Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1962 Blitz f-1000 wheels
Hi Guy's,

Looking for a little information and possible help regarding the wheels on my recent kart purchase. Does anyone know for sure what type of wheels are used on it? They look a little like go powers but are not. I would like to find a couple outer halves to replace the corroded one on the left side. They are 5" wheels but I have no idea what brand or where I could find any. Kind of a neat little kart, everything is there but these two wheel halves are needing help. If anyone has any or knows where I could purchase replacements rather than try repairing these I would really appreciate it. 
Thanks in advance for any help and see ya all at the Big One. 
Later Mike
Mike.....no images ?

Here's some Blitz vintage ads or Outlaws in 65 .

I know Enzo has a Blitz and Steve Miller knows a lot about the Blitz/Outlaw Karts .

Karting World in 62 had a Blitz test , the month I don't know but there's a yellow kart rear image on the Cover .

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike,
To my eyes, all of the advertisements, magazine write-ups and post-cards that I've seen show Blitz Karts wearing Go Power wheels.  (The Outlaw came later and is different in many ways, not just the wheels.)  The particular kart on the post-card (below) has 4" wheels in the front, but they also used 5" too.

I recall that Go Power wheels were available in both magnesium and aluminum.  Unfortunately, with Magnesium being more prone to corrosion, that's probably what you have.

In addition to the size, there were two different styles of Go Power wheels, which you're probably aware.  I don't know when the cut-over was.

Doug

I have never seen a blitz kart with anything but go powers ..and I notice they mostly all come with the series II go powers and 5" fronts on all..seen pics with 4" but never seen any on a kart ..(except mine I put them on )
shoemakers came with precision ., CT alloys ..or go powers on the first yr .. witch is actually a blitz kart ..the next year they change front end spindles .,no axle supports .,kicked in the bottom of steering hoop and added cast aluminum motor mount that's rare as rare .rupp front bumper and rupp pedals .added white covico steering wheel ..but I bet dealers did different things or maybe factory ..I bought one my shoemakers off orig owner mine has g0ld covico steering wheel and go power wheels ..

My original unchanged 62 Blitz looks just like Doug's pic minus the dual Clintons with 5" go powers front and rear. First pic I've ever seen with my color scheme, thanks Doug.
In '62 they came with Series I Go Powers. Series II wheels came several years later. TJ
..thanks Tj,. I always mix them up ..the old style are the convex style ..and the series II are the concave type ..??
Yes, Steve. The Series II are what Scott Wigginton repopped, and are the ones that you can get in 4" and 5" from Matco. Of course, Matco only makes the bearing wheels, but if you don't mind the MATCO lettering on the rim, they are a true bargain. You can get 4" fronts with good quality 5/8" ball bearings for under $50.00 each. TJ
Hi Ted: Matco?  Hmm, I'm not familiar with them.  Do you have web address or pics?

I recall prior threads that there were wheels available that looked very similar to Azusa Tri-Star's / McCulloch wheels... maybe from non-kart applications?  Maybe that's true of the Matco wheels, too.

Steve M: interesting Outlaw info.
Hi All,
Here is a picture of the right front wheel on the Blitz kart I purchased. They appear to be magnesium due to corrosion on left side outers. Any help identifying or locating some replacement parts would be appreciated.
Thanks Mike