Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mac 101 help
Hey everyone, I recently purchased a couple of what I believe are Mac 101s that came with a project. One is complete and the other is parts. The complete motor has great spark and about 165psi compression after 3 pulls. There is a bdc 14 on the engine now and a 16 with the parts. I was hoping to be directed to someone who could help me with a carb rebuild/tune/ making sure I'm using the components I should for my application. I live in southwestern Virginia if that helps at all and can compensate with parts/money. Thanks!
rod bolts are a known issue on 101's
i wouldnt start it if it has been sitting seals could be bad too
tk
GEARBOX
I can see from my parts engine that the bolt heads are very unique. I haven't started it, which I guess is lucky because I have tried a few times to no avail. What seals in particular are could be problematic? The only one on the block I am aware of is the base but that seems to be tin or pot metal of some kind. Ideally I would refresh all of the "soft parts" and check all of the hard ones. The engine has been bored .012 over as indicated by the piston. Judging by the the shape/components of the parts motor it looks like it was set up for alky. It has some corrosion like maybe someone didn't flush it and it has the 16 carb and what I believe is a 5 degree flywheel.
Easy,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on you MC101 acquisition. When you get a chance, email the forum Admin to update your profile with your real name and where your located. Some folks innocently overlook it, but it's a forum rule if you're going to post. You'll also get lots more help once the group knows you by name.

Onto the engine for now, the seals Tom mentioned are the crankshaft oil seals found in the inner crankcase cover assembly and in the block on the PTO side. They age and allow air to suck through which could easily be a death nail for a two stroke engine. They ain't makin' anymore 101s so be mindful of the advise that's offered. The wrist pin bearings also get gummed up when the engine sits unused for a while and if they're not replaced you run the risk of exploding your engine if you try to start it and run it even for minute or so.

The BDC14 is a gas application carb and the BDC16 is for alcohol fuel. People have tried running them with the opposite fuel with some success, but if you read through the forum posts of Mr. Steve O'Hara, you'll find they run optimally as outline above. From what you're saying, it definitely sounds like the alcohol fuel wasn't flushed out. There's lots of great information to be had here and tons of experience that can be shared; get your profile updated as soon as you can and good luck with the engine.

Btw, post some photos of the engine from various angles so you can get help identifying it and its components....
Oh, sorry about that. Its sounding more and more like I would do best to find someone to send my engine to who really knows these well, as finding someone local seems like a bit of a long shot. I also need to figure out the posting pictures part. Thanks for the heads up.
Where in virginia do you leave? I'm in Virginia Beach and might be able to help you.

Tom Dandes
I'm in Buena Vista, so not terribly far. Ill send you a PM if I can figure out how to make it work.
(06-08-2017, 07:51 AM)Easy Riser Wrote: I'm in Buena Vista, so not terribly far. Ill send you a PM if I can figure out how to make it work.

I tried to send you a PM but you have it turned off under your settings. can you send me another PM with your e-mail address?

Tom