Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why
first sorry for the hijack but this thread seems to have wandered into an area i'd like to see discussed anyway.

Brian S.,

yep i bought the texas stuff and probably could be consider myself a big player in collecting vintage karts if i thought about it.
and i also run the forum and have for years.
but consider this with me attending events running the forum and having parts available maybe i have an insight into the sport that others don't.

my personal take is there are alot of lurkers out there who'd be happy to go to events if it wasn't for the cost,distance and possible fear they aren't up to some imagined standard.
i know i felt that way the first couple of years i was in this hobby and know lots of others who feel the same.

the distance to travel to events was why i was involved with promoting events at all.
after several years of asking for a closer event on the east coast event to be added Scott finally just made one at Avon.
right around then we had an East coast vintage meeting and then more by accident than anything else we had the first cuddeback event.

now five or six years later we have about four really good east coast events which as they mature will become better and better.
Scotts event is getting almost to big to run easily anymore and i hear cuddeback isn't far behind.
and except for the yamaha guys ALL the karts running tend to be classic vintage karts made before 1975.
this to me doesn't indicate stagnant or reverse growth at all.

in the ohio area the amount of events is getting a little silly.
still even with the competition jeff browns new castle event drew a stupid amont of karts.
in the past new castle was filled with newer karts and a racing vib. but jeff has made a huge effort to encourage the older karts attendance with a big kart show and lots of practice prior to saturday racing.
i noticed alot more classic vintage karts in attendance this year.

i can't really comment on cali events as i haven't been there but i understand they are fairly huge too.
to be fair it seems there are more newer karts there but that may just be the impression i get from pictures.

the big takeaway here should be that there is alot of growth in event attendance.
just maybe not as much in historic or classic vintage as we'd like.
to grow historic and classic karting i personally think we need to focus a bit more on tiny local one day events .

last year we tried a one day event and it was big enough to encourage us to continue.
 the one day events can lead to growth for the regional events by providing the "roots" we need to grow further in this sport.
i personally like to run the really old stuff with a little less emphasis on racing and a bit more on the pure fun of running.
though the occasional historic race demo doesn't hurt either!!! Tongue

my point is just running the karts at speed is fun too and we can't unless we continue to work on more track access.
the best way to do that, i'm thinking,  is to find local karting clubs and get them to let us create a vintage division within the club.
Orville pa kart club has ALWAYS done that and i think with great success.

theres your food for thought for the day
gotta go to work now need money for this weekends swap meet buys!!!!

Cool
Dave L.
I'll put in two cents here. The event attendance today seems to depend somewhat upon how well known the event organizer is, as well as how far travel distance may be. Our Tucson event is on one of the best, smoothest tracks in the country. Unfortunately, the travel distance to Tucson seems to daunt some of the guys, and both event coordinators, Larry Brown and Dean Kanocz may be less well known to the vintage crowd than are Jeff and Scott. Also, earlier events were Monday/Tuesday affairs due to the cost of renting the track on weekends. This is not the case with our November 10, 11 and 12 event. It's Friday, Saturday and Sunday. We expect Terry Ives to be here from CA, and John Greaves from Idaho, as well as Pruit Ginsberg from New Mexico. The usual suspects will be here from AZ, but we'd love to see more out-of-staters. There'll be a lot of track time, but no racing. See Dean's post on specifics in the General section of the forum. C'mon over! You'll be most welcome. Everyone is friendly. Ted
Time for my two cents worth......

I think I'm with Randy, in that I buy to hold, which is why my total vintage stable consists of:
-  1st Edition Kalifornia Nyke - appeared 1st at Adams 2017 - "loaner" kart for friends/family
-  2nd Edition Kalifornia Nyke - will be a "Palmini Special" - have all parts, just need time
-  '65 Dan Lotz SAE - running w/"kart" 820's - on track, but needs overhaul and Bonbrights
-  100% original, perfect Sears Orange Krate - will never be modified
-  Rough Sears Orange Krate.  Will be morphed into a race kart
-  '64 Emmick Lightning - Terry is still "gathering" this one (my race kart is Linda's last Avenger)

Some of these karts will be "show" karts for the first year after completion, but all are or will be runners.

This is really about 2 more karts than I should reasonably have, but then once you've been bitten it's hard to contain the virus.

After Paul Bennett let me drive his Margay sidewinder, I decided that I really needed a sidewinder for vintage events, and since I have raced Emmick karts almost exclusively during my 20 consecutive years of modern kart racing, it only seemed to make sense to have a vintage Emmick.

I agree that it is impossible to get your money out of a restored kart, so I don't ever expect to do that.

And I agree that most of us want to restore, and have the kart be exactly how we want it - meaning that others may not find it nearly as inviting.

Then of course, there is my '85 Emmick Elite with stretch front end, old '95 Invader race kart (one class championship), early '90's Emmick and my current Emmick Avenger racer.

I gathered some "modern" karts together so I could do family and friend track days, but have now come to realize that those are best done at vintage play days, so I will likely be offloading one or two of my modern karts as time permits.

All I need is time.............

(funny.  as I am writing my post, Teddy was doing his "two cents worth" as well....)

Hmmm, Ives is going to Tucson.

Maybe next year I can hitch a ride.

Still moving into my new home in West Sac.

I recall that it took Terry a loooong time to move into his current digs.  My shop is not nearly as extensive as his, but it is considerable.  I'm still trying to find my lathe.........
Jim Waltz, West Sacramento, CA
Usn's here sure wish Jimmy and Paul were coming here to be with us! Ted