Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Margay gearbox rebuild article
There is a tread on the VKA forum about an article on rebuilding a Margay gearbox, but there is no information on where to find a copy. Can anybody point me to it?
that article was in a vka magazine years ago.
for some reason vka has never seen fit to offer reprints on old articles. 
imho they could even sell the reprints and i'd buy them. 
D Cool
Dave L.
Instructions for buying reprints & past issues was given on page 16 of the Feb/Mar 2018 VKA First Turn magazine.

Over several years now, guys have brought a lot of talent and donated a good bit of their time to the hobby, through the VKA, and the same is true for this forum.
Dick Teal's article is in the December 2015 issue of VKA First Turn.
Doug,
 we have many non VKA members on the forum. 
could you post what a fellow needs to do?
thanx d Cool
Dave L.
(03-25-2018, 12:11 PM)Bill Peck Wrote: There is a tread on the VKA forum about an article on rebuilding a Margay gearbox, but there is no information on where to find a copy. Can anybody point me to it?

.pdf   Margay Gearbox Rebuild Article.pdf (Size: 606.81 KB / Downloads: 46)

Bill - see if you can open this
(03-26-2018, 08:59 AM)Paul Hunter Wrote:
(03-25-2018, 12:11 PM)Bill Peck Wrote: There is a tread on the VKA forum about an article on rebuilding a Margay gearbox, but there is no information on where to find a copy. Can anybody point me to it?

Bill - see if you can open this

Got it. Thanks Paul.
gonna move this thread to repair section. thanx for posting i lost mine a while ago.
Dave L.
Thank you, Paul.  I hadn't seen that write-up before.

My instincts are to help a brother at every turn... but I also have no interest in turning friends into enemies by posting their copyrighted material.

Anyway, I will summarize the instructions for reprints, for VKA members.
1) To help locate articles, in past years, certain issues of FirstTurn contained Annual Indices.  The 2017 the Annual Index appeared in the Feb/Mar 2018 issue.
2) Hardcopies, if available, are $2 for Newsletter, $3 for magazine.  Check with Rolf for availability at KartNumber4[d0t]yah00[d0t]com.  (Ordering instructions below.)
3) Electronic copies of issues >1year old are available no charge to Members.  Limit 2/yr.
4) Send ck or money order to Bill Bloodworth, along with instructions for what you're ordering, and your address.
(03-27-2018, 06:34 AM)doug tenney Wrote: Thank you, Paul.  I hadn't seen that write-up before.

My instincts are to help a brother at every turn... but I also have no interest in turning friends into enemies by posting their copyrighted material.
doug,
thanx for posting the how to.
on the material,
i'm happy to see VKA is making reprints available.
for several years the idea of reprints was a bad one to bring up with vka board members as i found out the hard way.
after all the hard work and effort of past editors it was a huge waste not to have reprints.
i said so publicly many times , as this made no sense to me .
the VKA mission statement goes on and on about advancing the hobby which is a good thing.

so imho advancing the hobby by giving good technical advise is a no brainer.
on the copy right issue.
i was literally screamed at years ago by a person i won't name about copy right infringement and my forum, lawsuits i would be STEALING ect ect.
this was because i suggested we'd be happy to host electronic versions of the articles here and make them commonly available to everyone.
WELL I WAS PRETTY STEAMED so i looked into how to copy right printed material.

sadly VKA didn't even come close to copy righting their material in any way that would hold up in court.
the early issues don't have any sort of labeling for copy rights i looked and looked at all my issues.
later issues swiped a blurb which at best shows intent to copy right.
out of respect for vka i decided not to push the issue we have better things to argue about!!!
so i've never personaly reprinted anything VKA has published.
but if someone posts something here that vka has published in the past i certainly am not gonna delete it either.
those articles are g0ld to newbes trying to restore old gear. 
many were written by guys who are already gone and wanted to leave their experience behind to help those newbes.
to me their intent to share was not limited to vka members only .
so if someone posts a vka article here i'm gonna leave it. 
this forum EXISTS to help grow vintage karting.
we beg for information to be posted here were it's as safe as we can make it .
that  promotes the vintage karting sport by spreading information to everyone so that should make VKA happy too!!
by the way as an aside,
VKA is a club everyone should consider joining.
i don't always agree with everything done but we'd all be lost without them.
so join.

end of rant
D Cool
Dave L.