he could match them.
His IPL's were not old enough to show the right part numbers.
If he can't find the gaskets, I will have some made.

terry
[attachment=3275 Wrote:Terry Sullivan pid='8220' dateline='1523229180']     Tom, Shawn,

I sent an old set of MC-10 gaskets to Bob this week to see if he could match them.

terry

(04-12-2018, 07:01 PM)Tom Smith Wrote:
(04-08-2018, 06:13 PM)Terry Sullivan Wrote: Tom, Shawn,

terry

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)