Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
vintage snowmobile racing ..(looking for brett mallory )
brett.,  the guys I race snowmobiles for called me this morning ask if I was up for some  racing Saturday ..?
is coudrsport on ..?? ..are you guys going ..where I find info .. ??  hope see you there if its happening ..??
Yes it is on.  It was a last minute decision to do it.  For info look up the Potter County Snowmobile Club Facebook page or else look on their website that goes by the same name.  The classes are pretty much the same as years past, although they did drop a few that had a poor turnout.  

As packy as the snow is I'm thinking the track should be pretty fast and smooth, and hopefully maintains more than one racing line.  I'm only taking one sled to run in the old farts (Clydesdale) class.  It's the same sled I won the class with two years ago, but I haven't ran it since.  Yesterday is the first I've had it running.  I hope it finishes!  I figure I'm too out of shape to run more than one class so that's all I'm doing.  I wanted to run my single cylinder mod sled but I blew the engine up in it yesterday morning.  I'm glad it broke here and not out on the track.  Ryan isn't going, he's 100% in kart mode already!

What sleds are you taking?  See you there!
..I have no idea what there fixing ..once I herd the 74 tnt F/A that I done pretty good on once ..then a 75 sno jet sst fan was mentioned ..76 tx 340 or single cylinder 71 blizzard ...lol..
I gotta find a way to get my own sled ...lol..
I'll be on this one tomorrow.....

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Looks like a LOT of fun.  Let us know how it went!
(03-10-2018, 03:32 PM)doug tenney Wrote: Looks like a LOT of fun.  Let us know how it went!

Where were you Steve?

It was a great turnout today considering they just announced Tuesday that they were racing today.  I'd guess about 65 sleds showed up.

The Coudersport, PA oval track has quite a history of snowmobile racing.  During the haydays back in the '70's it was part of the USSA (Unites States Snowmobile Association) national circuit and used to bring in some of the top teams in the US and Canada.  It would be equivalent to a track like Batavia, NY to the karting world.  There hadn't been any racing on this track for almost 30 years, until they brought the vintage sleds in a few years ago.

My day wasn't great.  There were only three of us in the 55 and older class, but I finished a solid third!  LOL!  It doesn't matter, it was a good day just hanging out with the racers and talking about sleds and old times.  It's kind of funny, I don't like oval racing a kart, but I love oval racing a snowmobile!

If you look up the Potter County Snowmobile Association Facebook page, there is 1100 and some photos posted of today's races.

Here's one of me during my heat race:

wondered how things went for you guys ... not so good for us ...lol..
my sponser has without exaggeration 150 snowmobiles ..we picked the one that we tought needed the least work .. 74 tnt 340 F/A ..well after fuel lines .,then fuel tank ., then go threw carbs ..then mouse nest in muffler then quit sparking on one side then pulled on it so many times recoil wore out didn't work right then it was 3am ...
this morning drained everything fresh gas started 2nd pull runs perfect ..
but my sponser couldn't hardly move from cranking on sled 2000 times ..so I worked on my karts today ...lol..

man I wanted go pretty bad ..I had a damn nice crash there on year ..but I was going good ..right up till then..i had a great time ..was pretty disappointed I missed out ..

ohhhh man now im really sad ...im 55 now ..I coulda raced you and elwell ..
next year ill get ya ...lol..
I had ever intention of going yesterday just as a spectator...but Karts go in the way,,getting ready for Barnesville... the evolution of snow,mobiles is unreal...from the early 70s to what they are now,,,wow...

my first was a SST SnowJet Kawasaki( powered by Yamaha)...last one was an Yamaha 800 triple... prolly from what 78 to 2000....had a pretty good run with em,,,but now with 15 K price tags and limited riding time and distance needed to (min 8 hours) ride,,,,

still go up to MI (UP) once a year ..rent em,,still get a pretty decent ride on a 600 for good times...

gw
..gary ..in 1972 we got brand new artic cat 440 cheeta .. there used to be min. 15 up to 20-30 sleds every sat nite at our house ..we would ride for hours ..and on new years day we had big ride sometimes 50-60 sleds ..then like everything it kinda faded away with the snow ..
I havnt owned a sled of any kind 8-10 years ..never any snow ..( Till this year ..!! )
if we could only turn back time ..Lol..
Gary, you'll have to make it next year.  Every year it gets a little tougher on the body but I still enjoy doing it.

I'll even furnish you with a sled if you want to try it.