Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dave ., question on your carb,s
..I was mowing lawn thinking ..and I was wondering what size that carb was on ur 91..?? that  you messed with all day ..
I think I seen it stamped hl66 ..??   hell them are tiny carbs I run them on 580,s ...i think even drilled bored stroked blueprinted and balanced if you have stock dump tube with check valve nooooo way get enough fuel to run maybe that's why runs for second then leans out ..need bore that out and remove the ball ..still tiny carb I don't even think there 1 inch bore ..you need 3 or 4 them on there ..just curious ..
I was helping Dave suffer through that problem, it was a CR1A, but he may have misplaced a gasket and it was never installed. When he gets around to it I'm sure he will fill in what exactly he did. But I will say fuel should not come out the pulse hole.
that don't sound good ..I know not much fuel was coming out the dump tube ..CR1A may have been one he was trying ...Lol..
steve,
it was an hl264 a last of the era cresent alky carb.
there was a huge issue and brian and i didn't figure out the problem.

NOPE i had nothing to do with the solution.
it was BRIAN S. who figured out my bonehead move.
it was brian not brain dead me that noticed i had installed a funny looking fuel control valve.

we were trying to do a pop off test on a loose carb and instead of popping off the pulse hole was hissing air.
when we covered the pulse hole the carb would pop off like normal.
THAT IS TOTALLY WRONG.
we were both mystified by that and took the carb apart to find out why it was hissing.

after loking at everything brian asked why the control valve part was funny looking.
he showed me one from a kit and i realized what had happened.

what i think happened.
there is some sort of tilly gasket set that has two parts to the fuel control valve.
the material is alot heavier so i may have bought them to see if they held up better with alky.
somehow the valve 1/2 ended up in the bag full of standard ones.
at 1 am when i finished assembling the carbs i just grabbed a stack out of the bag and installed them.
my bad luck they were ALL the kind that come in two parts.
i didn't notice.
note to self get some more sleep.
ANYWAY
if you don't install the 2nd black part you leave the pulse hole cavity inside open to the rest of the carb.
normally the pulse cavity is covered and transfers the vacuum pulse from the engine to the diaphram like a drum head creates sound.
with that cavity open you have a new port into your motor about 1/8" with fuel being sucked in every time the motor turns a full rotation.
which i discovered is extremely effective and will fill your engine with fuel in seconds.
worse it'll create a siphon and drain your whole gas tank into your engine if you choke the engine off when it's running.

we also discovered the motor will run but it won't work.
anyway i learned alot more than that and messed up more things than not
happily because of all this brian and i have a way better understanding of these carbs now.
later this week i'll add the info plus pix to the carb thread so hopefully others will avoid my mistakes.
i'd like to say rookie mistakes but i'd be lying!!!

Cool
Dave L.
found pix so you can see what was wrong.
in picture one we have the control valve i installed it's the brownish part bottom left.note the rather large hole in it.
that hole is covered by the second bit black part upper right corner whick covers the pulse hole cavity so the carb works correctly. i didn't install the black part.
the correct one is in picture two bottom left note the lack of rather large hole. there is no need to add the second gasket.

picture 1

picture two

i did install the missing part into one of the carbs and i will be observing it's performance both wear and tear and actual performance as the brown material is alot heavier.
those results will be posted eventually after a few months installed and run.
Cool
Dave L.
my biggest question ..  did ya ever get to ride Saturday ..or Friday ..

ho ho ho boy were you not watching.
i was out at every practice after lunch in historics.
when i decided that the gk800 was scrubbed i got the little yellow kart out of the trailer.
i have an mc49 on the king kart and signed up for historics.

brian s. was also running a mc49
brian s. and i have been at war for years when we're on the track , a polite war , but war.

normally i won't go too close to anyone as a rule it's far safer to make a clean pass somewhere with plenty of room.
if i can't i just follow till i can pass safely.
but brian and i have driven on the same tracks since he was barely big enough to run a kart.
i first met him at TBO years ago.

at first he was an annoying kid that kept passing me at will .
it was embarrassing but he weighed in at about nothing and was full of energy.
me being a little tiny bit older and alot heavier made it no contest.

but back then i told him time was on my side.
as it turns out i was sorta right.

brian has developed into a great human being always around to help out anyone.
but at the same time he has developed some decent track skills.
he's very hard to catch let alone pass.

but the mc49 has the one carb i didn't screw up and it goes pretty good.
brian also has an mc49 and now weighs in about 10-15# lighter than me so everything was finally balanced.
turns out that included driving skills.

THIS YEAR i did catch him and passed him and IT WAS WAR.
he re-passed me at the next corner i passed him in the chicane before the hairpin he passed me on the short straight and then i passed him in the corner at the end of the long straight.
that went on for every practice.
we switched places all over the track EVERY TIME WE WENT OUT.
some of the best close dicing i've ever had the pleasure to be involved in.
WE HAD A BLAST.

the best part is neither of us cared who was ahead and if it was dicey who ever needed to lifted.
i did bump him once in the back chicane when i over-took him too fast .
i saw it coming but brakes on those historics are not very fast .
i managed to bump/tag his rear wheel lightly rather than cross us up.

only bad part was the track closing at five on saturday but i suppose my arms are happier about that then me.

Cool
Dave L.
Steve - What Dave said is true, I watched it from the grid, they were really going at it.
great to hear ..glad you got some laps in ..man you sure worked on that one kart long enough ..see ya at oriville next ..
nope can't make orville.
my sweetie demanded an adult vacation .
she has time off right when orville will be held.
so farmer brown will be safe one more year.

instead i'm gonna look at the grand canyon and the hoover dam maybe see a show or two in vegas.
after that i'll have to work the rest of the year at overtime somehow to pay off what is gonna go out the door to keep my sweetie happy!!!.
Dave L.