Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Idea (discussion to create national event meet/greet VKA VKCA / new vintage people)
here is some info for you guys. the 1st 2 events at cuddybackville were called "vintage kart grand national" events. again a national event. 2003 and 2004. this is before dave and the current owners. racers from as far away as oregon, missouri, iowa, and michigan attended. wayne anderson michigan, ron brookman michigan, pete williams, iowa, i'd like to know who attended from missouri and oregon. chris, me, mike schlager and  mark delia attended. names you still recognize. and are still active attending events. this is straight out of national karting news. and my hats off to karl billington for putting this all together. and having national karting news document the weekend.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

way way way before dave .
i got into vintage about 05/06.
i'd heard about some of the stuff but until i met chris didn't know who or what.
chuck is totally right about NOT naming any big event for chris s. as he'd never of agreed to that.
this conversation is more about getting the guys who are scattered across the country to one main event yearly so we put faces to names beyond local guys.
Dave L.
(09-09-2017, 07:49 PM)chuck giacobbe Wrote: here is some info for you guys. the 1st 2 events at cuddybackville were called "vintage kart grand national" events. again a national event. 2003 and 2004. this is before dave and the current owners. racers from as far away as oregon, missouri, iowa, and michigan attended. wayne anderson michigan, ron brookman michigan, pete williams, iowa, i'd like to know who attended from missouri and oregon. chris, me, mike schlager and  mark delia attended. names you still recognize. and are still active attending events. this is straight out of national karting news. and my hats off to karl billington for putting this all together. and having national karting news document the weekend.

Well Chuck you took the words right out of my head. When Michelle called me the other day she said that Chris said it was the best event he had been to in 20 years. So, talking with my girl friend today and I thought because Chris enjoyed the event so much to have a Chris S. memorial vintage event, I think he would have liked that. So October 8th I was planning on doing just that, if nothing more than out of respect for Chis and his family.
On another note about this NATIONAL event. Why not have it the same weekend every year but in a different state, eventually everyone would get to meet and greet. Just a thought.
As it has already been stated most people don't want to travel that far so that is the reason I suggested a one time bucket list event in the middle of the country. Would there be people that still would not come? Yes but for a one timer I think there would be many that would just like my one time bucket list trip to California. I have a limit on how far I will travel(I am in Illinois) but for a one timer I really want to attend I will do that. I want to attend an event out east at some point but I don't know when or where yet.I have found that the older I get the less distance I want to travel.
" A one time bucket list event in the middle of the country ! "

Sort of the Vintage-Kart Olympics / National Vintage Kart Reunion ......the one and only Vintage Kart extravaganza !

The National Vintage Kart Open......see the fastest open karts compete , Trailer Queen Restoration contest, Rat Kart Originals, Vintage SwapOrama , Vintage Race Queen .....err' maybe not Big Grin !

Find a buddy, fly in and share accommodations and transportation, just hang out or even help out......invite a friend,
and have a deal for those that just want to be there ......they fly in, get picked up, stay as a group and are bussed out to the event ......prepaid in advance .

Maybe too over the top for Vintage Karting .......better to keep it simple......someone would have to step up that knows
how to find a track and plan it out after there is a poll to find out if enough people would like a special Vintage event
like Tom suggests .

It's a great idea, but also a great amount of work to make it happen ......we don't have a professional association that
gets paid to put on these big events because there's not enough people, corporation sponsors or spectators to support that kind of association .

We're lucky to have a few people that started websites or opened a Facebook account to communicate to each other, but nevertheless by keeping it as simple as we could a nice event could take place if there is some leadership that wants to take it on ???

I have heard but don't know the truth that the Big One does make enough money for the folks that run it to keep it
going, but I doubt it could be done anywhere else except by a family that runs their own operation.....

That's why the Adams / Riverside Event is a success out west and Louie F, (and Group ) puts a lot of effort to make it happen and the Vintage Racers support it .......mostly west coasters, it's great to have others come out to give the event extra flavor.

So using the regional events as a guideline to keep the planning simple ....all it would need is national support and local leadership .....no easy task !
i don't know if a one off event could work.
any promoter invests a ton of time and effort into an event.
to do all that work and "hope" the date picked is one everyone can attend and you've gathered enough interest is asking alot.

typically when promoting anything you expect a growing interest which may eventually pay off with sufficient attendance to make it worth while.

the first few years are pretty lean as people inclined to go take a wait and see attitude or can't make that date that year.
just my two cents
Cool
Dave L.
Hey guys, I said it might be a pipe dream from the beginning of this post BUT it makes for interesting conversation and viewpoints. I still think it's a good idea whether it happens or not.We might as well think big before we go into the dust bin of history! As the saying on Paul Booth's T shirt he wore at Springfield says" NEVER UNDERESTIMATE AN OLD MAN WITH A GO KART". Love that shirt. Anyone know if they are still being sold anywhere?

Hey Dave, if that was you that added on to my original header Idea please correct your spelling of discussion, you are making me look bad buddy,lol.
OPPSIE missed that really need to watch my spelling!!
Dave L.
Nice try Dave, spelling bee's ain't your game....."discussion".....! Now back to why one time events don't happen, because
you have to have a compelling reason to go .......and you have to promote the idea , some call it hype , people
go for entertainment, they want something different or they want to feel happy ....which may be just an escape from
the same ole' same ole' !

Notice not to many folks showing interest here by posting one way or another.......but the SoCal guys are getting
all fired up for the event in Bakersfield .......

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

C'mon guys, you are not that old, YET. You can take a karting vacation cross country. If you build it they will come.