Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quincy
Steve,
I was not there but I'm pretty sure the entry fee at Quincy was very reasonable. If we want to grow the Jr. Class, the price of a junior entry fee might be worth looking at. If Dad daughter and son all run, over $300 can start to get cost prohibitive for many people. Just a thought based on what I have heard from a couple dads.
Give me some feedback...do you really think the entry fee is an issue for juniors...?????

I for one don't like paying S100 plus to run, but,,some of these promoters have to ""rent"" the track for us to play on,,,others pay nothing....

would seem to me that the cost of the equipment would be more of a concern, and travel, lodging...

gw
Gary, The problem I see is it's one thing to have and event and have 2 juniors on the track. It will be another when there are a bunch of them. Most are on 100cc engines . Unrestricted they have a power to weight ratio that can make them faster than the adult classes. These kids can't handle the power in close quarters if they only get track time at a vintage event. If they were a weekly racer that just happened to come to a Vintage event it would be a bit different. Those young racers would be used to close quarter racing. I've seen then show up with 91's and box mufflers and seen them with tuned pipes. Big carbs and small carbs. Oil clutch and dry clutch. No one says anything because they don't want to run anyone off. In VKA we get to modify the engines. So we can, according to the rules put them on a Reed open block. Maybe not dual carbs but we know how fast they can be with just stock appearing on the outside. What the HEY is the governing body thinking? I have no clue. No where in modern racing are juniors running open engines. They are all on a restricted setup of some type. Why? For safety and to learn how to safely race in close quarters and to learn that to be fast you learn to drive in the corners not just punch it out on the straight. Dodge a bullet long enough and one will find you at some point. I don't want to see this happen to the kids entering the sport.
i think the vka jr rule is 80cc's no pipe dry clutch
tk
GEARBOX
Without looking, I'm almost positive it is 100cc to include a mac 91 which is somewhat insane considering the limited seat time these kids have or get. One thing to just make laps, totally another to run close to someone.
Good idea to read the junior rules first?
Yamaha with weed wacker carb, mac 9 and older with 1 inch carb, hard tires and 1 inch axle just like I ran in juniors.
 Here we go with the negative stuff again. 
$100 to ride, compete and use the track for 3 days is too much?   
I offered free entry to juniors at new castle and they declined.  
Don't bother posting just call me or the VKA board members instead of going off in lala land.
Submit your suggestions now while the guidelines are being reviewed for next year.  
I take all of this personal I spend a large amount of my time trying to make vintage great.
I can't get the guidelines to come up on VKA's site, something is wrong with their link or pdf, but if I remember correctly 100cc is allowed even in rear engine karts. That in my opinion is too much power for them. There are quite a few of these kids that just run vintage a handful of times per year, it would maybe be a different story if they ran every week. We attend some combo weekends at Delmar and Brodhead, where Juniors run modern and run vintage classes separately. I know some of the parents that run their kids in modern classes and they are a bit shocked by the straight-away speeds that the vintage kids run, which is much faster than the modern karts minus the ability to corner as fast as the modern kart. They are really scratching their heads on the safety of it. I think the juniors should be limited to 80cc, dry clutch, no pipe, limitation on carb size, in my opinion. Plenty fast, and for some that run engines like Jeff and I do, we would out run a 100cc stock motor anyways. Now if the kid is running a 100cc modified, that's pretty crazy at less than 100 pound driver weight.

As to the cost, I'm with Jeff, its not too much.
I bought my Mc8 last year before I knew anything about Mccullochs. I just went "oh, it's a Mcculloch! It's got to be good!" And off I went. I'm glad I didn't buy a motor that grenaded itself after a couple of laps. Anyways, if the VKA decides that an 80cc max engine is needed for Junior, then I'll get an 80cc engine. My personal opinion is that the earlier 100cc Macs, because they weren't as developed like a 93, are much more acceptable. They didn't have as much power as the later engines. I think mine makes maybe 10 horsepower? It's lightly modified but is not crazy by any means. I would've preferred if that kid I was racing with had a 1 inch carb, Mcculloch or tillotson, and a dry clutch. I understand that we don't want to really exclude anyone from participating at an event, but I also want to make sure that rules are enforced in a friendly but firm manner. Anyone can feel free to chime in on my opinion, good or bad.

PS: does anyone remember the guy's name pitted in pit 24, right next to me? I'm looking to get in contact with him.

Vico
Junior (Boys/Girls ages 10-14)- Single 100cc (6.1 c.u. in.) max. American Fan Cooled Engine (i.e. West Bend,
McCulloch, Power Products, Homelite) or West Bend 820. All engines will run single HL 1” or smaller throttle
bore Any intake allowed, but West Bend must use V-Reed or Go Power, 4 or 6 pedal cage, Vintage style dry
clutch, box muffler and vintage tires required. Yamaha KT100 engine may be used with WA55 Walbro carb,
dry clutch, “limited” exhaust system and vintage tires. (See Yamaha Limited Class for pipe requirements.)
Quincy sure must a been quiet.. no one has said anything about the track, the event, the number of karts , the kart show?????

gw