Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bringing an HR Tillotson back from junk status
DISCLAIMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     I'm NOT an expert, nor am I a machinist or guru of ANY type.
This is NOT a Reader's Digest condensed version, but a real life version of what to look for
and what I did as a low bucks, old time racer to solve my problem.

I recently acquired a Tillotson HR181A in a parts swap.  Dirty, I knew it was gonna need a redo.
 In the past, McCornack has been my go to guy for carb help, but I made a decision (bolstered by a
couple of adult beverages) that if I could keep my 9 sec. drag car running, (and continue to
run in the 9's), I could for sure do something productive and save this thing.......maybe even learn something.  I'm STILL learning about 2 cycle engines......and their idiosyncracies.

As I begin teardown for a "look see" the first thing that's apparent is the wear in the throttle shaft
to main body.....it's AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Next was the amount of white fuzzy junk in the interior.

It quickly became obvious this was NOT a quicky call to EC BIRT for parts and full speed ahead.
A cup full of lacquer thinner, a toothbrush, and 1/2 hour later, it's now cleaner than when I
started, but not yet to my standards.  Hello brass bristle "toothbrush."   An additional 1/2 hour,
and I'm happy.

Hard parts are ordered (simple pieces) and I'm now faced with the throttle shaft/main body wear
issues.  Along with this is the reality of someone before me having used an oversize throttle
shutter/plate with elongated screw holes. Nothing fits, n othing available.......A real test of patience, (lack of) talents, and tools.  Compound this with info I gathered that this series of Tillotson's is PROBABLY a METRIC version that turned out to be a very short run, and that metric/this series specific parts are a woman to locate.   So much so that EC specified the replacement parts I needed turned out to be for the "B" series......not compatible in certain areas.   DISCLAIMER........EC BIRT and the people there are class "AAAAAAAAA" to deal with.  DON'T use my rant as a justification for NOT using them.  It just turned out that I had a morphodite to deal with.   AND, ALL THE VINTAGE GUYS I AGGREVATED FOR INFO WERE
CLASS A TO DEAL WITH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know, you're all tired of my ramblings, so I'll cut it short.  After multiple attempts, I was finally able to
come up with solution to my issues.......

1) Oddball/out of the ordinary hard pieces are available....1st choice should be a source that's knowledgeable.  I used Dustin @ Competition Carburetors (208) 440-4478.  EC Birt is class A for
run of the mill stuff.

2)  Sit down with a pencil/paper/conversion chart(s) for fractions/decimals/metrics to test your
mental skills.   The wallowed out holes for the throttle shaft in this HR was a test and a throwback
to my high school days........remember........kart and hot rod magazines in study hall in place of "real"
studies?  I used a Harbor Freight digital readout calipers for an approximation of replacement parts
and once again, pencil, paper, a couple of cross reference charts, and NO adult beverage.

3) I ended up using 1/4" od brass tubing and 9/32" od brass tubing from a local hobby shop
to fabricate an acceptable sleeve to match the od of the throttle shaft and the id of an oversize bore
in the main body.   A little Super Glue and yee ha.....I'm good.

Questions?     Contact me............no secrets on my end.

MANY, MANY   thanks to McCornack and everyone else who helped me in this exercise in advanced
arithmetic.

Chuck

aaaand there is a brass bushing that cresent carb put in all their tilly carbs to prevent shaft wear like that.
i've never been ably to source the part number but know that tilly made bigger ones for model a carbs. 
how i know that is easy .
i bought a set by accident.
i saw the pix didn't really read the ebay ad carefully and now have something i'll never use.
 the exact right shaped part but about four times bigger.
i'm gonna try that tubing tip.
D Cool
Dave L.
(03-22-2018, 11:37 PM)David Luciani Wrote: aaaand there is a brass bushing that cresent carb put in all their tilly carbs to prevent shaft wear like that.
i've never been ably to source the part number but know that tilly made bigger ones for model a carbs. 
how i know that is easy .
i bought a set by accident.
i saw the pix didn't really read the ebay ad carefully and now have something i'll never use.
 the exact right shaped part but about four times bigger.
i'm gonna try that tubing tip.
D Cool
Dave.....
      If you choose to try the brass tubing action..........sing out.  I bought 12" of each, will probably use
about an each inch of each (after screw ups) and the rest will go into the box of misc "what is this?
      Biggest problem I had was zeroing the carb body in the clamp on the drill press bed so the holes
were in alignment.  

There was a shouldered brass bushing in a shaft replacement kit I bought....snowmobile application.
Too short in the sleeve portion and too bulky in its lip/shoulder to be of any use......I did use it for
dimensions and a pattern.

I used SuperGlu to join the two pieces where they telescoped together.......blue Loctite was used up and no access to green.  And I was reluctant to put my limited soldering skills to the test.  There seems
to be just enough clearance between the id and the od of the brass tubing to make it work.

AND I sourced an new throttle shaft and assorted other "hard parts" from Dustin @ Competition
Carbs.  Used pieces had too much wear to make the repairs worthwhile.   A shout out of thanks and
thumbs up to Dustin, EC Distributing (EC Birt) and Bill McCornack for help, direction, and PARTS!!!!
There was an excellent write-up in a recent VKA magazine on using brass tubing to make throttle shaft bushings for (I recall) a Tillotson HL.