Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Craigslist Find
Hey everyone, Just wanted to share what I just picked up from craigslist. Please correct me if I'm wrong but based on the research I've done I believe it is a 1960 Go Kart 400 "C". I'm not 100% certain though since the steering wheel is different from what few pictures I could find. Let me know what you think.

[Image: 35126893606_a5e91fe014_b.jpg]
[Image: 35126892726_e8fb6b13a0_b.jpg]
[Image: 35166879315_50a1a00746_b.jpg]
either gk400 or mantis kart ..
Honest Charley Speed Shop sold rebranded Go Karts.....in 1960 when the GK 800 was introduced the GK 400 was obsolete
so if you wanted a good deal you got one from Honest Charley called the Mantis .

I don't have a Mantis ad in my files to show you, but Miller is right ......if you are not on the west coast it's most likely a Mantis Kart .

Look at the welding.....could even be an early GP Muffler kit kart ......sold by Mr. Livingstone, now that would be a
great find !

The engine mount is not for a WB 700, so it probably had a Clinton A-400 for power .....so Mantis Kart Huh

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

hhmmm never seen a gk400 with that steering wheel other than in a picture ..sure looks like gk400 ..so ill bet it is a very early gk400
In the "Complete Handbook Of Karting" there is a chapter on a weld it yourself kart kit , looks like that style. I had a green one given to me that looks homemade , welding wise. Gave it to the nephews.
This was the "Original"  Go Kart kit with straight axle , but for an extra $40 Duffy would weld it for you just like
in the photo .     Karts were always evolving in design .

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

That kart is the twin to mine.
same everything.
i've i.d'd it as an early gk400 but may have to reconsider.
never heard the honest charlie story but i don't disbelieve it.
if it turns out they are rebranded gk400's it would make zero difference to me.

rebranding doesn't usually involve changing anything .
they just call it something else and sell off the obsolete stock that way.
one of my gilsons was factory modified to ride about three inches higher and probably came with a 4 stroke.
zero difference between it and the race version except for the flipped front axle and lower location rear bearing area.

i have a later gk400 with aluminum steering wheel.
the rear sprocket is bigger and the brake system still drum is different too.
we need more info!!

Cool
Dave L.
The original Go Kat 400 did not have the side rails this pic does. Even tho the steering is not like the newer cast wheels , side rails are not the same. I have resurrected several early Go Kart 400 karts and this one is a knock-off of the original.
(06-09-2017, 02:55 AM)Terry Bentley Wrote: The original Go Kat 400 did not have the side rails this pic does. Even tho the steering is not like the newer cast wheels , side rails are not the same. I have resurrected several early Go Kart 400 karts and this one is a knock-off of the original.

Terry,
please tell more.
as i said i have an early gk400 with aluminum sterring whell.
the second gk/mantis?? has the exact same frame.
differences include tapered control arms (cast steering gk) different sprocket (cast gk has a much bigger sprocket) and the brake drum on the cast wheel gk is on the opposite side of the sprocket and a different set up.
BOTH have the welded in side?hip guards and are identical frame wise except for motor mounts.
if i get time i'll get identical pix side by side so we can compare.
as gk's are one of my gfavorite kart frames i'll be pushing for more info!!!
Cool
Dave L.
[Image: 016_zpsicuc8gng.jpg]