Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HARTMAN CLUTCH PULLER SOLUTIONS
After misplacing my Hartman clutch puller for a serious length of time, I have figured out that there are about three solutions for dealing with Hartman clutch pullers.   The first solution (that REALLY doesn't apply to me) is to handle your tools like many professional mechanics.  You always put them away in the same place every time you complete a project.  One of my friends does this and he never seems to misplace something in the first place.

The second solution applies to "bucket" mechanics like myself.   Usually as I work on something, I retrieve tools from various places I stashed them the last time and either pile them close to the project or put them in a bucket as I go along.  When I am done I put them all in the bucket with the self assurance that I will remember the location of critical tools.   My Hartman puller problem arose when I looked through my latest 3 or 4 tool buckets (repeatedly) and could not find the puller.   Finally, I sorted the tools in each bucket into their types.   In the BBB (bottom of Barnesville Bucket) the long lost puller showed up (I had looked in that bucket at least 5 or 6 times but didn't find the prize until I had emptied it out.  The moral of course it that those of us in the bucket brigade should sort our tools fairly regularly.

The final solution is to buy another puller.   If you search for a Hartman puller you are almost certain to get skunked.  Fortunately, when papa Hartman designed his oil clutch he made the threads for the puller the same as the CEV flywheel that was basically standard on all spaghetti until motoplat came along.   There are 19 X 1.0 MM pullers available on ebay in the twenty dollar range.  This is the "magic" size that fits the Hartman clutch.  I bought a couple to stash in different tool boxes and they do fit the Hartman.   They are not as stout looking as the original, but they should do the job.

Smokey
All of which explains my rolling toolbox.  Of course having a nice enclosed trailer makes this work as I just roll the tool box up into the trailer when I'm heading off to a karting event.  My entire shop is on wheels.  Work bench, lathe, drill press, buffer stand, grinder stand, vertical band saw, radial arm saw, etc.  In addition, all my parts, spare engines, etc., are in stacked $6 plastic bins from Home Depot, with little Harbor Freight dollies underneath, so that stuff can be moved around easily as well.  I don't have the luxury of a beautiful shop building like Terry Ives or Tom Thorin, so this maximizes the effectiveness of the space I do have.  

Organization, that's the ticket!
Jim Waltz, West Sacramento, CA
some great info right there,,,,

and Jim, I do the same..my trailer is my work shop...no luxury work shop...although I wish I had one,,,

gw
I think all of us old guys have had this same problem. CRS. I take a different approach. I only take the sizes and tools I need in a Kennedy machinist chest. Then 3 smaller tool boxes with the special stuff. 1 for Burco clutches, 1 for Hartman, 1 for small parts. Other parts stay in a cabinet in the front of the trailer.
FWIW, Terry Ives made up some Hartman Clutch pullers not too long ago.  I think his run somewhere around $30.