Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mc5 timing
Hi everyone, is the timing the same 26 degrees before top dead center for all Mcculloch motors including my hard to start mc 5? Also is it hard to check compression, and how much is normal?
for base setting 16 thou gap on points ..never failed me yet ...don't need timing wheel or light ..you get between 16-18 thou if it don't run id almost bet it aint cuz of timing ...
Thanks Steve I,ll try that. Looking forward to meeting and introducing myself at fremont
same here ., hey question ...did ya ever try make it run with mixed gas prime ..squirt tiny bit in carb ..pull 3 to 5 times should fire and run out prime ..if it does watch fuel line when it starts to draw fuel cover carb with hand till gas hits carb ..might be able keep it running might flood out and quit but atleast you know you got fuel ..then pull the thing over.... hopefully 3 to 5 pulls she,ll start ..

its kinda an art form a person develops ...prime ., grap throttle arm .,pull .,fires ..then open throttle .,hold hand over carb .,try keep running .,pump throttle (witch does nuttin but its a habbit ) ..swear couple choice words ..60 percent chance i might make it stay running first try ...Lol..

belt it up to the bench grinder ., an old maytag 2 stroke washing machine engine ..or a briggs ...Lol..
Steve I tried priming and pulled at least 15times, all I got was a quick sputter. No fuel flowing. I noticed my high speed needle has a flat end not real pointed like the low end needle. Is that normal for those cheap imitation carbs?I bought the mc5 with that carb off ebay. Hope I didn,t get taken.
Many forget that the hole in the back of the inner cover and the notch in the flywheel are for timing. If you have a continuity light you pull the wire out of the coil and hook up one end of the light to that. then ground the probe of the light on the engine. When you have any type pin though that hole and into the flywheel notch, as you rock the flywheel the light should go off and one. That gives you the 26*. On the cheap carb I would remove all the carb stacks and diaphrams and raise the fulcrum arm to about .040 off the carb floor. Most time they just don't pump enough. Low speed open 2 turns and high open 1 1/2 turns.
Steve,

In all my years of working on McCulloch engines I have never heard of using the flywheel locking system for setting the timing so I was curious to see if it works as you say and decided to check your method while building a 101 today. First problem.... there are two notches on the flywheels so one is going to be way off. On the 101 I built today using your method would produce a timing setting in the range of 35 to 50 degrees BTDC depending on the size of the pin inserted through the hole and how much rocking of the flywheel was allowed. I tried the method with a standard and a 5 degree flywheel.... not going to work.
I'm curious, where did you come up with that idea? Perhaps it works on some other models? If you have a particular model where you know it works please let me know which model so I can take a motor down off my wall to check and see if it works on mine.
Steve O'Hara
(08-17-2017, 01:20 AM)steveohara Wrote: Steve,

In all my years of working on McCulloch engines I have never heard of using the flywheel locking system for setting the timing so I was curious to see if it works as you say and decided to check your method while building a 101 today. First problem.... there are two notches on the flywheels so one is going to be way off. On the 101 I built today using your method would produce a timing setting in the range of 35 to 50 degrees BTDC depending on the size of the pin inserted through the hole and how much rocking of the flywheel was allowed. I tried the method with a standard and a 5 degree flywheel.... not going to work.
I'm curious, where did you come up with that idea? Perhaps it works on some other models? If you have a particular model where you know it works please let me know which model so I can take a motor down off my wall to check and see if it works on mine.
Steve O'Hara
steveo,
that timing notch is something i've seen or heard about too.
not sure memory is fuzzy but i think it might have bennmcculloch literarure.

mel,

READ YOUR PMS I SENT YOU ONE NEED ANSWER. Big Grin

have you confirmed you actually have spark?
i don't recall now.if you haven't pop out the plug and roll it over with the plug grounded and confirm spark.
i've been fooled before on this thinking it's popping.
second thing is you are pull starting it i think?
if thats true all the covering of the carb advise everyone has given doesn't work that good working alone.
to prime the carb you will need to get messy.
loosen all the plate screws and put the gas container above the carb. let a little wash out onto the engine then retighten the screws.

third thing how much gas have you poured down the carb ?
you need about a tablespoon at least if you want the engine to fire it won't hurt much to have extra in the block at this point.
third thing and this one is way out there but who knows. take off the plug and pull away. if you see liquid coming out opf the motor you've managed to flood it the exact opposite of what we think is happening right now but a remote possibility.

on the cheap chinese carbs.post pix of the needles please the description you've given isn't jibbing with what i know about those carbs.
it possible someonme modified the carb for alky that is usually where you find shortened high needles. if so flooding becomes alot more likely.

hope this helps
Cool
at least you carb will be full of gas then.
Dave L.
My mc 5 finnaly fired and ran about a min.  I want to thank all of you for your help and I,am amazed how much info is on this forum.
just wondering what you do to make it run a minute ..??... and why did it only run a minute ...??