Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thanks Scott Elkes
I want to just put a note out to say thank you to Scott Elkes for his posting of all these past issues of Kart Tech magazine on Face Book.  I have truly enjoyed reading them over these last few weeks.  It has been interesting to not only follow the progress of karting up through the years but also a great many of the key players, many of whom make up this forum.  Several of our past Winston Cup boys too.  We all know Lake Speed but I came across Ricky Rudd's name and picture in one of the issues today.  It looks like he had a brother involved also.   It is very interesting to look at the chart posted of the top finishers for each class of the VIR Nats as it shows everything about the person and his equipment (page 17). All of it.  Kart type, engine, tires, brakes, exp. chamber, sprocket & chain, etc., etc.  By looking closely at these charts you can follow the different manufacturers through the years and see how they developed.  What kart frames were the most popular.   It's interesting to use the info in the chart and compare it to the manufactuer adds where for example Bug might say "we cleaned up at VIR taking 1, 2 & 3 in X number of classes, ........".  Having the factual info right there in print, you can see if they are telling the truth or stretching it a little!  

In reading the Nov. 1973 issue today I came across the first mention of 4 cycles (page 28) and how popular they were becoming in unsanctioned club races at tracks all over.  So, for those folks interested in the tatter diggers and their progress, make a note of this article and date and see when they started having sanctioned races.

So, thank you Scott for taking the time to do this.  I appreciate it and enjoy learning all of the history.

file:///C:/Users/sterling/Downloads/PW_WK%20197311.pdf