Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pull starting
How much effort does it take to pull start a McCulloch MC6 engine. Just got done rebuilding one and man this thing kicks. I can barley pull it a full pull of the Rope.
If timing and compression are right, a Mc6 isn't hard to start. They have plenty of compression, but Macs usually don't kick badly at 26-27 degrees of timing. I haven't done a lot of pull starting in the last 56 or 57 years, but I did start my Mc20 with a recoil when I was 17YO or so. I had no problem. TJ
Mark, great question...I've often wondered myself why more Macs aren't pull started.

Ted, thanks, as always, for the prompt and knowledgeable response. Does this apply to all McCulloch engines? Can the bigger Super Series engines also be pull started if so desired? I've seen them so rarely set up that way but do see the pull starters for them come up for sale every blue moon or so. Just wondering.....
Vince, the big 101's are usually hard to pull, but some guys do pull start. If they are modified, or are on alcohol, forget it! I used to know a guy who had a 101 on a mini bike, and he pull started it all the time. Same with 820's. Ted
got to roll it past the top ..gives ya time to get er spinning a little before it bumps on top again ..makes easy to pull on threw ..

mc6 startsĀ  good

In the 70's blue print era I used to pull start my 91b1. 91b1 with and oil clutch and pipe on alky. You better have a really good grip. It would rip the handle right out of your hand. I've seen it rip flesh from between the fingers. That being understood it would also break or crack the inner flywheel cover about once a month. They were easy to get and cheap back then.
I can barley get a foot of rope out before it kicks and wants to rip it out of my hand.
Mark, sounds like timing might be off a bit.
The fun engines to pull start were the three port West Bend 700's. I've seen them kick and break starter ropes many times. My old friend Mac McCammon had dual 700's on a Hoffco. His hands were always bruised and his skin torn. His son, Denny, usually drove the Hoffco. He could barely start the engines, so his pop started him. TJ
definitely timing issue.
any small mcculloch motor under 1.5 stroke should be dead easy to start.
if it's not you have bad timing (kickback) or no start usually bad carb or pulse hole ( i have LOTS of experience with covered pulse holes!!)
if your motor is a composite theres a good chance you haveĀ something not exactly right.
check you timing by finding top dead center then use the 180 compass.
on the pointless ignition thread that was lightly discussed.
ask here for further info if needed.
Cool
Dave L.
Good thread here. Thanks to all for the great information. I like Steve Miller's tip, it makes sense and it's one of those tips you know is based on experience. To what Steve Welte mentioned; I remember the trouble the seller was having when I was buying my Blackhawk. This guy was 6'3" if he was a foot tall and he nearly ripped his arm off trying to demonstrate that the 101A/A on the kart would start and run. He never did get it going, thankfully, but then again he was simply hand wrapping a tiny pull rope around the pulley starter that was on it. I later found the carb to be a mess internally, the filter screen was cut apart, the duck bill valve was missing altogether and I believe the diaphragm was in upside down.

As I'm still new to this and still learning, I'm curious to know how it would come to be that the inner flywheel cover can become damaged. Steve W. makes a great point in that these parts aren't cheap and easy to find anymore.

Mark, trust in what Ted is saying, he is modest but read through his posts and you'll see there's lots of experience backing his suggestions. Dave's experience with carb issues and timing are also well documented (his words not mine, lol) so that might be a good place to start in checking over if the tip S. Miller doesn't help.

In lieu of a pull starter, can anyone please give any tips or suggestions on how to build one of the pulley starters often seen in the videos of vintage kart events? Particularly, I'm interested in knowing what the best components are to use; such as starter types, battery hook ups and the like. I know they're common, but my limited experience is with the box type ones with the starter nut. Thanks again to everyone for all the great information and for sharing your experiences...