Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jacket for vintage karting events
What type of jacket and gloves are required? Is a nylon motorcycle jacket sufficient?

For a jacket last year, I wore my Dads old Azusa naugahyde jacket but it was a little snug and very HOT.

Thanks,

Michael
I have worn used motorcycle jackets that I have found at thrift stores or online. Look for leather or better padded brands. such as AGV sport or Hein Gericke, They tend to have padded shoulders, built in elbow protectors, padded back etc. I removed the back padding because I did not need it. They also can offer good VENTILATION . You can usually tell which ones are more fashion vs safety and function. Search for used jackets by size on ebay. I have paid less than $50. If the weather is cooler I might wear an asuza, but if it is warm out...forget it. I also see many karters wear racing or karting suits. Some even wear eldow and knee pads.
Years ago I bought the nylon cordura Azusa jacket that I wear it at all tracks, never got turned away. I bought the pants as well, but I've never worn them. Way back when, my pal Charlie bought me a pair of leather work gloves at a hardware store. They have Velcro fasteners, and a softer fabric on the undersides. He couldn't have paid more than a few dollars for them, but they are comfortable, grip the wheel very well and have proven very durable. I have a good pair of karting gloves out in the shop, but I prefer the hardware store gloves. TJ
Romero...is the king of finding vintage clothes......

common sense dictates it more than anything...how much rash would you like on your arms .elbows,,,,,I use motorcycle jackets ,,Fly is a reasonable prices well padded lightweight brand

gw
I bought a used Arizona leather jacket off of Craigslist for 15$. I actually think it's fake leather but it's aged and lightweight. VKA patch and flag patch helps it out to. Good vintage look to it.

Brad
Thanks for all the replies guys. I was at a local motorcycle shop today and they have a closeout on some cordura nylon jackets with pads and a liner for the cooler weather. I think I will pick one of those up.

Michael
lots of guys wear the racing suits they sell for karting or the lightweight cloth jackets that sell as racing approved. All is good if you don't meet the asphalt. Those meterials last about 2 feet on the pavement. There are many leather jackets sold on flea bay that will last far longer and aren't expensive. I think mine is about 6 years old and cost a whole 85.00 shipped.