Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bye-Bye to McMaster Carr!
I use the McMaster Carr website a lot to buy parts. I don't buy on line, but use the site to get the part numbers, then I call and order my parts by phone. I tried to get a countersink bit this morning, and up pops a dialog panel asking me for a username and password. I thought I'd done something wrong, so closed the window and tried again, with the same result. I called, a bit unhappy, and was told that it's McMaster's new policy to require a login in order to browse the catalog. For security purposes, no less! So, I guess it's bye-bye to 29 years of buying from McMaster Carr. They told me they'd look into it and get back to me. They just called and told me there's nothing they can do about  it, so I had them delete my credit card info, and I will find a new source for tools, quality hardware and incidentals like off-the-wall Loctite products and adhesives. Grainger's catalog is like wading through a Louisiana swamp, so that isn't an option. Any thoughts for GOOD quality black oxide and stainless 18-8 hardware? Thanks. Ted
Ted, I just opened up McMaster-Carr website and had no problems navigating through the catalog.  When I did click on my order history, it asked for login information, but went right back to catalog searching afterwards.

Bob
I use McMaster Carr all the time,,and MSC as second choice,,,

but...McMaster is far better....and less expensive,,,

gw
I'm not sure their left hand knows what their right hand is doing. I must have gone in and out of the site ten times; several times while I was on the phone with them. I begin to think it depends on whether you type in www. mcmaster.com, or https://www.mcmaster.com/ to get in. I just did it the second way and I got in, too. I still plan on buying from them, as their product line and shipping are the best. I was just not happy with the callous attitude of their rep. I had never experienced a dismissive tone from McMaster in 29 years. Ted
Sorry to hear you got the run around Ted, if you voice your opinion of how you were treated to upper management
it will change......now days the customers have to come first or the ship goes down !

Have Steve Welte create a You-Tube video about this and see how their on-line rules change .....it's a new world in the market place !
Randy, I begin to think it's how their security views the way the URL is typed in. If I let the autotype function finish typing the URL, it goes haywire. If I type in the whole thing myself, it works just fine. Mike Burke suggested a desktop shortcut so I don't have to type in anything, and I'm going that way from now on. Ted
Ted: Enzo's is a smart guy, so do whatever is easy for you to not get upset with the suppliers .

I just Google to search, then I put into "Favorites "tab......but sometimes the digital addresses change so then
you have to delete and reorganize ......

Plus every site wants you to sign in with a Password, so I click that to Save......but sooner then later, you have to
figure out what lame Password you typed in and the older we get the less likely we are to remember all this trivial
info.....of course all those Passwords are written down on a piece of scrap paper, but taking the time to go through all that......well......you just go get a newer Password......so much for communication !

The next problem is once you buy something......all these internet based suppliers send you endless email for the deal of the day or worse auto dial your phone relentlessly .

I lost my cell-phone ....cancelled it and decided to not buy another for awhile, the quiet is so nice !

The downside is without a mobile device you are at a big disadvantage if you need something.....like help.

Honestly people have come to the point that they don't know how to look you in the eye and carry on a conversation,
it's all yak yak on their mobile device......end of rant Big Grin

The upside is if you are pushy enough, folks will call others for you, just ask........all depends on the person, you might get a little abuse from certain uppity humans......guess I need to make a phone purchase soon Big Grin !

So much for quiet time......

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The  only purchasing I do on line is from Amazon. I'm sick of having to try to remember login info for every website. With the icon on desktop, all I have to do is click on it, then on "home". I can't believe the whole thing hinges  on whether you type in the "http" or the "https". Autocomplete leaves off the "s", and that messes the whole thing up. I'm a good CAD guy, but I'm totally lost on the computer otherwise. My sis is a computer guru, but she couldn't explain why neglecting to put in the secure URL would force a login to the web page.  TJ