Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A couple questions on Mk.3 Cheetah’s and engine related stuff.
I’ve got a couple questions.

1. How do you unpack an expansion chamber?

2. There is an open McCulloch on this Cheetah. I don’t quite remember what the ID tag is stamped with, but know that it ends in 165D. It has a thick top fin. Is this an Mc91B/1?

3. On a Mk.3 Cheetah, for front tires, is it better to use typical contact area tires or the type that has a narrower contact area (if that makes sense?) which type is better to use for the kart?

4. The clutch that is on that engine is one of those Horstman adjust-a-slip and has a closed cover. The VKA rules call for a third bearing support. Is their a clutch cover for that clutch that is compatible with a third bearing support? I have a Burco 414 that works with a third bearing support. Should I use it?

Thanks everyone in advance for your comments.
might not be packed ..?? also possible may have to cut the spot welds that holds baffle and packing ..??
sounds like mc91b1 ..but I think 92,s have thick top fin ..im pretty sure 92,s have round ring head gasket duel ball bearing crank two finger ports for boost ports and the 91 has one roller mag side one caged needle on pto side ..bolt in boost port cover ..I think ...
I like skinny fronts
I think most every clutch you just put longer starter nut on that sticks threw 3rd bearing support ..

i noticed a lot of folks don't use the bearing in the 3rd bearing support... they just get extended nut stick it threw hole no bearing ..??
i only run dry clutches ..
Thanks, Steve. It does not have the copper gasket like a 92, 93’s have the aluminum head gasket and dual ball bearing crank, but do not believe this has a dual ball bearing crank. It has the dual finger ports, too.

Interesting but short story on this motor, was that it was rebuilt about three years ago by Sonny Gerber and his report was that the port dimensions matched what Comet Kart Sales would do back in the day, and that it was most likely modified by Mark Dismore or someone in the Dismore family.

Also, if this helps any, the pipe is a Savin Adios pipe
(10-28-2017, 02:02 PM)Ludovico Prelogar Wrote: Thanks, Steve. It does not have the copper gasket like a 92, 93’s have the aluminum head gasket and dual ball bearing crank, but do not believe this has a dual ball bearing crank. It has the dual finger ports, too.

Interesting but short story on this motor, was that it was rebuilt about three years ago by Sonny Gerber and his report was that the port dimensions matched what Comet Kart Sales would do back in the day, and that it was most likely modified by Mark Dismore or someone in the Dismore family.

The 93 didn't use the same head gasket as a 92 they went back to the 91 type.  Savin pipes worked well and you didn't have to play with flex . Jim
(10-28-2017, 05:09 PM)jim fair Wrote:
(10-28-2017, 02:02 PM)Ludovico Prelogar Wrote: Thanks, Steve. It does not have the copper gasket like a 92, 93’s have the aluminum head gasket and dual ball bearing crank, but do not believe this has a dual ball bearing crank. It has the dual finger ports, too.

The 93 didn't use the same head gasket as a 92 they went back to the 91 type.  Savin pipes worked well and you didn't have to play with flex . Jim
Glad to hear that the pipe wouldn't be a let down. Ha!
post pics vico..
you can put a gear box on that kart and run it in rear
you remember my backup kart at Quincy
tk
GEARBOX
IF SONNY SAYS COMET KART SHOP YOU HAVE A WICKED FAST MOTOR.PIPE IS CORRECT FOR MOTOR TOO.
stupid caps lock!
leave kart as is though a thinner front tire with 2.5" patch is better for the margay in mho.
you need to add third bearing support even though with older clutches i feel the rule is silly.
it is for spectator safety and we should try to follow safety rules.
on the bright side you won't need to look for a lost clutch in the woods ever! Big Grin 
they do have a guard or two for your clutch chuck or gary w good guys to contact to find out who has what.
you gonna post pix??
Cool
Dave L.
Ludovico,
Sorry, what do you mean by "unpack" the expansion chamber?

The attached files should tell you what model engine you have.

The names all sound alike... but the Adjust-A-Slip is a Hartman, not a Horstman.  [Horstman made the Slip-O-Matic, Slipster and the Slip-A-Just.]  Open covers are available for the Hartman.

Doug

Attached Files
.pdf   McCullochSummarySheet.pdf (Size: 1.09 MB / Downloads: 14)
.pdf   McCulloch_ID_Charts_RonReaves_91-series_2016mar10.pdf (Size: 220.25 KB / Downloads: 13)
.pdf   Mac Engine ID - Models_vs_Years_2016mar11.pdf (Size: 101.11 KB / Downloads: 9)
Thanks everyone for your help. Here’s some pics. There are only a few because the Cheetah has been taken apart awaiting powdercoat.

Thomas,

I do in fact remember your kart. I saw a rear dual engine Mk.3 at Delmar.

Doug,

When I mean unpacking the expansion chamber, I mean taking all the stuff I would think is used to muffle the motor a little. I could be wrong.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(10-29-2017, 07:53 AM)Ludovico Prelogar Wrote: Thanks everyone for your help. Here’s some pics. There are only a few because the Cheetah has been taken apart awaiting powdercoat.

Thomas,

I do in fact remember your kart. I saw a rear dual engine Mk.3 at Delmar.

Doug,

When I mean unpacking the expansion chamber, I mean taking all the stuff I would think is used to muffle the motor a little. I could be wrong.

duel rear was tom day's kart
tk
GEARBOX