Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nicholson Speedway, May 4th & 5th
I had a really, really good time at Nicholson this weekend. My comments sent to Joe Weissner this afternoon reflect that, and I'd like to also thank by name Sal Palatucci, Skip Owen, Eric Krobath, Paul Hunter, John Wolkiewicz, Al Postiglione and Rick Keller ... So many folks made themselves available to help me out at my first VKA event. I know there's more of you! Also, Tom Kelly in Illinois was able to help me out, in the nick of time, with some advice and custom made engine mount hardware, without which I may not have even attended the show. So if you found a problem with me at Nicholson, blame him?! Before Nicholson, I had already intended to make a valiant effort to hit all four NE Series events, but now my resolve is galvanized!

Understand this, though… My only closed course experience before this past weekend had been a couple times recently at a local Autobahn Speedway electric indoor track. I raced a twelve year old and his parents last week: I won, and it was fair and square. In addition to simply getting track time with my own kart this weekend, one of my personal concerns was to not be a nuisance, and, especially, not a danger to others. I didn't want my inexperience to undermine anyone else's fun. I believe that both objectives were, more or less, met. I know for sure that I had A LOT OF FUN.

HOWEVER.... That doesn't mean that I shouldn't have been more proactive in my classification. In hindsight, I don't think that my machine nor my experience level were appropriate for 6.1 Rear, which is where I ended up. I have a 1964 or 65 Rupp Grand Prix (Experts weigh in: It had the 4” front wheels and deluxe upholstery together when I bought it in 1990) with a completely stock 1966 MC 90 factory 9-port engine and a Margay gearbox. I currently run the correct Mac small flat back carb, with gasoline, a dry MaxTorque clutch, and a Horstman flask muffler. If had Michael Schumacher's driving experience I could maybe have driven my “rear” off and made it work, but without the wet clutch, the tuned pipe, the carb, the fuel, nor the expertise, I was almost unable to catch up for the start(!) and, if I recall correctly, I was getting lapped coming out of the last corner of my 6-lap heat as those guys were gunning for the checkered flag! No one complained to me, but I could understand if they were frustrated. Without a Sportsman's class I think my kart may have been a better fit in Historic, but… That's history.

As I see it, I have three options to consider before Avon:

(1) I can lobby to be put in "Historic" for which my engine is too new, and faster by design than some in that class, though most of the older Mac engines have probably been modified to match or exceed the specs of mine. Its already a mismatched class, but some drivers in that class may object based on the age of my kart equipment. I, too, need to be honest here: I like to go fast and corner hard.

(2) Using the forums, I can try to drum up sufficient participation from other karters to sign up for and bring equipment compatible with the "Sportsman's" class which is exactly where, I have been advised, my kart and I belong.

(3) I can upgrade my clutch, carb and exhaust and make the kart faster before my skills have improved. Warning: All I have to do is bolt them on! (And tune them, I know) But, this is not an idle threat! ?

I think #1 is the easiest, but least optimal. As much as I like the idea of the modifications, I think I'll try to drum up some support for a Sportsman's class.

Maybe some folks sitting back in Historic would like to race in a Sportsman class with me?

John W.?

Anyone else feeling it?

Can I get some "Amens!" in the congregation?

And... Yes, there was a show. I was truly honored to receive the award for Best Restored Rear Engine Kart. In fact, on Friday I was pitted between Paul & Ginny Hunter and Eric Krobath. We formed a little club there with Ginny getting Best Restored Historic and Eric getting Best Unrestored Rear Engine. Mine is the metallic red #23. Many VKA members have participated in its restoration through your advice and/or parts sales, whether you knew it or not. Thanks for being cool people.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Nicholson Speedway, May 4th & 5th - by Kurt Bogerman - 05-07-2018, 03:40 PM