Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hyprod Rod Bolts
Hi All,
I remember a similar thread awhile back on this same subject but I can't recall the answers.

I have a nicely modified engine that has a Hyprod installed that someone gave me to go thru and it was disassembled and one rod cap bolt is missing as welll as some other things. He wants to run the rod so I need to find a bolt.

I think it is a #12-28x1 socket head cap screw with the head tapered.

I can taper the head myself but I need a new bolt, maybe two.  Anyone know where I can find one or two and if a standard grade 8 alloy screw is good enough. Seems like the larger size should allow the use of a G8 bolt.

I also need to know what torque value to use in the aluminum rod.

Any help is greatly appreciated,  see ya at TBO in a couple weeks.
Scott
but but,,I thought you ended your engine building daz,,, LOL... I know ,I know...STFU

gw
Dug up from Tom Smith, Sep 13th, 2009.
"While were at it here are the Hyprode Hot Rod torque instructions word for word.
Lubricate rod cap-screw threads and assemble rod cap using Hot Rod Tork Wrench. Tighten screws alternately in 3 steps; snug, half tight, and full tight. DO NOT over ride tork wrench. When adjusted as recommended, it closes at 50 inch pounds which is the correct load for these screws in this application. Higher tork loadings only "start" the screws off closer to their breaking point, leaving less reserve for "freeze ups" and spinouts.
An appendix to their rod instructions worth mentioning also.
Our own investigations lead us to strongly urge the following measures;
1. After installing connecting rod, using grease, lubricant, STP, or other "adhesive lubricant" apply an appropriate solvent around needles and rotate crank until lubricant is washed out or highly diluted. Blow out with compressed air or allow to drain thoroughly. (Note that alcohol is a very poor solvent for these petroleum products).
2. Lubricate with your regular fuel and oil mix. Bearing is now in the same condition as between overhauls when least trouble is experienced.
Bear in mind that these are not just high speed, but ultra-high speed engines. The average Super A will not run smoothly below 5000 RPM and straightaway RPM of 12 to 13000 are not unusual."