Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
101 rod bolts
I know this has been covered many times but all is lost since the other forum went down. Question #1 I need a socket or the wrench to remove the rod bolts does anyone have one they will loan or know where I can buy one? Question #2 what is the best replacement for them and who has them? Question #3 is there any interference issues on the rod cap if you use a socket head bolt instead of the splined bolt?

I know there are issues with the stuffer and block where the rod bolt hit and it seems I read somewhere that the caps had to be chamfered? Unfortunately the memory is the first to go...
If you use the Bonbright or US Motor Power 320KSI socket head screws, the rod cap holes need to be chamfered due to the under-head radius on the screws. I found a Dremel conical grinding point, and it puts a very smooth chamfer on the holes. The smooth chamfer means less chance of stress cracks in the cap. You'll have to ask someone like Steve O, or Terry I. what the torque should be. The screws easily take 115 In/LbS, but I don't know if the Mac rod caps like that much crush. TJ
(06-13-2017, 08:38 AM)ted johnson Wrote: If you use the Bonbright or US Motor Power 320KSI socket head screws, the rod cap holes need to be chamfered due to the under-head radius on the screws. I found a Dremel conical grinding point, and it puts a very smooth chamfer on the holes. The smooth chamfer means less chance of stress cracks in the cap. You'll have to ask someone like Steve O, or Terry I. what the torque should be. The screws easily take 115 In/LbS, but I don't know if the Mac rod caps like that much crush. TJ
Thanks Ted for the quick reply. I knew there was something about chamfering the cap but wasn't sure what it was. Is there anyway to get these old Mac 101 bolts out without the special wrench? Once they are out I'll used the new bolt so it won't matter.
Tom, the spline is wrench-specific, and I wouldn't try to get them out with another means. Vise grips might serve, but throw the bolts out immediately after! Maybe one of our members could loan you a spline wrench for a few days? I gave my last one away recently. If you DO use the 320KSI screws, be sure to use a new hex bit to install them. Rounding out the internal hexes wouldn't do! I buy the SK 5/32 hex bits for my 1/3" square drive torque wrench. They have a replacable hex tip. SK part No. is 44310 Ted
by the way i was informed by the manufacturer of the Special WB rod bolts they are actually about 250 K not 320 as we thought. Still the best out there. They will not sell them to anyone else except USMP.
That's funny. for years we've thought these were 320KSI. I had always wondered what material on the planet could supply a 320KSI tensile! Like you say, they're still by far the best out there. I've had them in every West Bend and 101  since Cave B. first started selling them. I sincerely hope the supply won't dry up, considering USMP's unreliability in supplying parts! Ted
(06-14-2017, 07:17 AM)ted johnson Wrote: That's funny. for years we've thought these were 320KSI. I had always wondered what material on the planet could supply a 320KSI tensile! Like you say, they're still by far the best out there. I've had them in every West Bend and 101  since Cave B. first started selling them. I sincerely hope the supply won't dry up, considering USMP's unreliability in supplying parts! Ted

Should I assume these are the same ones that catkart racing has?
Cat Cart can supply you with them. They are not the stock bolts that come with the rod.
Cat Kart has become the main outlet for USMP now. I hope he can keep up the good relationship! I don't like my friends having to wait a year for an 820 block. Ted
(06-14-2017, 12:19 PM)ted johnson Wrote: Cat Kart has become the main outlet for USMP now. I hope he can keep up the good relationship! I don't like my friends having to wait a year for an 820 block. Ted

I have bought from catkart before and never had an issue with them. I also hope they can stay on top of USMP