Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How To Wheel bearing spinning in wheel
I have some wheels that the whole bearing spins in the wheel. Does anyone have a fix for this?

Brad
Loctite makes a bearing mount compound. It works well. Ted
If like on my Gopowers on my Bonanza Mini bike that had seized bearings and the P/O road it anyway the bearings had about 1/16" to 1/8"clearance Loctite won't fix that the only fix is sleeving the wheel Ken
If I just need to add a tiny degree of interference fit, I will put a bunch of evenly-spaced divots around the wheel's bearing bore using an automatic center punch.  At each divot, the material is "upset" surrounding the divot.

That has worked well on things like kart wheels, where the stresses aren't super high, and/or I might want to get it apart someday.

For cases where the bearing bore is wallowed out a bit more, or where the stresses are high, there's Loctite 620.  (That's a tip that I just picked up just a few days ago from Scott K.  It pays to listen!)
One of the 4" front Go Power mag wheels on the n1ke has a bearing that can be pushed in and pulled out by inserting a finger in the bore. These were NOS wheels when I got them, so it was a manufacturing miss on the tolerance of the bearing bore. The Loctite 620 (green) cured the issue and it has been working for six years. If the housing is more worn, up to a .020 annular clearance, the Loctite 660 housing repair (silver) will handle the looseness. This stuff is good enough for factory machinery; it's good enough for our simple machines. Any clearance over .020, unless the wheel half is unobtainable, throw it away and find another, unless you are a machinist with a lathe-with more time than money, in which case make an annular shim sleeve. TJ
Thanks for all the input! I think the loctite will work for mine.

Brad