Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WALTZ "LOANER" MINI BIKE BUILD
And fourth, adapting the Azusa drum/sprocket assembly to the modern axle and spun wheel hub assembly.

I'm afraid I really was a hardhead in this regard.

The key to the whole thing was to design and machine an adapter that would bolt to the modern hub, and also bolt to the drum/sprocket unit.  I had to "noodle" long and hard on this to come up with a way to do it.  The adapter plate itself was relatively straightforward, but adding an additional hub and figuring out how to get the two hubs solidly bolted to each other took quite a while to come up with.  Curiously, in writing this I'm listening to myself, and realizing by looking at my diagram that there was a way that I could have done this using only a single hub.  It would make the assembly easier too.  Rats!

My mini lathe (had to be a "mini" lathe since I was working on a "mini" bike, right?) came in quite handy here for machining the split hub (to shorten it and make room for a bearing), and for machining the T6 aluminum adapter plate.

This assembly has been beaten to death, and has not given a moment's trouble.  I do fear when Jo is fully grown, however..........

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Jim Waltz, West Sacramento, CA

Messages In This Thread
WALTZ "LOANER" MINI BIKE BUILD - by Jim Waltz - 07-29-2017, 07:16 PM
RE: WALTZ "LOANER" MINI BIKE BUILD - by Jim Waltz - 07-29-2017, 08:13 PM
RE: WALTZ "LOANER" MINI BIKE BUILD - by Jim Waltz - 07-29-2017, 09:06 PM
RE: WALTZ "LOANER" MINI BIKE BUILD - by Jim Waltz - 07-29-2017, 09:31 PM
RE: WALTZ "LOANER" MINI BIKE BUILD - by Jim Waltz - 07-29-2017, 09:47 PM
RE: WALTZ "LOANER" MINI BIKE BUILD - by Jim Waltz - 07-29-2017, 10:26 PM
RE: WALTZ "LOANER" MINI BIKE BUILD - by Jim Waltz - 07-29-2017, 11:03 PM
RE: WALTZ "LOANER" MINI BIKE BUILD - by Jim Waltz - 07-30-2017, 06:19 PM
RE: WALTZ "LOANER" MINI BIKE BUILD - by Jim Waltz - 08-01-2017, 02:03 PM