Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
discussion on real names being required for all new members.
hi guys,

when we first opened up the forum we decided to allow new members to join with out using their real name as long as they didn't post anything.

that was fine but now i think it'll be better to return to the old way and ask for real names only.
that's my opinion but i'd like some input from others.
this forum tries to be about what the members want when ever it's reasonable so your thoughts on this are important.

THIS IS OPEN FOR DISCUSSION till sometime after january 30.

so please post any thoughts or comments you have.
thanx
Cool
Dave L.
Hey, Dave. I wanna know who I'm dealing with. Why does a person need a fake name unless there's something to hide? Real names, please. Ted
(12-20-2017, 11:31 AM)David Luciani Wrote: hi guys,

when we first opened up the forum we decided to allow new members to join with out using their real name as long as they didn't post anything.

that was fine but now i think it'll be better to return to the old way and ask for real names only.
this forum tries to be about what the members want when ever it's reasonable so your thoughts on this are important.

thanx
Cool
I agree with use my real names only

(12-20-2017, 04:45 PM)Thx Tim Exley Wrote:

thanx
Cool
I agree with use my real names only
Should read "I agree with using real names only". Damn spell-check.
real name only...if you use a fake name, that tells me something about you ....

same thing gonna happen on FaceBook..you will not be approved on the VKA page unless you have your real name listed..

gw

thanx
Cool

I absolutely believe we should use real names.   I also highly encourage the posting of location city and state.   Handles (on a site such as ours) are a red flag to me, or at least they require extra effort when trying to do business such as buying or selling parts, etc.  I want to know with whom I am dealing.
This is a real forum dealing with the real hobby of restoring and running real vintage race karts.  The members consist of a small group of very real, expierenced, knowledgable guys.  There is not one darn thing fake about the hobby or its members and to me thats what a "handle" represents - fake name.  Not real.  Every member on this forum is intelligent and I find it most irritating that someone would knowingly sign on either without bothering to read the opening instructions or having total disregard for them.  It gets off to a bad start.  And although not required, I think adding the home town and state is helpful and polite.
The ayes have it.  Seems obvious. 

Hopefully any new member that happens to be in the witness protection program will have enough brains to make up a legit-sounding alias... or he can sit back and let "Darwin" do his thing.
Real names, please.
Jim Waltz, West Sacramento, CA
I say real names only. Maybe it's just coincidence, but I've noticed that people tend to stay more cordial toward each other when there is no doubt who is writing the post.
it is absolutely true using real names forces some people to dial back the mean or nasty comments.
so far it seems real names are what everyone wants .
Cool
Dave L.