Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dxl floater disc
i found these floater discs in a box that i had that contained dxl parts. looking at my catalogs it appears that horstman had several different designs for the dxl floater discs. can somebody verify which horstman dxl clutch (2 or 3 disc) these would be used in. and is there a difference in the floater disc used in a 4 or 6 spring clutch

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

My 3 disc has them. How many do you have? I need 2 myself.
Chuck, I have run DXL's on my KT100's for some 20+ years now.

I have seen at least three styles:
A.  like you show, with 4 "spokes", with a single "tooth" on each
B.  with 4 "spokes", with three "teeth" on each
C.  with 6 "spokes", with two "teeth" on each

I believe that style "A" was an original style.  These can wear out fairly easily.  I had both the floaters lose their "teeth" in a clutch I was running once.  The only thing I noticed was a slightly higher engagement rpm and not as a crisp a hookup.  Clutch still worked OK, but it did cause me to do a tear down after a race day.  Since a 6 spring clutch would generally be used for a higher power engine with perhaps a heavier driver, I would not recommend these be used in 6-spring clutches.  I run a 4-spring clutch with my KT100 on a pipe, scaling at 400#, but I am very careful to not abuse the clutch.

Style "B" was the most common, and I have found them in 4-spring and 6-spring clutches.

Style "C" seems to be the most recent design, and I note are currently shown at Rieken's Racing (but out of stock).

Given the way the clutch is built, any of these styles could be used in a 4-spring or a 6-spring clutch.

I have seen manuals for a single-disc and 3-disc 4-spring clutch, but I have never seen a manual for a 6-spring clutch.  Would love to have a copy if anyone out there has one they would be so kind to scan for us.

Ciao!
Jim Waltz, West Sacramento, CA