Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barnesville VKA 2018 report
Had a great time at the Barnesville VKA event ! 150+ entires, plus more show karts !

So great to see all the amazing people who make vintage karting special.

Dropped off my kart, two bins and fuel to Gary W earlier in the week. Got to the airport 5am Thursday, took off at 600am landed at 740am, waited for Tom Kelly to arrive and drove to the track.

Track was buzzing already when we arrived. Found trailer, unloaded, fueled up and hit the track for practice. It was very slick, may drivers spinning out in search of grip, as the weekend went on, grip improved and temps came up from 50s into the 70s.

First sportsman rear race heat I managed to finish mid pack, 4th or 5th ?, but that is good considering the heavy competition and some drop outs and spins.

Before the 2nd heat I had a motor problem. First it looked like 5 broken missing flywheel fins and a chipped coil, but further inspection showed a ruined reed. So on went the back up motor. With no practice left, I would have to race Heat 2 with no practice on this motor.

Heat 2 went well despite needlessly adjusting carb 5 times in 6 laps. Also realized I DID ruin this clutch breaking in this motor in a local parting lot. Finished 4th ? Some drivers had race problems that put them out. Also learned that if they don't hand you your transponder before the heat, you will not be counted as a finisher. Some races still score you manually, not this one. I was still beaten by two drivers who spun into the grass managed to get back on track and beat me to the finish line.

After tracking down Max Torque Clutch master Jim Donovan for new clutch shoes I was ready for heat 3 saturday.

As we started Heat 3, I noticed Mark D's Chaparral had a flat right tire on the parade lap. Wouldn't you know it Mark's pace was still fast on three inflated tires ? Then I spun, I had work to do now,  I did catch and pass Mark on the 7th ! lap of 8. The guy almost beat me with a flat tire. I think I finished 4th. Many drivers did not run the 3rd heat.

I was also surprised how many great karts and parts where for sale. Great deals to be had all three days ! Anyone looking for vintage karting stuff needs to attend VKA events ! Great stuff !

I was great to see familiar people and meet new ones.

The event organization could have been better, I heard the race announcer call my name winning a race while I was in the pits. Sure enough, the paper said I won Historic heat 2 that I did not enter.

There were delays, but that just gave us more time to bench race and buy parts.

I did not mind the 4 cycle entires. I did wonder about how vintage the motors were. I see both sides of the issues to include or not.

We drove to the airport saturday evening and where home by 11pm.

See Facebook VKA for photos.

Thank You Barnesville

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Romero, thanks for the report and pics. good stuff!