Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My recent Blitz kart purchased
Sad
Hi Jim

they are ( go power) so its magnesium i just split one apart and it says it, are they worth
welding the lip back and re machining or is it better to just look for 2 new ones i have
a Tig but i never did magnesium and i think its best sent to a welding shop that can do it

thanks for the fast response Rich,
Richard, of course Go Power made aluminum wheels as well as magnesium, but I believe the ones Blitz used were mag. You can tell by cleaning off an inconspicuous area and applying vinegar. If it fizzes, the metal is magnesium. There were thousands of mag Go Powers sold, but over the years they've become a bit scarce in certain sizes. The ones that are concave in the area where the six holes are located are the later Series II wheels, and you might get repop wheels from Scott Wigginton at ASW  R&D Machining. The repops Scott sells are aluminum. You can also get the front Series II wheels  from Matco. They're an aircraft supplier, and they have the wheels as nosewheel assemblies, complete with ball bearings. If your wheels are CONVEX in shape, they're Series I wheels, and you'll just have to find them either on the forum or on eBay. You can give the TIG a shot and see what happens, but don't burn your shop down! Ted
(08-01-2017, 03:09 PM)ted johnson Wrote: Richard, of course Go Power made aluminum wheels as well as magnesium, but I believe the ones Blitz used were mag. You can tell by cleaning off an inconspicuous area and applying vinegar. If it fizzes, the metal is magnesium. There were thousands of mag Go Powers sold, but over the years they've become a bit scarce in certain sizes. The ones that are concave in the area where the six holes are located are the later Series II wheels, and you might get repop wheels from Scott Wigginton at ASW  R&D Machining. The repops Scott sells are aluminum. You can also get the front Series II wheels  from Matco. They're an aircraft supplier, and they have the wheels as nosewheel assemblies, complete with ball bearings. If your wheels are CONVEX in shape, they're Series I wheels, and you'll just have to find them either on the forum or on eBay. You can give the TIG a shot and see what happens, but don't burn your shop down! Ted

Ted the wheels are concave where the 6 holes are and vinegar fizzes on it so maybe the best bet is sell 2 good
ones off on ebay  and buy the aircraft wheels for the front and the ASW for the rear these have some g0ld paint
left on them like many of Karts that i see at the group events videos i can weld but not going to get involved with
magnesium and chance a fire !!! Rich,
Contact Thomas Kelly on this site thru a PM and he may have a source that can weld those GP wheels.
(08-01-2017, 07:16 PM)Chris Marchand Wrote: Contact Thomas  Kelly on this site thru a PM and he may have a source that can weld those GP wheels.

that was what i was hoping for so it would be best to keep the magnesium original ones
 Thanks Chris
The Matco wheels are nice, though you may want to turn the "MATCO" lettering off the rim bead for nicer looks. Their price is terrific, though their catalog is a beast to negotiate!
TK is turning out to be a good fab source. He very recently did some very nice machining for me, and I appreciate it!
BTW, the Dupli Color Universal g0ld rattle can paint is quite close to Go Power g0ld color. I believe Prismatic Powders Poly g0ld, P 4211 powder is also pretty close. I'm having great success with Prismatic Powders' products.Ted
(08-01-2017, 08:54 PM)ted johnson Wrote: The Matco wheels are nice, though you may want to turn the "MATCO" lettering off the rim bead for nicer looks. Their price is terrific, though their catalog is a beast to negotiate!
TK is turning out to be a good fab source. He very recently did some very nice machining for me, and I appreciate it!
BTW, the Dupli Color Universal g0ld rattle can paint is quite close to Go Power g0ld color. I believe Prismatic Powders Poly g0ld, P 4211 powder is also pretty close. I'm having great success with Prismatic Powders' products.Ted

but there just a match for the front machining the lettering off is no problem  what about the rear either  asw 
the rims that came with this kart are rough all around and pitted  lots of oxidation
Here are a set of NOS 4" Series I GP wheels. Note the convex centers. Sorry I only have poor photos of Series II wheels. Ted

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(08-02-2017, 08:06 AM)ted johnson Wrote: Here are a set of NOS 4" Series I GP wheels. Note the convex centers. Sorry I only have poor photos of Series II wheels. Ted

Thanks for the photo's Ted i will take some photo's of what i have here and see what Tom Kelley thinks the
ones i have look the same as your pic's here
Richard,
To weld Mag wheels here's where to get filler rod and some info :

https://www.weldingwarehouseinc.com/prod...um-alloys/

The Welding Warehouse, Inc. is a distributor of filler metals, and welding wire that caters specifically to the aerospace industry. We are one of the few distributors on the west coast that regularly stocks multiple grades and diameters of hard-to-find titanium, nickel, cobalt, silver, and dissimilar alloys.

And where to find Matco 5" rims :  
http://www.matcomfg.com/WHEELHALF5INCHDI...45-44.html

Matco rim pic below....

Attached Files
.jpg   Matco wheels.jpg (Size: 8.34 KB / Downloads: 36)