Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FOX FLYWEIGHT
Super Nice Fox Flyweight take a good look.any questions email ,pm,or call me.608-289-2784.2500$ with mac9 1900$ roller.offers considered. thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Really pretty kart.

Seems like I am seeing more and more vintage karts with extended front porches......
Jim Waltz, West Sacramento, CA
Thanks I got the idea from a fox I got from guy that extended his back when he got his new.
You hafta remember there was a 60" O.A.L. requirement back in the day, and a long porch would make the kart too long in some cases. TJ
Interesting this guy raced at srr in the early to mid 70s.i will measure tomorrow and post results
IKF had a rule requiring a front porch in the late 70 s 80 s ?
Within IKF, the 60 inch rule came into effect in 1965 and lasted until sometime in 1969. The rule was made to try to limit laydown karts and how low a driver could be positioned, but it affected all karts racing with IKF rules. IKF eventually realized that builders re arranged the seating area to make it possible to lay down, but with your legs folded up into an uncomfortable position. In 1969 they finally allowed the kart lengths to go up to about 65 inches and then not long after they allowed even longer lengths. I can't find any info in my older magazines or GKCA magazines that showed a rule making sprint karts so short and uncomfortable. It seems like builders just followed the example of others and kept making short leg room karts. Up to 1965 IKF allowed karts to be about 65 - 66 inches in overall length. A racer from Oregon or Washington named Larry Eyerly usually gets credit for one of the first laydown karts with the driver laying fairly flat. After the 60 inch came into effect he built a new kart compliant with the rule and still lay as low as he did in the first kart he built.

(10-23-2017, 04:50 PM)Chris Marchand Wrote: IKF had a rule requiring a front porch in the late 70 s 80 s ?

Are you referring to the front bumper foot guards for karts with your feet in front of the front axle? Those guards/upper bumpers became a requirement around 1975. I don't remember the exact date. A lot of us didn't want to put them on, but they turned out to be a good idea.
At our local Rockledge, FL track, they actually had a hinged plywood box for a couple of years. You rolled the rig onto the box bottom, and the four sides had to fold up and latch. I once had to miss an afternoon of racing to take my B Super kart home and change out my too-long axle. Seems like the box was 60" X 40" X 26" inside dimensions. This would've been '61 or '62. We weren't strictly GKCA/IKF rules, but we tried to stay close, except that A and B Standard allowed alky, modified internals and any carb you wanted. By the time we decided to go GKCA and later, IKF, most of the guys had already modded their engines. I wore out a lot of Dremel tools and finger tips porting and smoothing Mc6's, '7's and 8's!
Michael, I remember Larry Eyerly's "Flying Ironing Board"! Ted
bump.
(10-28-2017, 09:24 AM)Steve carroll Wrote: bump.

I have a 1959 magazine that states GKCA rules had a maximum overall length of 72". 
Doesn't sound quite right based on previous comments. Or maybe they changed
the rule after 1959.